Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone own a 'Time worn' Eastman G-1?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking for a G-1 that could pass for late 50's- mid 60's issue for Vietnam era Sundowners tribute jacket.
I'm a size 48, so nothing that fits the bill turns up on eBay. The LW jacket I have is good, but not accurate enough. I think the Eastman is very close, but I'd really like to see what the 'time worn' version looks like.
If you own one, would you mind posting pics please?

thor

Call Me a Cab
Big J, another possible option is The Cockpit's vintage G-1 in washed goat. I own one and it's a beauty; awesome graining and burnishing and a nice honey blond mouton collar (very reminiscent of a 50's or 60's G-1). They run a bit small IMO so if you get one, I suggest sizing up.
Also, if you look around on-line you can find them considerably cheaper then The Cockpit's full price.
Good luck.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Big J, another possible option is The Cockpit's vintage G-1 in washed goat. I own one and it's a beauty; awesome graining and burnishing and a nice honey blond mouton collar (very reminiscent of a 50's or 60's G-1). They run a bit small IMO so if you get one, I suggest sizing up.
Also, if you look around on-line you can find them considerably cheaper then The Cockpit's full price.
Good luck.

Hi Thor,
Yes, I have noticed that jacket, and seen it with a discount at some places. It does indeed have a great look for pre-Vietnam G-1.
But I can't find any pictures of it other than The Cockpit's stock photos. Would you be able to post some pics of yours?

AviatorBRZ

Familiar Face
Not the best pics, but here are some links:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/168333/nwt-5epxsf-28x34-cockpit-limited-edition-g1-bomber-jacket-38-40
http://www.styleforum.net/t/146756/nwt-cockpit-u-s-a-vintage-g1-free-shipping
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/hr/5/58/Cockpit_vintage_Goatskin_G-1_jakna.jpg

What bothers me in the Cockpit G-1s is that they dont have the seam in those "leather squares in the front of the jacket" where the waist band
starts. Probably is easier to manufacture and cheaper to use just one piece of leather to each side....
Only "Top Gun" or Lambskin version have it.
But it really bothers me.

I've only seen Eastman G-1 in photos , anyway I'm pretty sure they are top quality.
But... IMHO, I just think that the the colors doesn't seem right. Vintage G-1s are in majority SEAL BROWN, with no huge discolorations... The "true aging" would be an broken in with a few scuffs.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
This distressed looking Cockpit G-1 was in the latest Orvis catalog. Not sure if this is the standard finish on all current Cockpit vintage G-1's or if it was done specially for Orvis.
The one I have is about 5 years old and it's a very dark seal brown. I'll have to dig it out and get a pic.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I like that G-1. The patches are done very tastefully.

I agree. Some of those patches are very good replicas. Also nice that they are not plastic backed, which really messes with the way the jacket creases.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Not the best pics, but here are some links:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/168333/nwt-5epxsf-28x34-cockpit-limited-edition-g1-bomber-jacket-38-40
http://www.styleforum.net/t/146756/nwt-cockpit-u-s-a-vintage-g1-free-shipping
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/hr/5/58/Cockpit_vintage_Goatskin_G-1_jakna.jpg

What bothers me in the Cockpit G-1s is that they dont have the seam in those "leather squares in the front of the jacket" where the waist band
starts. Probably is easier to manufacture and cheaper to use just one piece of leather to each side....
Only "Top Gun" or Lambskin version have it.
But it really bothers me.

I've only seen Eastman G-1 in photos , anyway I'm pretty sure they are top quality.
But... IMHO, I just think that the the colors doesn't seem right. Vintage G-1s are in majority SEAL BROWN, with no huge discolorations... The "true aging" would be an broken in with a few scuffs.

The thing that bugs me the most is the zipper. YKK? But that can be changed for a NOS Talon or Crown. Didn't notice the extra seam at the waistband until you mentioned it. Thanks!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 18356
This distressed looking Cockpit G-1 was in the latest Orvis catalog. Not sure if this is the standard finish on all current Cockpit vintage G-1's or if it was done specially for Orvis.
The one I have is about 5 years old and it's a very dark seal brown. I'll have to dig it out and get a pic.

I would be grateful if you could find photos. I'm especially interested to know if the underside of the collar has stitching.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got a 'Time Worn' M422A from ELC...great jacket, had the '50-Cal' treatment after purchase & knowledgeable persons have subsequently (based on first impressions) believed the jacket to have seen somewhat more action & time than is true. Purchased a new ELC B2 cap recently... '50 Cal' that would appear to be 'vintage'.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I've got a 'Time Worn' M422A from ELC...great jacket, had the '50-Cal' treatment after purchase & knowledgeable persons have subsequently (based on first impressions) believed the jacket to have seen somewhat more action & time than is true. Purchased a new ELC B2 cap recently... '50 Cal' that would appear to be 'vintage'.

If you could post some pics of the jacket, I'd be really grateful.
I got a standard ELC B-2, I love it, it's great in winter.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Will do Big J, wife's out tomorrow (jacket time) so I'll take the opportunity to venture into the loft and dig it out for a few photos...will be good to see it again and all the others that are living up there in a hopefully moth proof environment.

Hopefully pics should be up by tomorrow evening :)

kojax

Practically Family
i have that same jacket i really like it, great for the winter i am thinking getting the same jacket without the fur collar, i like how the g1 jacket fits me

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
Traditional G-1 collar stitching on the underside. A great all-around jacket with a true vintage appeal.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Thor, thank you for posting those pics.
it looks like a great jacket. Glad to see that the under-collar stitching is correct- it wasn't clear on some of The Cockpits stock photos.
I actually really like that a lot. I'd feel nervous about painting an order made Eastman, but think that The Cockpit jacket is just the ticket!
How does the fit work for you Thor? Is it a standard, trim military fit? Or is it a little looser? Did you order your normal tag size?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy