Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dobbs Rainbow...

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
I recently won this Dobbs Rainbow from an ebay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8385855214&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
The seller sent me an email afterwards saying that someone had informed them of the following quote:
"I am told by an expert on these it was made between 1910 and 1820 and a rare hat to find I learn something new every day i deal in collectables THANK you FOR YOUR PURCHASE SINCERLY YOURS".

I was just wondering if anyone here at the Lounge knows about Dobbs & Dobbs Rainbows in particular and what the possible history or time frame is for this hat....?:fing28:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While we're waiting for someone to post a vintage
ad for a Dobbs Rainbow, I'm gonna say no way is
it from 1910-1820 (sic). I'm guessing, from the liner,
late 40s to 50s.

And hey, d.hats, douglash456 spends some serious
dough on eBay hats. Ouch.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
no friggin way!!!!

oops..sorry, I'll expound. In the early 40s Wembley came out with a necktie collection that was wider than the past and had birds as a feature(called "Game Birds"). Well, this was the first wide theme tie and they created quite a stir, sold really well. Other accessory makers jumped on the bandwagon and developed alot of themed items such as "Dobbs Rainbow"..outdoor theme. JamesPowers can probably come up with a better date to get more specific but in no way shape or form is this a hat from the early 1800s or even early 1900s.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Agreed Scotrace.. very nice hat and good price D...it just drives me a little nuts when such misinformation is given. I don't think the seller is trying to enhance anything, just was given bad info.

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
I would have to say... that from my limited experience I could not imagine this hat being that old. But, because my experience is so limited is the reason I defered my question to the Lounge!
However, in my searching and browsing of ebay HAT auctions I never came across a Dobbs Rainbow before, so I was curious when I happened across this one...

Thanks for the input and responses. Now I'll actually be able to speak to the hat if asked questions in public about its origin.

Thanks!:cool:

Heheheheh! Art is right. The only hat that comes close to that date with a Gamebird name is the 1920s Knapp Felt Gamebird (and yes here is the ad:rolleyes: ):
Knapp6.jpg

Misinformation aside, you got that for a great price. It is missing the "fishing lure" pin but you can find those if you look or you can just put a fishing lure with red feathers on it. That is more or less the way they were. Like this:
Picture066.jpg

A little bit of shaping on that boy and you get this:
Picture064.jpg

The style and ribbon treatment are one of my favorites.
Another Rainbow ad from the 1950s:
DobbsRainbow.jpg

All in all a great hat. I am sure you will love it:arated:

Regards,

J

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
JP Thanks for the close-up pictures...

In the photos from the auction I did not pick up on the interesting and unique ribbon style.
The photos in the auctions are not always very revealing, as we all have discovered.

As you know, not too long ago I picked up a very nice brown Royal Deluxe Stetsonion, It too has some unique stitching at the top of the ribbon all the way around. This was a pleasant surprise when I pulled it out of the box.:cool:

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
JP, In that Knapp Felt Game Bird add...

it has a price down in the bottom righthand corner of $10.00.

That must be one awesome lid to cost $10 back in 1920. Does anyone on the Lounge have one of those? Or, are only in museums?

D. Hats said:
it has a price down in the bottom righthand corner of $10.00.

That must be one awesome lid to cost $10 back in 1920. Does anyone on the Lounge have one of those? Or, are only in museums?

Knapp Felt hats were not marketed as the cheapest hat anywhere. :p They were always expensive. The $10 price might have even been a special considering it was the Hat for the Month.
Higher ends hats like Cavanagh, Knox and Knapp were concerned more with high quality, which usually meant a high price as well. :p
I, unfortunately, do not have a Knapp Gamebird. I wish I did. Anyone have one out there in 7 5/8 they want to sell? Come on. They are only about 80 years old. :icon_smil

Regards to all,

J

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
Feltfan...

Once upon a time in 3 qtr 2005 I, at a whim, typed the word Fedora into Yahoo and hit search... can you imagine what I came across?
Well, no doubt, I latched onto the link for The Fedora Lounge and through reading threads on the FL I learned about and became curious about Ebay. Believe this or not, I never ever shopped Ebay until I found the FL. Matter of fact I was of the mind set that I would never make electronic purchases on the internet. I was afraid that somehow, someway someone would get my info and spend my money.

As fate would have it, I happen to be of the population of folk in this world that are slightly excessive compulsive (okay maybe not slightly). As a result I'm the guy that's spending all my money on the internet (ebay) purchases, not some other wacko hacking into my credit info.

Oh well, I do notice in myself that my desire to search endlessly thru my new found friend's (ebay) endless available resources for awesome vintage FELT Beauties is beginning to deminish... I also notice the pain I'm developing in my pocketbook... so, though my love for a fine felt vintage lid will remain I'm sure, I am expecting to reduce my spending to a more reasonable frequency.

With Profound Foundness for my new Found Friends at The Fedora Lounge I bid thee a Good Night, and wish you all a Great Weekend,
Take Care, Doug :cool:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just to be clear, no offense intended... Just teasin' a bit
'cause I'm sure I've lost a hat or two to you. As I have
said before, when you compare today's hats to the
shrinking pool of vintage hats, you can pay a couple
hundred bucks and still get a bargain. I have no
objection to the guy who spends his money on hats
(there are far worse things to spend money on!).
I just don't want to see hat speculators driving up
the market for those of us who want a quality lid to
protect our increasingly depilated pates.

Wear those hats in good health and know that you
are among fellow compulsives. :cheers1:
And, uh, apologies for any role my posts might
have played in all that spending...

D. Hats said:

Once upon a time in 3 qtr 2005 I, at a whim, typed the word Fedora into Yahoo and hit search... can you imagine what I came across?
Well, no doubt, I latched onto the link for The Fedora Lounge and through reading threads on the FL I learned about and became curious about Ebay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou