Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Drink Rye Whiskey?

During a recent visit to the liquor store I was pleasantly surprised to see that Templeton Rye is now available in Oklahoma! Picked up a bottle for about $37. My previous purchases of this pre-pro rye were either online or during visits to other states and the price was more like $54!

Bob R in OKC

That is the about the same price we get it for out here at the local Beverages and More

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Absinthe and Herbsaint taste like liquorice. Vermouth tastes like medicine. Not at all the same. :p You just use the Absinthe or Herbsaint to coat the glass in either case so it is not a huge addition to the taste. I just pour a bit in the glass, coat the glass and then dump out the rest into another glass for me to drink later. :p
I make my fairly strong and use more rye. I use 3 ounces of rye, a teaspoon or sugar and one of water(dissolved well. You could use simple syrup too.), a dash of Peychaud's bitters(three drops). You can serve over ice or straight up. I will bet you like it. It is kind of like an Old Fashioned.

Hi James

I checked the Cellar in Norman, it's an old supermarket I think. No Herbsaint or Peychaud's bitters. I'll check Jacob's in Wichita next month. I cleaned out a Zing Zang bottle to serve as a place to put the simple syrup.

Thanks

Miike

okbrewer

New in Town
Hi James

I checked the Cellar in Norman, it's an old supermarket I think. No Herbsaint or Peychaud's bitters. I'll check Jacob's in Wichita next month. I cleaned out a Zing Zang bottle to serve as a place to put the simple syrup.

Thanks

Miike

Mike, I'm pretty sure Cellar carries the Peychaud bitters, I know they carry Angostura bitters. Also, if you will be in Wichita, be sure to check out Goebel Liquors, especially if you like beer, they have a great beer selection. Tell Rob that Bob in OKC sent ya!

Bob R in OKC

1961MJS

Mike, I'm pretty sure Cellar carries the Peychaud bitters, I know they carry Angostura bitters. Also, if you will be in Wichita, be sure to check out Goebel Liquors, especially if you like beer, they have a great beer selection. Tell Rob that Bob in OKC sent ya!

Bob R in OKC

Thanks Bob

I used to live around the corner from Jacob's liquor on Rock Road, so I didn't go out West much. I went over to Goebel a few times. I think they have a smaller place within walking distance from the old house, but I was never sure who owned it. Its on Woodlawn North of K-96. I didn't see the Peychaud, but I only asked about the Herbsaint.

See around town.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
If you are not going to use real Absinthe then I would go with Herbsaint regular. You can also now use the original recipe Herbsaint.

Go with Herbsaint Original, though either version works in a Sazerac.

Or you could go antique like I do...

If you are having trouble getting Peychaud's & Herbsaint, drop me a line, and I find out who can get it in your area...;)

Attachments

• sazeracfixings.jpg
    sazeracfixings.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
If you are not going to use real Absinthe then I would go with Herbsaint regular. You can also now use the original recipe Herbsaint.

Go with Herbsaint Original, though either version works in a Sazerac.

Or you could go antique like I do...

If you are having trouble getting Peychaud's & Herbsaint, drop me a line, and I find out who can get it in your area...;)
I was hoping the expert would chime in here eventually. Thanks. Good advice. :D

okbrewer

New in Town
I stand corrected! Cellar does not carry Peychaud's bitters! But they do carry a line of boutique, small batch bitters. I can't recall the name right now, but they are on shelves behind the counter.

Bob R in OKC

1961MJS

Hi Bob

I'll look at Jacob's in Wichita this weekend. Nice that they don't have to close on Sundays and Holidays anymore. Is there a certain brand of Absinthe I should be buying to be TRULY authentic? Are there any brands to avoid? I think I'll get some of the Herbsaint anyway.

Later

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Anyone Want To Try Templeton Rye Prohibition Era Whiskey? Read On

I purchased a couple of bottles of Templeton Rye for a gathering at our home. Know one requested it so the bottles remain unopened. I can trade for a hat or cap in size 7. I am willing to discuss the other options but you must pm me regarding that subject. Its is only sold in one size for aprox $35. Just looking to share. This is still made in Templeton Iowa and recently reopened the distillery in 2006. According to the web site although Al Capone sold Canadian whiskey, he served his family and friends what he referred to as the "the good stuff", Templeton Rye.
Regards, Troy

http://www.templetonrye.com/home/

Last edited:

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Hi Bob

I'll look at Jacob's in Wichita this weekend. Nice that they don't have to close on Sundays and Holidays anymore. Is there a certain brand of Absinthe I should be buying to be TRULY authentic? Are there any brands to avoid? I think I'll get some of the Herbsaint anyway.

Later

I have quite a lot of different brands of absinthe, but only use Herbsaint Original (or the regular 90 proof Herbsaint) in a Sazerac.

As far as authentic absinthe, that would depend on what's on the shelves in your area.

Someday I may open this antique from old New Orleans...

Duper

Practically Family
Just purchased and tried Lot #40. Nice and smooth and sweet. Not too much alcohol bite. The label says single copper pot still Canadian Whisky. Made with malted rye.

I purchased it because it was this years winner of Best Canadian Whisky as selected by a blind taste test.

$39.95 at my local liquor store.

I would put it on par with Buffalo Trace bourbon for on ice sipping pleasure.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/01/17/windsor-distilled-canadian-whisky-best-in-world/

Just purchased and tried Lot #40. Nice and smooth and sweet. Not too much alcohol bite. The label says single copper pot still Canadian Whisky. Made with malted rye.

I purchased it because it was this years winner of Best Canadian Whisky as selected by a blind taste test.

$39.95 at my local liquor store.

I would put it on par with Buffalo Trace bourbon for on ice sipping pleasure.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/01/17/windsor-distilled-canadian-whisky-best-in-world/

On ice?! :faint:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80