Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone prefer a traditional mens shoo?

The Shooman

Practically Family
Hope no-one minds me posting in this section.

I've always been curious about womens attitudes towards mens style shoes for women. Here is a few of my thoughts about shoes:

* womens shoes are not as well made.
* most womens high/medium heal shoes can be very uncomfortable to wear.
* it's very difficult to find a ladies shoe in a male styling (ladies shoes that look like mens)

1. Do you get annoyed that expensive womens shoes are never made to near the quality of a quality mans shoe?

2. Do you ever wear mens style shoes for the comfort and increased quality?

3a. Do you prefer mens shoes or womens shoes?

3b. Do you prefer the look of mens shoes or womens shoes?

l think women get a raw deal when it comes shoes.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Amen. I just spent months looking for dance shoes (I do lindy, for which I require an almost athletic shoe since I'm not 35 anymore).

I resent that pretty much all women's clothes aren't made as well as men's. Try finding an inside pocket on a ladies jacket, or ladies gloves with Thinsulate.

I've never found high heels hard to walk in. In fact, some of the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever had were flat. And I dont think it's hard to find a masculine women's shoe.

When I was a kid, I wore boys' Nikes because they fit my wide feet better than the girls'.

However, I infinitely prefer the look of women's shoes over men's. It's no contest between mary janes, pretty sandals and pumps vs. oxfords and mandals.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ladies clothing isnt made as well as mens because of the overwhelming variety that we assume we want. When you can pick 30 dresses all of different styles and such and thats just one designer in one line, quality is gonna wain.

Same with shoes. Women have always worn heels, thats not the issue, its that the style of the shoe now a days does not conform with the comfort of the wearer. Heels on vintage shoes were often thicker, the slope of the heel was not as dynamic, and there was a bit more padding. Things were made to last, not go on the whim if its wearer.

Mens clothing was in essence made to last a lifetime. A woman could go through a frock in a few months, stitch it up and keep on going. They were work clothes, now mens work clothes, Im SURE were not as lasting.

Women its about variety, men, its about fit.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another thing to think about that ties into the whole variety point is that when something is built primarily as a "fashion" item, it's meant to last only as long as that particular style --- the fashion industry is built on the idea of disposability. With men's fashions moving at a glacial pace -- a typical pair of 1930s men's shoes would be entirely inconspicuous if worn by a man on the street today -- this disposability factor doesn't come into play anywhere near as much.

You can still get women's shoes that are built to last -- I get my everyday oxfords from such companies as Clinic or Drew, companies that have been making footwear for nurses and the like for generations, often in styles that are essentially the same as they were sixty years ago. These were shoes built for function, not as a fashion item, and the construction is nowhere near as flimsy as the typical high-style shoe. And, of course, they are wicked comfy.

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
I primarily wear shoes like the ones shown in my avatar. Some fashion divas have told me they have kind of a masculine look. I wear them not because they may be masculine, but, because they are incredibly comfortable and they help me overcome a disability that often hinders my ability to walk normally.

I'd like to think they are conservatively feminine with the heel and design work.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Here are some Ladies shoes from John Lobb

pSS378.JPG

bSS225.JPG

SS7278.JPG

SS4882.JPG

pSS169.JPG

pSS104.JPG

SS4855.JPG

pSS57.JPG

bSS180.JPG

three_button_galosh1.jpg

More ladies shoes can be found here.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I wear men's boots, but not men's shoes. For work boots, I can't get a sturdy pair of women's boots in my width (wiiiide) for less than twice as much as a regular-width dude's workboot, often in that "charming" yellowy-tan color.

I'm also eyeing cowboy boots, because cowgirl boots are sooo brutally narrow on my square little feet.

In regular shoes, I like a heel, usually, or something "cute" so I just look for bargains in women's wider sizes.

I just listed all the styles I "someday" want and I'm up to 25 pairs of shoes! Omigosh! Well...if I buy a pair a year...its not that bad.

Tomasso, you're not helping! :mad: lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The only men's shoe I've ever worn were Dr. Marten's. They are very comfortable and have lasted for years. No, I don't really care for a men's look in my shoes. As for being poorly made, well, I think American women have bought into the marketing ploy that we need quantity over quality. I do own a few pairs of really nice, expensive shoes that have held up over the years, but after 4-5 years, they're no longer in fashion. Why would I pay $150-200 for a pair of shoes that would be "out" next year? When my husband graduated college, he got a custom tailored suit and high-end shoes for interviews and special occasions. Fifteen years later, the suit and shoes don't look dated. I can't imagine wearing a pair of 15 year old ladies shoes, with the big chunky shoe was that in back then.

Sunny

One Too Many
I have very average feet and don't find a whole lot of shoes uncomfortable. The non-leather uppers tend to bug me more in the long run because they don't conform to my feet. Heel height does not bother me until it reach 3" or more. A big bonus for heels, though, is when the toe is slanted upward, so when walking the shoe "rocks" itself forward; it's much easier to walk in. I vastly prefer the look of women's shoes to men's. I actually find a slight heel to be very attractive and don't like the look of flats, unless they're in a style like work boots or sandals.

The only shoes I've paid $100+ for were both repros: 1860s boots, and Remix wedges. I do have a pair of snakeskin pumps that I got on clearance; they seem very well made to me, and are in a classic style.

The only men's shoes I've ever really worn were baseball cleats outgrown by my brothers. :p

That link to John Lobb is just CRUEL!! :eek:

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Grrrr...shoes! It is interesting to run across this thread - I spent all weekend shopping for a pair of lace-up oxfords (or anythings even remotely close)...and I failed miserably. So miserably in fact, I was seriously thinking about trying to find a small pair of men's shoes that might work. I work in a office, but I am out delivering things frequently during the day, so I need shoes that are both comfortable and will last more than a week (sidewalks destroy all modern heels.) I would also like something vaguely feminine, but right now anything that would go with a tweed suit would make me very happy. I am getting some ideas here though. Thank you for starting this thread - and thank you to those who replied! I am desperate!

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Mrs. Merl said:
Grrrr...shoes! It is interesting to run across this thread - I spent all weekend shopping for a pair of lace-up oxfords (or anythings even remotely close)...and I failed miserably. So miserably in fact, I was seriously thinking about trying to find a small pair of men's shoes that might work. I work in a office, but I am out delivering things frequently during the day, so I need shoes that are both comfortable and will last more than a week (sidewalks destroy all modern heels.) I would also like something vaguely feminine, but right now anything that would go with a tweed suit would make me very happy. I am getting some ideas here though. Thank you for starting this thread - and thank you to those who replied! I am desperate!

Mrs Merl:

Check out the "Trinket" by P.W. Shoes. http://www.pwminor.com/Image.aspx?src=/Data/pcProducts/lg_Trinket.jpg. I have worn this type of shoe for years. They are incredibly comfortable and available in all sizes and widths. They go great with suits and dark hose. They are business perfect and still feminine.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Mrs. Merl said:

Check these out- I have them, really comfy!

http://www.naturalizer.com/shop_onl...ual&PID=sotlar&variant_id=15862001&Size=%%%-%

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
The shoes depicted are lovely! I would love a pair like that.

I just can't wear mens' shoes -- it's a size issue. My feet are average-sized (7.5 women's), but narrow as well.

I have a pair of saddle shoes I like, but they're not great for walking all day in. I'm still breaking them in and softening the leather -- once they get a little more wear, I'm going to put insoles in.

For the winter, I wear a pair of leather heeled boots, calf-length. They're harder for me to walk in since they're loose around the ankles, and I'm looking for a good pair of second-hand kitten-heel boots that'll be more comfortable (and better for my knees!).

If I'm walking a lot or working out, I just wear my acid-green Saucony shoes. Not vintage in any way, but in terms of comfort and support, they leave my Keds and saddle shoes in the dust! They're great for school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot