Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you know this MGM movie artist?

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
I am going to be selling these on eBay for a friend soon, but I need some help identifying the artist, if possible. I know that the pictures came from a promotional book that MGM sent out to movie theatres, and the pages were taken out. They are perfect for framing. The neat thing about the art is that the artist used real materials for some of the picture-if you look close you can see! They are from the early 40s, near as I can tell. Also, it seems to me that there is a particular name for this medium-if so, does anyone know? I thought some of you would get a kick out of seeing these, even if you didn't know who it may be.
This is only a small sample of what I have-there are ALOT of them! Thanks for any help!

MoviePages1.JPG

MoviePages2.JPG

MoviePages3.JPG

This is the flip side of the last two pages:
MoviePages4.JPG

MoviePages5.JPG

MoviePages6.JPG

MoviePages7.JPG

MoviePages8.JPG

MoviePages9.JPG

MoviePages10.JPG

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Those are beautiful! They look a bit like the work of noted cartoon caricaturist T. Hee, who mostly worked in animation at Warners and Disney in those days. Try looking him up on Wiki...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
They look like photographed collages. Wow! You tend to think of everything of that era as black and white, it's so cool to see such VIVID color images!
EDIT: Having looked at the Kapralik link, it makes me wonder if he dismantled some of his creations once they had been photographed, to recycle the little props. Thus making the originals rare or non-existent.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
THANK YOU!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I knew if I posted them here, someone would know. They are so striking and gorgeous, it is going to be hard to give them up, even if they aren't mine to begin with! ;)

One thing I do love about this place is that the brain trust and knowledge base is HUGE!! You guys rock! :D

CharlieH.

One Too Many
You're welcome! And thanks to you too for posting these nifty pictures, I almost went crackers when I first saw them. It only took those few examples I linked to to make me a fan of this guy. Marvelous stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn