Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear your Aero while driving (does the jacket get seatbelt rash)?

bicktrav

New in Town
I've got a 30's half belt that I absolutely love. When I ordered it Insurrection suggested I get corduroy lining on the interior of the waist to avoid "belt rash"--your belt causing scrapes in the leather. It occurred to me that if you drive regularly in your jacket, a seatbelt could do the same thing or worse on account of the arm movements necessary to steer. Still, I've driven with my jacket on quite a lot. I've just started to notice some mild abrasions where the seatbelt rests. Have any of you noticed this? Should I stop wearing it while I drive?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I don't have an Aero, but i do wear my leather jackets while driving ( Lewis Leathers and Schott)
It does show on the jacket.

The noticeable things are:

Marks on the right side near the bottom edge where the seat belt clips in.
Marks on the right pocket where the seat belt rubs on the edges of the pocket.
Marks across the chest on each side of the zipper.
Marks on the left elbow where it rubs on the door panel and window edge.

For some reason it doesn't show any wear on the shoulder!

To be honest i don't care, it's a jacket, its meant to be worn and what you do in it will only add to its character.
I mean, i ride in it, drive in it, eat in it, have slept in it, that's what makes it look good!

Last edited:

bicktrav

New in Town
I don't have an Aero, but i do wear my leather jackets while driving ( Lewis Leathers and Schott)
It does show on the jacket.

The noticeable things are:

Marks on the right side near the bottom edge where the seat belt clips in.
Marks on the right pocket where the seat belt rubs on the edges of the pocket.
Marks across the chest on each side of the zipper.
Marks on the left elbow where it rubs on the door panel and window edge.

For some reason it doesn't show any wear on the shoulder!

To be honest i don't care, it's a jacket, its meant to be worn and what you do in it will only add to its character.
I mean, i ride in it, drive in it, eat in it, have slept in it, that's what makes it look good!

Very good point.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I always drive with my jacket on in winter. I have never seen this on any jacket I have had including Aeros. Strange.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I never noticed...if it came to the point that I am thinking about marks to the leather, I have to ask myself who is working for whom. One thing I do anyway is always pull the jacket, no matter what it is, sport coat, leather jacket, topcoat, up and out of the belt so it rides on top....just more comfortable that way, more freedom of movement.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Driving with new jackets is how I help to break them in. I'll settle for more marks in exchange for quickened break-in and softening.

Worf

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Driving with new jackets is how I help to break them in. I'll settle for more marks in exchange for quickened break-in and softening.

Worf

+1 Yes driving is one of the best ways to break in leather particularly heavy FQHH. When I have a new one I do the opposite of the poster above who takes it off to drive and wear it at the wheel as much as possible. Even wearing it on a nice day and taking it off when I get out of the car.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I took a peice of sheepskin velcro and Sewed it, its on the seatbelt Over the shoulder and on the waist, took some doing but its comfy.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Of course I do and of course it shows. Same as some wear on the right shoulder, where I carry my laptop-case. The collar is mangled because I used to put it on a bar-stool and sit on it. And? :biggrin: It's a leather-jacket, after all. :D

karhu21

One of the Regulars
When you consider the aviators of the two world wars, its highly unlikely that the uppermost thought in their minds was belt marks on their leather
flight clothing..more like flak, cannon shells and shrapnel whilst dodging machine gun bullets.
Not to mention the oil, hydraulic fluid, smoke and flames, rain and hail from bullet riddled windscreens, seawater from having to bale out and
constant sweat and ultimately bullet holes and blood.
So a few marks from a car seat belt don´t amount to much at the end of the day!

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I do and it really doesn't show the seat belt marks.
That's why I change my car's oil in my Aero and walk on it to give it the worn in look.
The worse my Highwayman looks, the better it looks IMHO.
Lenny

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Here are the pictures of my jackets seat belt wear after a years wear:

It's a Schott 644, pretty much a 141 but with "Deluxe heavy Steerhide" insead of "Naked cowhide"

The jacket is worn to drive, ride, eat, sleep, work on my car, work on my bike, walk in the woods, pretty much anything!

DSC_3974_zps7f6ea6c4.jpg

Bottom right edge and right pocket, were the seat belt rubs most:

DSC_3975_zps3c27def3.jpg

DSC_3976_zps462a5be8.jpg

Chest pocket:

DSC_3977_zps95c50682.jpg

Main zipper across the stomach, where the seatbelt rests if the jacket is closed:

DSC_3978_zps993b5e9d.jpg

Left elbow, rubbing on the door panel:

DSC_3979_zps9d5c1304.jpg

As you can see, it's nothing to be really worried about, if anything it looks pretty cool!

Dav

One Too Many
Yes, I do all the time. Just had a look at my Teamster and I can't see anything that I'd blame on the seat belt, yes there's some scratches and so forth, but nothing at all to be bothered about. Jacket is about seven months old btw.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Following on from Dumpster Diver, I have a seat-belt pad but that's more to do with comfort in the summer when driving in a T Shirt. I'm with the drive, sleep & eat in it approach to jacket ownership. My ELC Irvin for example was purchased specifically for open air motoring in my old SAAB convertible. I like a leather with life experience :cool:

wild_balls

Practically Family
My 30's halfbelt and all the other Aeros gets the "belt rash", not a big problem, just make sure you have one left hand and one right hand drive vehicle to even the rash!:D

Cheers Joakim

pak

One of the Regulars
Abuse does not produce a good look. If this was the case then dragging the coat behind the car on a dirt road would be the standard break in procedure.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Abuse does not produce a good look. If this was the case then dragging the coat behind the car on a dirt road would be the standard break in procedure.

It's a jacket man! NOT fine china! No one's talking about fakey wear and tear... we're talking real world battle scars.... If you've a jacket you're scared to let see the light of day... what good is it! I've GoodWears, Vansons, Aeros, Langlitz' AND Schotts... If they're in the closet they do you NO earthly good.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran