Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do your best/worst!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh the pressed jeans!

Rosie said:
My dad used to press his jeans, I always got a kick out of that.

I usually get my compliments from older women and men of color. Maybe it's just the neighborhood I live in.

My family use to do that too. That crease on the denim down the thigh was mighty fine. Did your fam do their white cotton t's as well? And yes, church was when everyone dressed to the nines. I grew up in a southern church, and seeing all the hats was always a highlight of my morning. The mens suits are a bit more 'pre made' if that makes any sence. Attention to personal details are not as paramount as they use to be when I was younger.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
THe hats

Viola said:
I am shy about walking up to people I don't know on the street, (can we say city girl?) but I REALLY want to know where these ladies buy their hats! Maybe they bought them years ago, I don't know, but older black women on their way to church have an disproportionate number of spectacularly great hats.:eusa_clap

Orthodox Jewish women also often tend to dress in a vintage-esque style frequently since they need long sleeves and long skirts and often wear hats to cover their hair. (Their hats are rarely in the same league as the Baptist ladies, though.) I really liked the couple of services I was at; quite a change from my Conservative synagogue and all the blue jeans and Iggles jerseys! I could get used to that.

Most often that not, in many black neighborhoods, there are actual shops that cater to church going women. You will find the fab hats and those crazy suits and gloves, etc.

LD

funneman

Practically Family
Best/worst?

Funny, both happened this morning in about an hour of each other. The good comments from women the worst comment from a guy.

First a little background: I've been wearing Fedoras to work for about six months, with jeans, dress shirts, etc. Mostly with generally good comments, along with the usual good-natured ribbing.

Today I threw caution to the wind and showed up dressed to the nines, pleated pants, silk/vintage tie, grey stetson,the works.

Best comments: "You clean up real nice." and "Wow, you look VERY dapper."
Worst comment: "You look like Barney Fife."

Snookie

Practically Family
Funny Negative Reaction: "Wow, you have regular clothes!" (my husband gets this all the time when dancing buddies see him in jeans)

Positive: A couple years ago I made a dress that for some reason ended up with a fishtail hem, but wasn't supposed to. I was lazy and didn't cut off the excess, and I get more compliments on it! Here's to mistakes!:cheers1:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Viola, the more you go up to people, the easier it gets. Everyone loves a compliment, and asking them where they got their hats and accessories is a great question to be asked. The only response you will get will for sure be favorable. :)

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
Best - Stranger staring at bowtie: "You tie that yourself? That's cool."

Worst - (Ex)Girlfriend staring at bowtie: "I think that we should just be friends."

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Best - "You look like straight out of a movie!"
Worst - "You look like straight out of a movie!"

But really, a coupl' o' days ago, we sitting were in a street caf?© in a Southern foreign country.

My mother-in-law: "You're so elegant, but why do you always dress that donnishly and prim?"

My wife: "Er, huh? He's by far the most relaxed and comfortable of us four!"

(I wasn't dressed up, by the way. Only, I was wearing a light casual suit and a straw fedora instead of a polo shirt, a plastic waistcoat, a tourist hat and a bum bag.)

Now, my beloved wife is biased (I hope), but that was nice in its spontaneity.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most people who genuinely like it will tell you, "nice hat!"
DSC00002.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I've gotten many positive comments on my dress, but I've never gotten a negative one. I think there are a few reasons for this.

I don't overdress. In the same way that I don't adopt a businesslike air around friends and family, I don't wear silk to go eat fish and chips. It's easier on both me and the silk to wear clothes to suit the occasion.

I also don't look down my nose at badly dressed people. Clothes aren't an indicator of character or even status. A guy in jeans and a t-shirt might be a wealthy business owner--perhaps one of my employer's clients, or one of the best lawyers in town. That's how most of them dress--I've seen them in the office. Even if it isn't an important person, you still tend to get back what you give. Why put out bad vibes?

I give a pretty good withering look when necessary, though.

And maybe I don't tend to attract people who think they're comedians.:)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I think many of us here don't look down on people that have differing taste in dressing, or are indifferent. It certainly attracts comments if you'd put on an attitude, too. But still, some people just will make comments, including depracative ones, as soon as you deviate from the mainstream. Analyse that as showing their inferiority complex, if you like.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
My worst comments are also the "It's not halloween you know" or something to that effect. "Where's the fancy dress party?" too.

The best was "you look like Dita Von Teese" (I don't look a thing like her, but it was very flattering anyway!)

Strider

One of the Regulars
I think saying you look like a famous person is a very nice compliment, indeed. :D

Rosie

One Too Many
Viola said:
I am shy about walking up to people I don't know on the street, (can we say city girl?) but I REALLY want to know where these ladies buy their hats! Maybe they bought them years ago, I don't know, but older black women on their way to church have an disproportionate number of spectacularly great hats.:eusa_clap

Like Lady Day says, there are many hat shops that are specifically for the church going set, they tend to be small boutiques but if you look hard, you'll find them. Also, many of the ladies are seamstresses or millners, they tend to make hats, outfits for themselves and their friends.

Lady Day said:
My family use to do that too. That crease on the denim down the thigh was mighty fine. Did your fam do their white cotton t's as well? And yes, church was when everyone dressed to the nines. I grew up in a southern church, and seeing all the hats was always a highlight of my morning. The mens suits are a bit more 'pre made' if that makes any sence. Attention to personal details are not as paramount as they use to be when I was younger.

LD

The crease down the front of the leg is funny. Those things look as though they would stand up on their own. lol And sadly, you're right, attention to personal detail has gone to the wayside. I'll be the first to admit I don't attend church like I did when I was a kid but on the occasions I do go, people dressed that way are few and far between.

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
The funniest comments that I have received have been from my parents.

My Dad as I was walking from my apartment in dress shirt, khakis, with stingy brim: "Ai, cabron! I thought you were Dick Tracy!"'

Mother, as I had my back turned to her while I was wearing my grey Biltmore: "You look like an old man when I look at you from behind." and..

"Los viejitos (old men) that owned those hats are going to haunt you!"

A middle-aged guy at a restaurant as we waited in line. I noticed him taking a couple of stares at my suit and hats from the corner of my eye: "Hey! We've got the Blues Brothers here! Lookin' good, son. Is this for school?", to which I replied, "No. I work for a Real Estate company." he chuckled and said, "Oh, okay. Well, what you need is a tie clip and some cuff links. Then you'll really have the look!".

As for best comments, I have a few...

At an intersection, a young woman yelled at me from the next lane over, "Hey! Nice hat, handsome!"

As my Mother and me were walking out of a store. She caught a few young women gazing at me with their mouthes wide-open, "Oh? I'm sorry! Is he your son?", to which my Mother jealously replied, "Yes. He is my son.". "Oh. I like his hat. He dresses so well!".

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
My worst comments are also the "It's not halloween you know" or something to that effect. "Where's the fancy dress party?" too.

The best was "you look like Dita Von Teese" (I don't look a thing like her, but it was very flattering anyway!)

No kidding! I had not heard of her, but a bit of web research quickly showed me just what a great compliment that is!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Just this last weekend I walked into a restraunt wearing a new hat and dress. Literally almost everyone was staring..I didn't get any compliments, but their reactions were plenty enough for me. I got a nod of approval from a couple 'older' ladies. was really great :)

mikepara

Practically Family
I dont overdo it..

..so haven't received much flack. The worst was "Are you going to a Country and Western Night?"

The best ..I'm a bit too mean and ugly for people to compliment. Awww.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters