Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own a Tux?

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Man said:
And here's a photo of me in my tails dated 1948 however, they look earlier then that:

520742907_l.jpg
Love that shot! :eusa_clap

Ken"Hollywood"

New in Town
Lancealot said:
I have been considering picking up a tuxedo for veriuos formal events. I tend to get invited to 2 or 3 through the year that I'd like to get a little more dressed up then a black suit. That got me to wondering who owns a tux and how often do you get to wear it?
I have a Black Tux with crystal cufflinks and studds. I wear it to various events throught the year. Pic is of my wife and I. :D
0002.jpg

CRYSTALCUFFLINKSSTUDS.jpg

Warden

One Too Many
I must say, I have the opposite problem. I wear mine so frequently I have had to buy another bow tie as mine wore out and began to fray

What ho Ben

You know I think I will take your advice and wear my tux for a New Years Eve party Edna and I are going to.

Harry

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
_RAGNAR_ said:
The belt and loops would only add thickness and bumps where they are not needed. The other is precisely because the pants are supposed to be worn high. Starting with white tie the pants are very high as the waistcoat is not that low, and the front of the waistcoat should be covered by the jacket. To lower all of that would make you look shorter which is not the job of black or white tie. In Black or White tie a man should look his tallest, his thinnest of waist, and his broadest of shoulder. Lowering or thickening the waist in any way does not help accomplish this.

I see what you are saying, however, my favourite three piece suit is made to be worn with a belt and it still works fine, as the jacket is cut very tightly, making you look thin anyway. Also, in my case I might want to make an exception, as I am quite tall and thin anyway, so I look tall without braces/suspenders. As to pulling up the trousers; this is only needed in white tie, as a dinner jacket worn for black tie extends to well below the waist line.

David V

A-List Customer
dhermann1 said:
I just stumbled on this image at Shorpy.com. It's from 1915. If you look closely at his trousers, they seem to be checked. Interesting, huh?
This image really makes you realize what a shock the changes in the 1920's must have been.
http://www.shorpy.com/node/4761?size=_original

In AA/Esky they showed a variety of black and gray patterns for formal and semi-formal day wear. Checks, hound tooth's, Prince of Wales checks and lots of stripes.

Buddy

New in Town
Two DJs here, one black, two-button, notch with satin lapels that I had to buy and have completely recut in a hurry for a wedding (I was one best man - the other best man turned up in jeans), and the other an ivory one-button shawl collar with self facing lapels that I had MTM by a tailor in Bangkok. I'd like to have a SB peak-lapel black or midnight blue one made up, ideally with grosgrain lapels, but my current tailor isn't flexible when it comes to hunting for new trim fabrics. :rolleyes:

In recent times both DJs were getting yanked out 15 - 20 times a year because I cruise a lot and used to travel on the QE2 (4 black tie nights on each 6 day crossing!), but now that the QE2's retired I'll be down to 8 - 12 times a year since most other lines have only 2 formal nights per week.

BTW, on Cunard, the white DJ is generally considered only suitable for semi-formal nights and only for use in the actual tropics. The idea is to stay in step with the officers who wear dress blues on formal night, and whites on semi-formal.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Vintage-y Bill Blass tuxedo

I recently picked up a Bill Blass tuxedo that looks to be from the early to mid-'70s.

Tux.jpg

I know that Bill Blass Ltd. was created in 1970, and the single-button jacket has a union label from the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, which apparently merged with another union in 1976, and changed names. That's the basis for my shot-in-the-dark dating guess.

UnionLabel.jpg

The tux has a Bill Blass label, the union label and a Saks Fifth Avenue label, but no label indicating materials used in its construction. Does anybody know when such labels became standard practice? It feels like good-quality material, though, and is fully lined.

BillBlass.jpg

The lapel threw me at first, but a little research suggests that it's a cran Necker or Parisian lapel -- more popular in Europe than in the U.S. It looks good to me, if for no other reason than that it's a little different. It's interesting -- to me, anyway -- that Blass adopted that French-style feature.

Lapel.jpg

The jacket is tagged as a 40R (my size) but I'm glad I do my sit-ups, since the whole ensemble, top and bottom, is cut for somebody with a trim figure. If I need any encouragement to keep running, a desire to slip into this outfit without bulging anywhere is it.

The trousers fit perfectly -- no suspender buttons, and they're not needed. The jacket is a little tight in the shoulders, so I'll let my tailor have a go. There seems to be more than enough material to make a bit of room.

Anybody have any info that might help me out?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot