Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear curlers in front of your Significant Other?

V-Sweetheart

New in Town
Here is a delicate subject or perhaps I am vain. How do you deal with the whole wearing curlers is not sexy?! I love looking totally put together for my BF. (He loves the whole package:hair, nails, clothes) We are now spending more and more time together. We are both middle aged divorcees -so no spring chickens here. However, I am afraid to wear curlers to bed when he is staying over. (The sleep curlers give me the best set.) I try to keep my hair together for a couple of nights in a row, but sometimes he surprises me (with roses and his presence) and I had planned to wash my hair. What do you girls do? When did you do the curler thing? We have been dating 1 year and are extremely happy. Your thoughts Ladies...

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
My bf HATES the curlers. He pokes fun everytime he sees me in them, but I still wear them in front of him. Sometimes, you gotta do what ya gotta do. [huh]

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I rarely ever curl my hair, but when I do they're out in all their glory. He doesn't seem to mind it. If you're self conscious I second the scarf idea- can look pretty darn cute, actually!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Yes, and I don't know any housewives who in the past haven't worn curlers around their family. That said, it was never a regular occurence around here and it'll happen even less frequently in the future because of my new hair goals.

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
I don't as my bf doesn't think curlers are very becoming (wearing curlers and thick face cream to bed instantly reminds him of his mother) and likes it when I sit in front of his mirror and use a curling iron instead.

Suits me as I don't care to remind him of his mother, lol.

AnnaMaria

New in Town
I have naturally curly hair, so I don't curl my hair very often, but when I do I make pincurls and I put a scarf over and my bf think I look adoreable. But I would do it even if he didn't like it.

PS

A-List Customer
I do. I actually wear them just about anywhere. It's funny when I have my rollers in, dh instantly starts referring to me as Curly Sue.
He likes that they take time off my morning routine, if I set overnight all I have to do is remove and can be ready to go in less time than if I had to start from scratch.
The type of roller I wear requires different things, a pin curl gets a banana-ala rosie style. Foam rollers get tied up from underneath like wearing a ribbon ( i can't stand the rustling sound of the rollers on my ears) Rag rollers usually flop around or maybe get a scarf and on my velcro days its just impossible to cover them.

Concerned with wearing them out of the house, Lolita Haze said that no one knows if you are a model, an actress or a bride on her wedding day. That has given me the confidence to wear mine out. Just happens that I am an actress so if anyone says anything I ask them what they do for a living.

Inky

One Too Many
Not only do I wear them in front of him, but he helps me set the back of my hair since I cannot move my left arm up enough to do it. He's a sport, that man o' mine!

He does, however, still make fun of the pink net scarf I wear when I have curlers in ;)

The Shirt

Practically Family
I've started doing hot sets for the ease of it. My lightened hair is a bit fried and the results with wet sets aren't working these days. Regardless some of my favorite moments are when the BF stands in the doorway and hovers while I'm getting ready. He giggles and is in awe when I'm sporting the full head of rollers. I tend to keep my flirt up in those moments - I think if you are confident and feeling sexy in rollers - he's probably going to find you irresistable too.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
I don't use rollers but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to wear them infront of my boyfriend. I think its a bit silly not wanting to wear them infront of him incase he doesn't like them.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
Like Making Laws or Sausage...

I've worn curlers in front of the husband, and he's generally amused. But then again he likes the end result, so he knows better than to make fun of me in case I stop trying.

I've never had the nerve to wear curlers out and about...though if I found a cute enough scarf to cover my head I'd consider it.

RD

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I don't use curlers on a daily basis, but when I want a good set, I like rag curlers. My hubby thinks they are adorable. They don't even seem to deter him from romance. ;) lol

I agree with the gals who suggest scarves and sleep caps if you are uncomfortable with the look, but personally, if I were you, I might give it a whirl and see how it goes. I wouldn't pick a night where you were looking for romance, but maybe the evening before a big date or event? He'd understand why you had them in, and it might let you gauge what he thinks...

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
I refuse to go out or be seen in rollers or pincurls, since this is the case I have invested in a late 1930's hood dryer that will get me dry in 45 minutes flat. I just don't like to look undone in front of random people and believe that I need to look polished in front of my significant other.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
In short, Yes.

When I first met my boyfriend, he saw me in curlers even before we were going out, so he knew what he was getting into! lol

Now he is treated to the sight of a full wet set every time we are going anywhere. I do it the evening before then sleep on it. He jokes about me looking like a granny but doesn't seem to care too much. If I have to go anywhere beforehand, I usually take them out once it's dry, don't comb or brush it then either put a snood/net over the back, tie on a scarf around the top and just roll the front into little rolls or pincurls till it's time to get ready.

I once went up London like this on a Saturday before a dance and so many people asked me if I was a model or actor. And these were vintage clothes dealers so they must be used to seeing interesting people round and about. Made me chuckle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner