Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doctor Needed for Button Overprotection Syndrome

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I have a Lost Worlds A1 I got on ebay (for a good price) and I love having the buttons; but for some reason I'm worried that the buttons give way the same way they do on a shirt and then I'll be in a heap of trouble (AKA deep doo-doo). The rational side of me knows that this couldn't be an insoluble problem (as long as I have moolah to splash around), but I continue to use and monitor the buttons like they were the most delicate things on the planet. Am I crazy?

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
My cousins' neighbours' best friend on facebook is a certified doctor of medicality. I asked him about your quandary and the advice that's come back is for you to smoke a fatty

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I think my initial response may have been a little blunt.
I have a LW G-1 and I've been unbuttoning and buttoning the pockets in a very cavalier manner for a number of years. But maybe that's just me and my 'Devil may care' attitude.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I have a Lost Worlds A1 I got on ebay (for a good price) and I love having the buttons; but for some reason I'm worried that the buttons give way the same way they do on a shirt and then I'll be in a heap of trouble (AKA deep doo-doo). The rational side of me knows that this couldn't be an insoluble problem (as long as I have moolah to splash around), but I continue to use and monitor the buttons like they were the most delicate things on the planet. Am I crazy?

Vespizzare, I'm not sure quite why you're getting concerned. I use my ELC 0.50 cal A-1 all the time (just returned to the house after a soaking from an unexpected shower) - I don't baby the jacket at all. If I were to lose a button, I'd contact ELC for a replacement (and pay pennies) and hand sew it back on; I'd imagine that Lost Worlds might offer the same. The buttons probably have smaller backing buttons on the LW jacket? These should stop the buttons stressing the leather/thread unduly.
With my BK A-1, the buttons have already been off and replaced with a set of darker buttons (simple job - stout needle, stout thread and use existing holes).
Even my LVC Menlo Cossack, which has a set of buttons that appear unique to this model, has a spare in the pocket.
Don't stress, enjoy the jacket...

Yeah, exactly. I mean, if it was an original A1, your concerns would've been warranted as I guess it's not easy to find original replacement buttons for it but since this is a repro, I'm sure LW will easily and willingly fix whatever happens to the jacket, even if you gonna have to pay something. Don't worry about it. I'm sure nobody whom these jackets were originally issued to ever did. :)

Plumbline

One Too Many
I don't have many button jackets ... but the only button that ever came off of one3 was on a schott 740N peacoat .... and it was easy to sew back on .. even for a sewing numpty like me :D

Don't fret .... use it like it was intended, wear it hard and wear it well .... if Stu's buttons are anything like his jacket construction they'll still be there when the leather gives way in a couple of hundred years :)

I think Schitzo's advice is sound .... if only I knew what it meant !!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy