Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doctor.... Who? Spoilers! Really, don't read if ur not up to date.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, I remember a bit last year where the Doctor was wearing plaid pants like those of the Second Doctor, and there was some interview or other where he strongly hinted that this was a clue of signficance for the future. And of course, it wasn't. He's trying so hard to create Internet Buzz that he litters the show with pointless red herrings as a substitute for actual depth in plotting.

Completely. I even wonder whether (I hope!) the whole Kris Marshall thing is a story Moffat's office leaked. I'm pretty sure that they were behind the Rory Kinnear rumour last time round.

Much like your hypothesis except that for me Eccleston is probably my favourite of the reboot Doctors.

I liked Eccleston a lot. It's a shame he only wanted to do one series. Pity too that he turned down the anniversary stuff, which suffered very badly in the end from having been written around those they could persuade to come back rather than what worked story-wise.

It's been a load of 'Old Tosh' since it was re booted..........If the original Dr is back then Susan (his grand daughter) will be his assistant.

I don't think that's entirely fair, though certainly they've often taken the laZy way out by relying on SFX. Rewatching some of the old Baker and Pertwee era stuff during the abysmyl 2015 series, it's amazing how much better the stories were when they couldn't just fall back on the effects to distract from poor scripting.

Have to agree. I loved Smith & Alex Kingston. He was such a good actor I actually believed that he was the old alien he claimed to be. Eleven meeting little Amelia the way he did was what made me start watching the show again (after Tennant's abysmal run :rolleyes:).

Although I found her chemistry with Capaldi more believable than any of the others, I did very much enjoy the subversion of the usual media norm by pairing a mature woman with a manchild decades her junior. Smith did do well in the role. It's just a shame he came right after Tennant (whom I liked, even if RTD's showrunning had its flaws too). I won't want to see another "young" Doctor for a long time.

Now that I think about it Moffat has never really "killed" any companion officially. Has the audience ever seen an onscreen death? I mean, a real, FINAL death of a character? Besides the Doctor, of course.

No. He can't cope with finality. And he thinks it's clever not to have to.

Eccleston certainly took the role to heart & wasn't lacking in enthousiasm but I think he was too ordinary (& most of the storylines just plain ridiculous) not to mention that a Timelord born on Gallifrey endowered with a Salford accent did strain one's credulity a smidgen. :D

Why is it any odder than any other human accent?

As he said himself, "Lots of planets have a North."

It's interesting to read this - people either don't like Tennant, or Smith or Capaldi or Eccleston - or all of them. Fair enough.

That's the beauty of it, to my mind - there'll always be a Doctor for you. I've actually liked them all in some way, even if I haven't liked the writing for chunks of their tenure.

The most ill-served in some ways was poor Colin Baker; not only forced to wear that absurd clownsuit (originally he was supposed to meld into something less chaotic after his mind fully coped with the regeneration), but also shafted by production decisions. He was originally to have five series, and there was a whole arc planned in which he would go from being impaired and unpleasant to a much more likeable character. This was drastically cut short after his first series, and so they had to fit a whole character development that was meant to take several series into one.

In terms of assistants, I'd quite like to see Sheridan Smith (who has been very good with Colin Baker in several audio stories with the Doctor) in the TV show. Also, I really want the next one to be, like Nardol, non-human, or at least a human from any period of history other than our present day. The whole 'present day earth human' schtick has gotten very old and formulaic since the reboot imo. I accept they have to at least appear human or it's going to put a lot of limits on where they can go (or add in an awful lot of additional plot re disguising them ), but it often feels a bit of an insult to the audience to imagine that they can't enjoy it unless there's a "relatable - hey, they're just like us!" character.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Well no stranger than Sylvester McCoy's or Capaldi's Scottish accents or John Pertwee and Tom Baker's RP tones. Who would have thought Timelords would sound like English voice over guys? :p

It's interesting to read this - people either don't like Tennant, or Smith or Capaldi or Eccleston - or all of them. Fair enough.

Fair point about the accents. I guess the Doctors are like the James bonds, we've all got our favotites.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't think there's ever been a Doctor I couldn't stand. I remember when Six first showed up and it took me completely by surprise. We were about a year behind the UK in getting the shows on the PBS station where I watched them, and remember there was no such thing as the internet then, and no organized "fandom" in my area that I was aware of -- so I had no idea Peter Davison was leaving. And it happened that I missed his last episode -- so when I tuned in again and saw this raging maniac whose first act was to nearly kill his companion, I was a bit nonplussed. But I gave him a chance and actually came to enjoy him fairly quickly -- it didn't take much to figure out that his gimmick was that he was "The Loud Doctor," in opposition to Five being "The Quiet Doctor," and I thought he did pretty well with the material he was given.

I like the idea of each Doctor being a reaction and a response to the previous one, and if you look at them all, it makes sense that way: Six's aggressive direct approach ended up with him getting put on trial for his lives, so Seven became sneaky and manipulative and deliberately opaque. Just as with Nine being the shell-shocked withdrawn veteran who becomes the egotistical Ten who drove away or hurt everyone he cared about who becomes the childlike Eleven who surrounded himself with a family, who then becomes the seething, cold-blooded Twelve. If this pattern holds true, Thirteen will have to be another highly-emotional type. He or she will probably be an opera fan who hates rock music, will favor light-colored clothes and flamboyant neckwear, and will probably have a Welsh accent.

Edward

Bartender
While it'll never happen, I'd love to see John Hurt come back for a run at it. There's no reason the Doctor can't resume a face from a past regeneration. It would be interesting to see a past Doctor playing it again, but with the weight of the changes the intervening regenerations have brought to the character. The War Doctor would be one that they could pull out as he still needs to settle his own conscience or some such.

Of course, a lot of the modern fanbase want Tennant back this way. I liked him a lot in the role, but I think that would be a mistake - as ever, there has to be a good story reason for it.

I'd very much like to see a really bitter, angry Doctor, as that's often when he's at his most interesting. Some of my favourite Tennant moments were his anger. Especially when the PM ordered the alien ship shot down as it retreated - his anger, and then the cold calculation of "Doesn't The Prime Minister look tired?" Beautiful.

I never cared for Steven Moffat's "fanboy" treatment of the show so I'm happy to see him go, but would like to have seen the direction it might have taken with Peter Capaldi working with a different showrunner. I'm not familiar with Jodie Whittaker or the new showrunner Chris Chibnall so I'm curious about what they'll bring to it; I'm just hoping their casting choice isn't motivated by "pandering to the 'politically correct' crowd" as some have speculated and that Miss Whittaker is the person they sincerely believed was right for the role.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Well, I didn't see this coming....

New Doctor Announced, and it's....

All right, then... Don't know her, not sure what to think right now. Will have to spend the next however many months until her first full episode processing this. :confused:

Expected a woman, but I admittedly didn't think they'd do it. Like I've seen others online debate, where's the female James Bond? I'll have to watch her, but if I don't care for her, there's always Tom Baker to go back to. Discovered he and Elisabeth Sladen late on a Saturday night on PBS (long before the new series) & will always love them more than any others.

Really hope this is good for the series & not detrimental. Hope there's no sex appeal shoved in like there has been with other Doctors. Hope there's GOOD WRITING! Hope this Chibnall knows what he's doing.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the best of all ways to write the regeneration scene would be to have 13 gaze into a mirror with an expression of utter disappointment and say "And I'm *STILL* not ginger!"

I was not surprised a woman was chosen for the role, since it's pretty much been telegraphed not just for the last season, but, now that I think about it, for the whole of the Capaldi era, and it kind of makes narrative sense. Nerarly every important figure in 12's life was female -- Clara, Vastra, Kate Stewart, Osgood, Bill, and of course River Song and Missy. The main exceptions were The General -- who regenerated into a woman after the Doctor shot him -- and Nardole, who was there as an agent of River. So if the rule holds that a new Doctor's personality is shaped by the experiences of the previous incarnation, 13 couldn't help but be female.

As to the specific actress, I don't know her, but I think, in the little promo clip that's going around, she certainly *looks* Doctory. Chibnall did write one of my favorite lines in recent Who -- "And you Amy, are you a queen also?" "Yes. Yes I am." -- so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Joe50's

Familiar Face
I'm just going to watch it and see how it goes. I haven't seen any of whittakers prior roles, but I'm sure with good writing and plot development Whittaker might do a good job.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I hope she can pull it off and isn't let down by dreadful writing and a paucity of imagination - as has been showcased for the past 3 years. She's great in the things I've seen her in, but playing an otherworldly figure isn't just about acting. I don't think Capaldi (or Davison for that matter) ever quite inhabited the character to my taste.

Can the Doctor be a woman? To mark our current era, the regeneration myth has acquired a transgender dimension in the past few years so this was probably inevitable and, perhaps, will breathe new life into the largely moribund show. I think I will require some convincing that it works for the character and serves the narrative and isn't played for quirkiness and novelty for too long. I'm open to it and really hope they don't screw it up. I imagine Jodie Whittaker will require some strong nerves to deal with some of the inevitable, and I imagine, nasty, backlash.

It will be intriguing to see how she might play the part. I personally would like a rather tough woman in the role, with a predilection for action.

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the best of all ways to write the regeneration scene would be to have 13 gaze into a mirror with an expression of utter disappointment and say "And I'm *STILL* not ginger!"

I choose to take that as a Gilligan's Island reference! :D

Back on topic: Why not? I can't say that it violates any law of regeneration, as far as I know. Best of luck to her. I just hope she can pull off "goofy", which seems to be a prerequisite for recent Doctors. I don't mean that completely negatively either; a certain goofiness is needed to make the all-powerful Time Lord likeable and relatable. Although, sometimes the goofiness is overdone.

Edward

Bartender

I was not surprised a woman was chosen for the role, since it's pretty much been telegraphed not just for the last season, but, now that I think about it, for the whole of the Capaldi era, and it kind of makes narrative sense. Nerarly every important figure in 12's life was female -- Clara, Vastra, Kate Stewart, Osgood, Bill, and of course River Song and Missy. The main exceptions were The General -- who regenerated into a woman after the Doctor shot him -- and Nardole, who was there as an agent of River. So if the rule holds that a new Doctor's personality is shaped by the experiences of the previous incarnation, 13 couldn't help but be female.

In all honesty, I *was* rather surprised that it was a woman - it was so heavily and obviously signposted that I was convinced it was a red herring. Good theory as for why, though - and it certainly is in keeping with previous regenerations, e.g. the link between Capaldi's face adn the Fires of Pompei.

As to the specific actress, I don't know her, but I think, in the little promo clip that's going around, she certainly *looks* Doctory. Chibnall did write one of my favorite lines in recent Who -- "And you Amy, are you a queen also?" "Yes. Yes I am." -- so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Apparently she was the lead in Attack the Block, which I have seen and hated but can remember nothing about, including her performance. I've not to my knowledge watched her in anything else. This is good, I think ,as it lets me go in with no preconceptions....

Can the Doctor be a woman? To mark our current era, the regeneration myth has acquired a transgender dimension in the past few years so this was probably inevitable and, perhaps, will breathe new life into the largely moribund show. I think I will require some convincing that it works for the character and serves the narrative and isn't played for quirkiness and novelty for too long. I'm open to it and really hope they don't screw it up. I imagine Jodie Whittaker will require some strong nerves to deal with some of the inevitable, and I imagine, nasty, backlash..

Givne Chibnall also wrote a lot of the early Torchwood stuff, I wonder if there will be echoes (or even guest spots with.....) any of the female characters that passed through that show. It could be fun to bring Captain Jack back again.

I was wary of the idea before - I'm all for feminism, not so keen on tokenism - but if it's well written, it'll be fine, and that's the secret. There's no reason why the Doctor shouldn't appear female, as long as the Doctor being a woman doesn't become the central schtick. I can only imagine how bad it would be if Moffat was writing it (I'm thinking a substandard rehaash of the Quantum Leap episodes where Sam leaped into a woman). The interesting thing now, I suspect, is less what people think of this obne being a woman, but more whether they'll be disappointed if the next one isn't.

I choose to take that as a Gilligan's Island reference! :D

Back on topic: Why not? I can't say that it violates any law of regeneration, as far as I know. Best of luck to her. I just hope she can pull off "goofy", which seems to be a prerequisite for recent Doctors. I don't mean that completely negatively either; a certain goofiness is needed to make the all-powerful Time Lord likeable and relatable. Although, sometimes the goofiness is overdone.

The supposed 'laws' of regeneration have been fooled around with so many tiems to suit whatever the current story was, they can basically do what they like without violating canon by this point. All it really has to be is good.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Givne Chibnall also wrote a lot of the early Torchwood stuff, I wonder if there will be echoes (or even guest spots with.....) any of the female characters that passed through that show. It could be fun to bring Captain Jack back again.

I was wary of the idea before - I'm all for feminism, not so keen on tokenism - but if it's well written, it'll be fine, and that's the secret. There's no reason why the Doctor shouldn't appear female, as long as the Doctor being a woman doesn't become the central schtick. I can only imagine how bad it would be if Moffat was writing it (I'm thinking a substandard rehaash of the Quantum Leap episodes where Sam leaped into a woman). The interesting thing now, I suspect, is less what people think of this obne being a woman, but more whether they'll be disappointed if the next one isn't.

Would LOVE to see Jack back again. He was such a great and selfless character. I've been wondering what John Barrowman's reaction to all of this is. Here's hoping for better things in the future once Moffat is gone.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Jack (enters the Tardis): Well, hel-LO!

13: Oh, don't start, Jack. Just no.

Jack: I see my reputation precedes me. And who might *you* be? Always like to get friendly with the new companion...

13: (pulls out sonic and holds it up)

Jack: Oh.

13 (extends sonic)

Jack: Ohhhhhh!

I said John Barrowman's reaction, but I'll take Jack's. LOL!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Chibnall created Broadchurch, in which Whitticker played a role (she was not the star), so no coincidence there.

The show was brilliant, and one of its stars was rumoured to be a contender for the next doctor - Olivia Coleman. In terms of look, attitude and gravitas, she was a shoe in for me.

The other star had already been the Doctor - David Tennant.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Would LOVE to see Jack back again. He was such a great and selfless character. I've been wondering what John Barrowman's reaction to all of this is.

Yes, yes, yes! Please bring back Captain Jack Harkness!

Jack could be her companion. Oh! It is pretty to imagine.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21