Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a set beauty routine?

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
A cool teabag also helps with puffiness, as does a cold spoon (pop one in the freezer for a few minutes to chill.)

I just want to warn you about the cool teabag trick. I tried this once, using what I thought was just tea, meaning that as far as I knew there was no herbal anything in the blend. It felt nice on my eyes but the next morning I woke up and my eyes were puffy, red, and nearly swollen shut. I do have some seasonal allergies; namely to ragweed. After some further research I found out that chamomile is related to ragweed and some people with allergies can have a reaction to chamomile tea. I'm guessing that the tea had some chamomile in it, but it's funny, because no matter what the tea, I never have a reaction when I drink it.

So--just a head's up. Maybe you're lucky and you don't have plant allergies, but I would definitely advise using pure tea. As for me, I'm sticking to cold spoons and cucumber slices. :)

P.S. I've had a bad history with my eyes and allergies. For my junior prom I wore a white gardenia in my hair and woke up the next morning with an awful reaction in one eye. I thought it was the eyeshadow I'd worn, but it must have been the pollen from the flower!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Where is everyone finding their Coty Airspun powder? I used to see it at Walmart, Walgreens and Target, but recently it's been MIA.

I'm dying to try it out, but I can't find any

I find mine at Walgreen's--my local store had several of the "vintage" boxes, which I noticed they recently replenished. However, local stores only seem to sell translucent and translucent extra coverage, so I purchase the Rachel No.1 shade on Amazon.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've found mine at Walgreen's and Wal-Mart, but always near the nailcare products instead of the cosmetics area. And yes, I've also only seen translucent and translucent extra coverage locally, never any other shades.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Ponds Cold Cream

So, do you use this as a regular face wash? Or a product to remove make-up? Also, Is this a product for only dry skin? My skin is combination type skin but also VERY sensitive (where it seems as if I were to put on the wrong thing....break outs :( )

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
So, do you use this as a regular face wash? Or a product to remove make-up? Also, Is this a product for only dry skin? My skin is combination type skin but also VERY sensitive (where it seems as if I were to put on the wrong thing....break outs )

I use it in place of another soap or cleanser. My skin is combination dry, and very sensitive. I also struggled with oiliness and acne for years until I switched to cold cream, which solved my skin troubles :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mysterygal said:
So, do you use this as a regular face wash? Or a product to remove make-up? Also, Is this a product for only dry skin? My skin is combination type skin but also VERY sensitive (where it seems as if I were to put on the wrong thing....break outs :( )

I use it to remove my makeup, then cleanse afterwards with Aveda Botanical Kinetics Cleanser. I love the combination, because the cold cream is very nice on my skin but I don't like the film it leaves, and the cleanser is extremely gentle. Of course then I slather on a 2% benzoyl peroxide cream (and a botanical maoisturizer for sensitive skin).

However, this routine is REALLY working, since I have finals AND my period coming up but my skin is clear!

Miss_Bella_Hell

jitterbugdoll said:
I don't know how you remove the cold cream, but I use a damp washcloth, which doesn't leave a film at all for me :)

Oh...that's a good idea. This is the second time this week on this board that someone mentioned a very good idea that I really ought to have thought of myself! :eusa_doh: (I use facial tissue!)

BegintheBeguine

no pimples after 4 months

I have been using the tip I picked up on the old summer and pimples thread since, well, the summer and have had about 90% fewer breakouts. MK told mysterygal which was substantiated by juniper, jitterbugdoll and fortworthgal: hot or warm water and a washcloth. Plain water. I wear makeup and this takes it and all the other gunk off. Saves me money too since I tried this before trying the cold cream tip.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Boy am I late at replying! Oops!

Dancing Sweetie... I was really hoping that the generic brand would work nicely since it was much kinder to my wallet than Pond's... but it didn't really help me like the Pond's did. Now, I have to say I have SUPER sensative skin, so it may work just as nicely as the Pond's for normal skin, but not mine. :( I have also been trying the Jergen's face cream. It is less than $3.00 for a jar... but I think it may have too much fragrance for my skin.

Oh and thanks on the comment about my new avatar. I can't wait until I can start shooting myself like that! :)

JitterBugDoll... Any flavor of tea? I think I have some old green tea packets I could use. I bought it to help in weight loss, but I can't stand tea so they went unused. If nothing else... I can easily freeze a spoon. :) Thanks! Also, do you use the Max PC all over your face or just as a concealer?

Polka Dot... I guess that answers my question to JBD, which flavor. I'd probably have an allergy attack too! :p

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I use the cold cream as a cleanser. I apply it to my dry face, then tissue it off. Then I apply a second layer, let it soak in for about a minute, and tissue off again. Sometimes I remove it with a warm washcloth instead, it just varies. Then I follow up with some witch hazel toner on a cotton pad to remove the oily residue, and my night cream.

I do this routine in the evenings. In the morning when I shower, I use a "regular" cleanser. You can use cold cream for makeup removal only, OR you could use it in place of a regular cleanser. I also don't think it is only for dry skin. My skin is combination and I actually found that the cold cream helped with greasiness on my nose and chin. You just need to see what works best for you.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Another Powder Room converted Cold Cream user here - it's the only thing that cleared up my acne! I use the cool classic and then removed with Burts Bees Rosewater and Glycerin toner - kinda vintage and then followed by Dan's (acne.org) Benyzol Peroxide and Lashings of Beauty and the Bees moisturisor with Marigold.

I have never had more beautiful skin!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I agree, I love Pond's cold cream,:D I going to try the one for oily skin to see if it does anything better for me, but I was telling my mama about it and she she got all thoughtfull and said "my mum and gran used to use it!" I guess when she was five and what not she'd watch them take off their make up with Pond's cold cream. Cute huh?

Landgirl, how's the Burt's Bees Rosewater toner? I'm afraid to buy it cause it's pretty darn expensive up here, but if it's good stuff I may just need to scrimp a little and try it.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I think it's wonderful CanadaDoll! It says on the bottle for mature/sensitive skin. I am 24, so not quite mature skin yet, but certainly sensitive. The residue left after the cold cream certainly finds it's way out onto the cotton ball when I use it! Eww!!!

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Hello Ladies

I just love reading all about your beauty routines.
I have combo skin, dry on my cheeks and oily in my T zone. I discovered two products that keeps the shine off my face.

Clinac O.C. oil control gel...I've gotten this at my local CVS. You have to ask about it at the pharmacy. You don't need a perscription for it but it will be something they might have to order in for you.

And recently I found a product that Clinique makes called acne solutions. It is very similar to the Clinac O.C. and really keeps the oil down.

I use the clinique product after my moisterizer and before my foundation in the morning.

As for acne treatments my doc. put me on a product called metro gel that I use on my face before bed. Has worked wonders for me and my PMS outbreaks.

And I have to try the Ponds cold cream!:D
~MaryDeluxe

wibblebird

New in Town
Ponds is definitely going to see an increase in sales. I've heard it too many times now. I've bought a jar, I'm going to start using the Ponds in the evening! I have to know if Ponds will make my oily, acne'd skin behave!

Jenautica

Familiar Face
I too, jumped on the cold cream bandwagon. I picked up the original Pond's, a bottle of Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel, and plain Humphreys Witch Hazel just in case I needed something a little stronger to tone with.

I used the cream religously all weekend. My was skin soft and very matte. This morning I was worried that I might be getting a filmy build up on my face, so I chickened out and used my normal cleanser with a scrubbing cloth. Now my TZone is REALLY shiney.

So I guess my question is, if you have combo skin with an oily tzone, do you need to clarify every now and then, or is the build up all in my head?

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I too have a very oily T-zone, but after trying the Pond's I have not gone anywhere near my old salicylic acid cleanser, cause I found it only made things worse. If you feel a little too shiny take a piece of tissue and separate the layers, and use it as an inexpensive blotting paper. I also use powder.

But trust me stick to the Pond's, I'm still in the crazy horomonal skin stage, especially with final exams now, and I have never had better looking skin.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR