Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear curlers in front of your Significant Other?

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
I guess a lot of this purely comes down to logistics and available time to beautify yourself. If I tried to do all my beautifying routines without hubby seeing, I'd have to stay up til 1 am and get up at 4am! Hubby doesn't usually go to bed til 11-12ish and gets up at 5am, we both work 40hr weeks, he's pretty much always at home and around when I am pincurling/shaving/waxing/plucking/applying makeup/dying hair etc etc. So either I'd look like a hag from no sleep, not do any beautifying (now thats a scary option), or do it when he's around. I would dearly love the option of being able to do a set during the day when he is at work but me not having to work just isn't going to happen.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Ya know, my husband has seen me with the flu, banged up from a car accident, was in the delivery room with 2 babies, helped me with various beauty issues when 9 months pregnant, helped me with the prep for a colonoscopy. After 14 years of marriage, there's no real mystery left. How can there be if he's truly your life partner? Seeing me in curlers does nothing to our marriage that catching a baby didn't do.

shepkatt

Familiar Face
Egggzactly Kamikat.. :) My husband thinks it is funny.. He pokes fun at me when I have in my curlers but I am not embarrased to wear them.. 22 years together - believe me - curlers are not the most embarrasing thing he has seen :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
there's no real mystery left. How can there be if he's truly your life partner?

Agree. My husband actully tells me that his ex used to wake up super early to put on makeup because she didn't want him to see her without it. He also told me she used to walk on her tip-toes to make her legs look longer. My husband's thoughts about this: "It was stupid!" LOL

As for a boudoir cap -- my husband would probably forbade me from wearing one. LOL. It wouldn't dry my hair in time anyway.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
My husband thinks I look cute with my hair curled up. I'm afraid I don't have the time, patience or tact to try and be subtle about any beauty regime I have. Luckily he seems to find me attractive in whatever state I'm in - and he's seen me in some fine ones!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I am in the same boat as many of you ladies we share a room we both work and we have two kids theres not hiding the roller/pin curls in my house now the waxing and the shaving I lock the bathroom door the boys can go pee in the yard they like that better anyway in nice weather.

monicacaroline

New in Town
Wowwie! I'm all for not letting yourself go and making an effort,especially when you're cohabiting.
But some of these statements are sexist and seriously outdated.
I am guilty of locking myself in the bathroom to get my some of my ugly primping on (waxing/bleaching/plucking/popping).
But curlers? They're pretty cute.
and as Smutteralla so eloquently put it.
I'd rather stay single than play games.

Nashoba

One Too Many
See now I'm the crazy idiot who found out the hard way why you don't wet set your hair in pincurls, tie it up in a scarf and then try to catch a plane. The TSA agents were highly amused when I set off the metal detectors and had to take off my scarf. But I had somewhere to be within a couple hours of getting off the plane and I hadn't had time to set and fix my hair the night before. We all got a good laugh and went on with it. They have an amusing story to tell and so do I.
I live with my husband and my little brother. Both are acutely aware of what it takes for me to look and feel pretty. If I have to set my hair, I have to set my hair and they can deal with it. My brother will make fun of me, but my husband doesn't mind it. He also is one of those who will ask if I have enough time to fix my hair. heck he'll ask me how much time I'll need so he can set the alarm accordingly.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
See now I'm the crazy idiot who found out the hard way why you don't wet set your hair in pincurls, tie it up in a scarf and then try to catch a plane. The TSA agents were highly amused when I set off the metal detectors and had to take off my scarf. But I had somewhere to be within a couple hours of getting off the plane and I hadn't had time to set and fix my hair the night before. We all got a good laugh and went on with it. They have an amusing story to tell and so do I.
I live with my husband and my little brother. Both are acutely aware of what it takes for me to look and feel pretty. If I have to set my hair, I have to set my hair and they can deal with it. My brother will make fun of me, but my husband doesn't mind it. He also is one of those who will ask if I have enough time to fix my hair. heck he'll ask me how much time I'll need so he can set the alarm accordingly.

My husband was the idiot who set off the metal decting wand with his nicotene patch when he was quiting smoking lol

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
You're not the first... I had that happen too. If it isn't my garter clasps setting off the detector it's the bobbypins in my pincurls! I remember the TSA asked if I would take out the bobby pins.... I looked at her and said, "Seriously? I will if I have to, but it's a bitch." She let me through.

Foofoogal

Banned
Never thought of this at airports. Funny.

Aw Lolita. You would look just as lovely in bobby pins as not.
P.S. Some can pull it off and some need all the help we can get.

Nashoba. Glad to see you back around.

annet

One of the Regulars
i never got stopped for that, but i did get taken apart for the scissors and scalpels in my bag (note to self: always check your drawing equipment for illegal stuff before a flight...)

i've been straight-haired for a few days now since i didn't have time to set my hair the last time i washed it (a few hours before class) and i brushed the natural curls out so it would dry fast enough (it's cold outside and blowdrying turns my hair into frizz) and it bores me to hell! i'll wash it again tomorrow night and do a new wet set. pshaw!

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I do. Living in an apartment where everyone knows each other has a way of making you less shy to be seen by EVERYONE in pajamas, curlers, no makeup etc. I'm sure he doesn't love it, but he's kind enough not to make fun of me because he loves the result so much. All he's ever said was that it was cute. I also very much agree with the scarf idea! You could make it very Rosie.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I always try to time it so I set my hair the night before I see my boyfriend, but there've been a few occasions when he's had to see me in them, unfortunately! I do however cover them with a hairnet and a headscarf, and he admits this looks cute...just not very sexy ;) :D

When I first started setting my hair he was really not keen, especially as my 'hairnet' is, shamefully, a pair of old (clean!) tights cut off :D mind you, I'm sure I'm not the only girl who's refused to pay for a bit of stretchy net material...

I totally agree that if a man's gonna kick up a serious fuss about what you have to do to look gorgeous - for him and/or yourself - he's not the man for you! It would be lovely if one could maintain the illusion of naturally looking lovely, never letting anyone see you in rollers etc, but I think in today's world it's a tall order!

I have also gone out in rollers, for example when I've set my hair and the weather's really bad, but I always cover it with the hairnet and scarf. I think only my family have seen me with uncovered rollers/just the hairnet.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Like many of you - my hair in pin curls is not the most embarrassing or unsexy state my fiance has seen me in!!! :) We're very open with each other, we never even shut the bathroom door anymore! This may not sound very romantic exactly... but there's something weirdly comforting and lovely about the fact that he loves me at my worst as well as at my best! :)
Although having said this, I do understand wanting to feel put together and pretty in a new relationship! It probably took me about a year of living together before I properly relaxed all pretense of being all girly! But I still would never pass wind around him... haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner