Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you make a date of it or a night at home?

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I much prefer staying home with my sweetie to watch movies. There aren't many good movies coming out these days, and we have a huge collection of old movies he has recorded from TCM. I like making yummy snacks and staying in, which saves tons of money too.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Some movies deserve to be seen on the big screen. Dances With Wolves or the Lord of the Rings trilogy come to mind. But overall, I'd much rather stay home, make something good to snack on and watch a good film in a comfy chair with a non-sticky floor and no 7 foot tall guy in a cownboy hat in front of me. :p

*Bonus* Movie theatres don't have "open bar!"

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I like to watch films at home in bed on my television. I haven't been to the movies in a long time. I don't remember how long and I don't think I'll ever go back. I don't like crowds and I stress over parking, getting my ticket validated for parking, and how dirty the seats are. Plus, the projectionist gets made when I try to "pause."

I am much more comfortable at home.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes my best friend and I will rent a movie and do a potluck dinner--a good but inexpensive evening.

If someone asked me on a date to come over and watch a movie, I'd pass.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to admit, I still love going to the movies. My wife and I don't get much of a chance to go any more now that we've got the little one, but when we do we like to go with my sister and brother-in-law and really make a night of it.

There's a cinema complex near my sister's place that's got a video game arcade, so us big kids go and make like we're ten-year-olds in there for a while (you should see my wife shoot them big ol' dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park game!:) ). Sometimes we hit the food court for some junk food, and then we head into the cinema. We usually pick movies, as Scotrace said, that will really shine (sorry about that pun) on the big screen, like King Kong, LOTR, etc.

Our baby girl is almost two now, and we took her to her first movie last month, Ice Age 2. She's mad about Nemo, so we figured she'd sit quiet through Ice Age, and she did - she really loved it. So when there are suitable movies for her to watch, we'll be able to take her out for some fun.

flat-top

There's pros to both: if it's a movie you're both dying to see, then go out to dinner, and see the movie. Make a night of it! Then, if you REALLY like that movie, watch it again at home a few months later and order a pizza! Both scenarios sound great to me!
flat-top

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Much prefer at home.

"NEW" movies, such as "Lord of the Rings" I took the kid to see in the Theater. However, MOST of my movies are DVD classics Film Noir, which you can't see on the big screen. Occasionally there is a film festival, or a local independent theater will show "Casablanca" on the big screen...but I've seen it 50 times..:eek:

Oh, and the PAUSE button works well when the wife comes in and askd some question, the phone rings, someone at the door, or the quick run to the fridgelol

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Usually at home. We *had* a fantastic, brand-new multiplex here for a few years, but new management (Regal) has run it into the ground.

Strider

One of the Regulars
I like to go see movies. I like to sit down in front of a big fat screen with some popcorn and soda, and forget about the world for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I might take my girlfriend to see a movie, but I would most likely hesitate to take a date to go see a movie.

Girlfriend implies that the initial courtship is over, and that the two of you are comfortable enough around one another that the constant need to impress the other has diminished somewhat, or at least is done in other ways.

Date is a whole other word. Maybe after several dates I would consider a movie, but never on the first.

Movies don't really give you the chance to talk, to find out anything about one another. I understand that that's what dinner is for, but then you're rushed. "Oh, come on, the movie's about to start!"

By the time dinner is over, a woman knows whether or not she would like to see a man again. Anyone who believes otherwise is naive. Of course, with dating being what it is in this day and age, the average woman will know whether or not she wants to see you again once dinner is over, but even if the answer to that question is "no", she will still allow you to take her to a movie anyways :rolleyes: , which will run you another 20 bucks. :eusa_doh:

Want to really test someone's mettle? Go skydiving.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Strider said:
I like to go see movies. I like to sit down in front of a big fat screen with some popcorn and soda, and forget about the world for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I might take my girlfriend to see a movie, but I would most likely hesitate to take a date to go see a movie.

Girlfriend implies that the initial courtship is over, and that the two of you are comfortable enough around one another that the constant need to impress the other has diminished somewhat, or at least is done in other ways.

Date is a whole other word. Maybe after several dates I would consider a movie, but never on the first.

Movies don't really give you the chance to talk, to find out anything about one another. I understand that that's what dinner is for, but then you're rushed. "Oh, come on, the movie's about to start!"

By the time dinner is over, a woman knows whether or not she would like to see a man again. Anyone who believes otherwise is naive. Of course, with dating being what it is in this day and age, the average woman will know whether or not she wants to see you again once dinner is over, but even if the answer to that question is "no", she will still allow you to take her to a movie anyways :rolleyes: , which will run you another 20 bucks. :eusa_doh:

Want to really test someone's mettle? Go skydiving.

I've been on many a dinner date that I had wished was a movie instead! :eusa_doh: I mean the kind where you manage to converse for about 10 or 15 minutes,.....then you have to sit there in excruciating awkwardness,.....:whistling

Me: "So what kind of music do you like?" :)
Her: " Oh, I like Cher, and whatever they play on the radio."
Me: " I see, :( do you have any interests or hobbies,..talents?" :)
Her: "No."
Me: :(
And so on.
One of the most torturous hours I have spent on earth. But even as I walked her to her car, I asked her if she would like to go out again, to be nice, and to see if it was just maybe the wrong night or something. (She said ,"No, we're not compatable.", thankfully :rolleyes: )
It's experiences like these that make a movie not such a bad idea as a first date. Just go to a good movie that you both agree on early, then go out for a drink or something afterwards. Then you've got something to talk about.

Skydiving doesn't sound so bad either,.....lol

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
Depends. The last movie I went to see was Ice Age: The Meltdown and I took my daughter with me. It was worth the price of the movie ticket just to hear her laugh. I also loved seeing "The Lord of the Rings" in the theater, too. If it's a movie I really want to see, I'll go to the theater.

But nothing beats a nice Friday evening at home with a bowl of popcorn, some Diet Pepsi, and a good classic film.

Mike in Seattle

Most of the time, I fix something and we watch DVD's here at home. That was the plan for tonight...until someone asked me to show him how Ebay worked for an old Met recording one of his vocal teachers made in the 50's or 60's...and dinner became charcoal. Ah...explaining Ebay to the newbies. "How come it said $19.95 and it jumped up to $31?" "Because the other bidder had $30.50 as their high bid." "Well, that's not fair - why didn't it show me what his top bid was to start with." <sigh>

I admit it - I *am* an old movie fanatic. We were going to get a widescreen plasma TV so we could have "old movie parties", but my partner always takes new technology to the extreme. 36" became 42" and then 50" and now I'm hearing about 55" and upgrading our standard DirecTV to HD...Once he started talking bigger than 42" I started saying, "Well, we might as well call out the contractors and have the bay window walled up because there'll hardly be any of it visible with that large a screen..."

Now I'm thinking more along the lines of a LCD projector that I can also use when I teach a few classes during the year. And I'm kicking myself for NOT grabbing some of the short rows of seats when they remodeled an old movie theatre into a church next to the office years ago. I almost grabbed 2 of the six-seat rows and I've regretted it since.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I try to take any opportunity to get out of the house, so, if a good movie is playing, I want the big screen! Though on my lazy Sunday afternoons, there's nothing better than getting wrapped up in a blanket on the couch and watching some good old flicks :D

Mrs. MK

New in Town

I like to sit at home and watch a movie in my pajamas. I also love to go out, as long as it's a nice theater. Vancouver, Washington has some nice new theaters, and there are many other "interesting" old theaters around too.

This one posted twice. I guess the moderator has to delete it. Can you fix this MK? Please honey?

Mrs. MK

New in Town

I like to sit at home and watch a movie in my pajamas. I also love to go out, as long as it's a nice theater. Vancouver, Washington has some nice new theaters, and there are many other "interesting" old theaters around too.

Strider

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I've been on many a dinner date that I had wished was a movie instead! :eusa_doh: I mean the kind where you manage to converse for about 10 or 15 minutes,.....then you have to sit there in excruciating awkwardness,.....:whistling

I'm lucky. I've been able to have that 10-15 minute interval before we actually order. At that point, I get very frank, and tell them that it's obvious that we're going nowhere, and that maybe we should leave. If they disagree, I'll stay, but I'll be darned if I pay for their dinner at that point.

Maj.Nick Danger said:
It's experiences like these that make a movie not such a bad idea as a first date. Just go to a good movie that you both agree on early, then go out for a drink or something afterwards. Then you've got something to talk about.

Good point, but I just think it's awkward sitting in a movie theatre with a girl you don't even know. Why go to a movie with a woman, unless she's either a friend (the implications of that word when in relation to a female I won't even go near) or already your girlfriend? You might as well be going alone if you go with a strange girl, and I don't go to movies alone.

With skydiving, if she turns you down, at least you can hope that her chute won't open. lol

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Ugh.. dating. No thanks!

But anyway..

I agree with the general concensus here. I like to see big movies that i'm amped up for at the theater. Star Wars, X-Men, Troy, etc. But, eventually, I buy all these movies on DVD. I currently have about 180+ DVDs in a pretty wide variety. I LOVE sitting at home, settign the lighting how I want it, turning on the surround sound, and watching a great film. Especially a horror movie! Just the other night I lit candles everywhere and watched a movie called "The Devil's Backbone". Freaky!! I'll be posting a synopsis one of these days.

Citizen Ed

Familiar Face
If there were only a decent theatre in vicinity that would still be my chosen mode for star gazing. For me at least there will always be something magical about the big screen. Unfortunatly the majority of cinemas in my area have become the diabolical multiplexes with their rapidly multiplying screen counts, dwindling seat sizes and even less leg room. I'm not saying I should have enough room to lie down and take a snooze should the urge hit but neither should I hop into my Yugo after the credits have rolled and say "Man it's good to finally stretch out". The audio bleedover fom the screen next door due to Nilla Wafer walls is a turn off too. So until someone halts the insanity and prevents the impending appearance of the theatre googleplex, I'll stay in, turn the lights low, put my arm around the Bride of Ed and watch Bogie and Bergman on the smaller but more comforting home screen.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I live in an arts district downtown and absolutely hate getting near multiplex/malls...too anticeptic, too suburban. There's a great old theater here that shows classics...even has a Wurlitzer for the silents. What's fun about going there is that most people have seen the films being shown several times so it's okay to cheer, boo, hiss, whistle and such during the show. It makes for a fun date. When was the last time anyone got to see Chinatown on the big screen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff