Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you have a vintage partner? Show us your mate

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic: Its gotta be down to them....once you show them the basics of where/how you need /wanna be for the music!
He can easily lead others but as i was used to being in control while showing him we just never got past me leading him...!
And I NEED a man to take the lead from me at times...
Thats actually just summed up our whole relationship better than ive ever managed too before......

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
I find that once they have the basics if you show them how to lead. Like you show them how when they spin you they can use their one hand to guide you to spin in a certain direction or how a gentle tug of the arm will bring you back in. Also, that their hand placement on your back makes it easier for him to guide you in the direction you want. They have to be confidant in their dancing too. Just tell them that you are not judging them but you love a man that leads and let him go to it. Hopefully, he will get it.

epr25

Practically Family
I know everyone has seen these. But here they are again. We really need some new shots!
hotellegsmall.jpg
[/IMG]
infrontofcarsmall2.jpg
[/IMG]
houseshotsmall.jpg
[/IMG]

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
epr25 said:
I know everyone has seen these. But here they are again. We really need some new shots!
infrontofcarsmall2.jpg

Wow, what a great picture! You're a very attractive couple!

BTW, that lamp in the hotel shot is hilarious. "That is... The ugliest lamp... I have ever seen... In my ENTIRE LIFE!" lol

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Elaina said:
Which this is going to be a stupid question now, but as a woman, how do you teach them to lead?

I blame a lot of the teaching which tells leaders that leading is a suggestion, or some such crap, and never teach real physical connection and physically leading. Leading isn't a concept. it is physical way of moving.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Been with my partner for 6 years now...We do WW1 and WW2 Living history. I think we're both drifting more into the vintage lifestyle though...he keeps his hair in the style at work and recently grew a 'tache for WW1 Officer, but I kinda like it!!!
He keeps asking me to marry him and I keep saying 'I'll think about it...'

I don't think I should put it off much longer! hahah
officerjames2.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I think that men are basically afraid to be a strong lead, as the women will find them too "rough" or "controlling" or as reetpleat said here, some such cr**. I need and PREFER a strong lead to be able to "get it" and then I KNOW where to go to with my partner on the floor. When I dance in lessons or at a dance with other gents than my husband or son or men other than those I know and have danced with already, I'll tell the guys that. The lady should be able to take the lesson, learn her part and then forget it all during the dance because she simply follows the lead! With men I talk with at dancing, they often complain that the lady has no frame and they cannot lead her, its like trying to drag a woman around the floor. I tell them that those ladies without a good frame are LAZY dancers, and that the guy should dance with a different gal! A good frame (in social ballroom partner dancing) is KEY! (okay off my soapbox...:)) The first thing I ever said to my now husband when we met in a dance lesson way back in Dec. '91 was, "Thank God, a man who can lead."

reetpleat said:
I blame a lot of the teaching which tells leaders that leading is a suggestion, or some such crap, and never teach real physical connection and physically leading. Leading isn't a concept. it is physical way of moving.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't have asked, JMO. Based on where you are out dancing of course being taken into consideration, a lady should assume and expect that the man will be leading. Most places and dance lessons start with that as a given, pretty much. Why would he not? As said by Scott's ex-partner in the film Strictly Ballroom, "Where the man leads, the woman must follow. I had no choice!"

Lady Jessica said:
I danced with a guy once, and I asked him if he was going to lead, and he got all nervous, or something. It's not like I knew the steps, so I wasn't going to be judging him! lol

I'm single, but not really looking. No one around here catches my fancy!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Marry him. 'nuff said girlfriend.

Kitty_Sheridan said:
Been with my partner for 6 years now...We do WW1 and WW2 Living history. I think we're both drifting more into the vintage lifestyle though...he keeps his hair in the style at work and recently grew a 'tache for WW1 Officer, but I kinda like it!!!
He keeps asking me to marry him and I keep saying 'I'll think about it...'

I don't think I should put it off much longer! hahah
officerjames2.jpg

Elaina

One Too Many
I don't lead, I was taught by my father to dance, who did. Now, his back's broken and he's unable physically to teach my son, and his father won't dance, which is where the question came up from.

I don't teach leading as a suggestion, he's a guy and I teach he's to DO it.

It was merely trying to find a suggestion on how to achieve this with a kid, that's all.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
No she's not vintage, but she's great.

However, once or twice a year she'll humor me and dress vintage inspired.

371799108.jpg

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
I wouldn't have asked, JMO. Based on where you are out dancing of course being taken into consideration, a lady should assume and expect that the man will be leading. Most places and dance lessons start with that as a given, pretty much. Why would he not? As said by Scott's ex-partner in the film Strictly Ballroom, "Where the man leads, the woman must follow. I had no choice!"

Good point. I guess from now on I will follow your advice and just assume he'll lead me!

Trickeration

Practically Family
My husband and I met 23 years ago, and have been married 19 years. He wasn't vintage at first, but got hooked on the music about 10 years ago. When he saw the upright bass, it was love. My kids are also vintage, but for my son it's more of an occasional thing. Chris is 15 and Kat is 18.

pict1015.jpg
races14.jpg
42637774007850264007850.jpg
dsc03555mgb.jpg
dsc03650v.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda