Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you display your vintage clothing?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have so many dresses that I love but don't have the opportunity to wear as much as I'd like. Do any of you ladies display your clothing on dress forms or mannequins in your homes? How do your significant others take it? Is it creepy to have mannequins standing around? And how often do you have to dust? lol

Please post pictures if you have displays.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I've thought about this but decided no, and it was the dust that bothered me most! I don't think having a dressmakers dummy wearing something is creepy. Not so sure about a full mannequin......

I have to say that most of my stuff gets an airing often enough. I wear long evening frocks all the time. It's the daywear that takes longer to get out and about.

I *would* like a hat mannequin but still the thought of the dust bothers me!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I do, but it's not because I own anything that is so special it needs to be seen. I just have a dress form that needs to be dressed! She's my size, but has some rather unsightly water stains. When I'm not using her, I put on various dresses which can be machine washed (since they get rather dusty just out in the open). If my house wasn't so darned dusty, and I didn't have two little ones running around, I guess I would put her in something nice! Right now she's wearing a polyester number from the 70s that is based on a 40s pattern. :eek:

100_1526.jpg

100_1525.jpg

Rachael

A-List Customer
I rotate clothing on my mannequins, just to get them out of the closet now and then. Because I spend so much time down in my studio, I like to keep it interesting.

Nothing is on them for long, however, because I use the mannequins for draping. At the moment, I have one mannequin wearing a black riding coat, one draped with an in-progress purple man's coat, one displaying my son's Civil War uniform to air it out, and one being used as a photo model for my website.

As to whether or not it is creepy to have dressed mannequins in your home, I dressed them all and tucked them into half-lit corners of the house for our Addams Family Halloween party specifically because it can be very unsettling to see a human form out of the corner of your eye. Especially a headless one.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I've tried it. But, even though I have the space, I'm never happy with how it looks. Plus, I use the same dressform for ebay, so when I did that, I was constantly having to move it and undress/redress it. I have recently acquired the Pinnacle of My Collection, and I may find a way to keep that on semi-permanent display, but not until I've worn it enough that people will see it on ME first, before seeing it as a piece of art/furniture.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pdxvintagette said:
I've tried it. But, even though I have the space, I'm never happy with how it looks. Plus, I use the same dressform for ebay, so when I did that, I was constantly having to move it and undress/redress it. I have recently acquired the Pinnacle of My Collection, and I may find a way to keep that on semi-permanent display, but not until I've worn it enough that people will see it on ME first, before seeing it as a piece of art/furniture.

Um, I wanna see the Pinnacle of Your Collection please! :D

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Um, I wanna see the Pinnacle of Your Collection please! :D
Well, I'm getting professional photos taken in it this Sunday. When I get the prints back, I'll post a couple on the Ladies of Lounge thread and let ya' know. I'm going to have to clip it in just a tiny bit, I haven't had it altered yet, and it has just a hair too much room as it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats