Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dobbs Forty... needs help...

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
I've had this dobbs forty for a few years, and while the felt quality is absolutely exquisite, the hat itself has seen better days. Its missing a liner, the ribbon and felt are badly stained, the sweatband is cracked and torn in places. On top of all that, I really do not like the color, as I much prefer darker hats. But as I said, the felt itself is to die for, and will take any crease I give it without a bit of steam.

I would very much like to be able to turn this into a wearable 'beater' fedora. One of impeccable quality, but that I wouldn't be afraid to toss around and wear when I get my hands dirty. And if it were but a darker brown, I would overlook its other flaws, and make it my 'adventure hat'. So as hesitant as I am to say it aloud, I'd like to try and perform an Indy conversion on it.

Seeing as a It would likely then need a new sweatband and ribbon, I do not believe I'm up to doing the work myself. Could anyone suggest a professional who might be willing to work on a vintage hat such as this?

DSC_4682_zpsb0cdc233.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You should definitely just send it to me and buy a dark hat ;)

Optimo in Chicago can restore all the issues aside from color

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
thats kindof my dilema... I'm not sure I want to invest in restoring its other flaws if its still a color I won't wear :/.... though I'm trying to convince myself a darker ribbon would lessen my objection to the felt color.

jskeen

One of the Regulars
I don't know of anybody that advertises dye jobs as a regular service. From what I have read, finished felt is tough to get even color on because of differences in density, wear, stiffening in different areas, and such. I think if I wanted a brown hat, I'd find a brown one and trade for it. What size is the Dobbs?

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, are you up for trading it? What size do you wear? Our Classifieds section is a great place if you end up going that route.

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
Yes, I would be up for trading, but only for felt as high quality as this. I have a number of quite nice dobbs/cav/knox twenties, but this forty is in a league of its own. The hat is not marked, but I wear a 7.5, and this fits like a 7 3/4".... I'll try posting an ad just in case, but my hopes aren't very high for finding a hat of this felt quality in comparable condition

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I know Art Fawcett and Black Sheep Hatworks both do custom-dyed hats, so they might be able to help you with the color. Optimo does great restoration work, but I don't know that they do dye-jobs.

Try calling or emailng these hatters and if they can't do it, they will probably know who to suggest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner