Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dobbs Challenger

MattJH

One Too Many
Was it someone on here who won this auction earlier today? I'm curious about it. It's in my size, but I just won that black Barbisio yesterday so I'm trying not to be greedy about black fedoras right now.

MattJH

One Too Many
GoneSolo said:
Not me. I try not to bid on that sellers items. He snipes bids and ends up reselling the hats for much more.

Really? I've seen many of his hats online before and was impressed by his photoshop skills -- he manages to white out any background other than the hat itself. It makes for a nice looking auction. I didn't know he was a sniper / reseller.

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
Remember that Dobbs Gay Prince that he had/has up for sale? I was bidding on that when it originally sold. As well as another Stratoliner that he has sold recently.

MattJH

One Too Many
It does stink that he's like that, but I was just thinking about it a little bit more. It's not like a ticket scalper, in which they purchase tickets at face value and then resell them on eBay when the show sells out for a 500% profit.

This guy, presumably, scours eBay for poorly listed items and resells them properly for profit. I've done this a few times already, except not for that sole reason -- I've purchased hats that simply weren't what I thought they were when I received them, so I relist them with the minimum bid being the price I paid for it including shipping, except that I list them much better (or so I'd like to think!). Who knows what his motivations are.

For whatever it's worth, I've never made a profit; I typically break even.

Feraud

Bartender
I am under the impression that I am the last guy on the planet to not use a sniping program. Based on a Lounge thread it seemed like most people use one.
What is the problem in reselling the hat?

Btw, I am not the seller so I have no stake in the auction! :)

Feraud

Bartender
GoneSolo said:
No problem with me, just frustrating.
I feel your pain. One auction item I received had the thrift store sticker of .50 cents on the item. I paid considerably more than that.
It is the kind of thing you prefer not to know.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do not snipe. I understand why people do it but the bidding is part of the fun. As long as I win of course. If I really want something I will usually bid high enough to win. I have a mental picture of how muchI think the hat is worth.

I've never been beat by the guy (assuming "he" is a guy). He pays low prices and sells high. As far as i can tell he mostly bids on very badly listed hats which he knows are worth much more than they will get from the bad listings. If you're prepared to pay more than double the opening bid you're not likely to get beat by him. He's a businessman who knows his stuff. His presentation skills re: hats on eBay are second to none.

Thus goes the market.

bk

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I bid late as well, but I've never used a sniping program. I do it all myself. Using a program seems kind of like cheating.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
I am the bidder with a thin wallet who sits and prays and hopes that noone has seen the auction in which i am interested. Then i put in my max bid in the last 20 seconds. I usually win.

bk

Whats your e-bay name Baron?
I like to bid early low to stake a claim on an item and then if needed bid again at between 20 to 10 seconds. One time I was counting wanting to hit the confirm bid at 5 second and I'd waited too long.:(
Bob.

nulty

One of the Regulars
I can't believe that seller isn't on here someplace..they know hats pretty well. I had a chance to bid on a hat from them last week...a larger size for once. It was going OK until a few less than 10 FB bidders got into a he said she said bidding war and ran the thing up to the semi stratosphere...

I hate that...

Dinerman said:
I bid late as well, but I've never used a sniping program. I do it all myself. Using a program seems kind of like cheating.

I cheat like Hell---anything to win. :p
I would buy a hat from that guy and have a few times. He does all the hard work looking for the item, cleaning it up and getting decent pictures on OFAS instead of some blurry garbage. Its worth whatever extra I have to pay. I'm not likely to live on OFAS to look for stuff like he does in obscure places. [huh] He hardly ever has anything in my size is my only problem with him. :p

regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot