Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Remember Car Coats?

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Yesterday I had a need (okay, call it a desire) to wear a coat over my attire that was longer than a jacket, but shorter than a topcoat or trench coat. I found I do not have such outerwear in my closet.

In years past, there was a garment known as a "car coat." It was a coat that fell below the waist and above the knees, usually made of wool. So named, I believe, because it was the perfect length to wear while seated in a car or coach. They seem to have disappeared from fashion.

Granted, I haven't searched exhaustively for one, but it seems that when I look around, no one wears this type of outerwear any more. Puffy down, waist-length jackets, or simple shells seem to be de rigeur these days.

Trust me to buck the trends...

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
There may be regional differences, but here in Germany all the fashion warehouses, Zara, H&M as well as more expensive ones as Hugo Boss offer single button front wool coats in slightly-shorter-than-knee-length and you see them worn a lot. Surprisingly mostly by younger people in their twenties. I think it's just a question of current fashion and target marketing.

Johnson Leather makes a great leather car coat btw, I own one in their bison hide. Unfortunately it doesn't fit me too well anymore. Was baggy to begin with and I dropped 10 lbs since I last wore it, but I lived in that thing for about a year and loved it!

zebedee

One Too Many
I have an Aero Stockman and an SB copy of a 1960's/1970's Canadian car coat (I think it was a car coat- it looks somewhere between Sweeney Todd's coat and the kinda thing that a pimp might have worn in his heyday. I don't know why I had it made, but I does these things). Wool pea coats and almost cropped puffer jackets have taken over. People don't wear longer coats of any stripe (particularly not leather) anywhere near as much.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
My Freewheelers Brakeman is essentially a leather car coat. Fuller length, but doesn’t ride up when used in the car.

Attachments

• ADEC22EF-C2CE-40CC-82FB-8C3AF095EAEC.jpeg
    ADEC22EF-C2CE-40CC-82FB-8C3AF095EAEC.jpeg
    536.5 KB · Views: 564
  • 3951212A-BEE1-44AA-949E-B1FAFE8A08B2.jpeg
    3951212A-BEE1-44AA-949E-B1FAFE8A08B2.jpeg
    572.5 KB · Views: 424

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have a couple of leather car coats. Mine are brown leather with wide short lapels, built sort of like a peacoat but single breasted with a 3 button front. They fall to the bottom of my bottom.

Search results for 'car coat' are kind of all over the place but they are out there.

Dm101

A-List Customer
I found that exact coat this winter at "Men's Wearhouse".
They sell a wool "Top-Coat" that fits the exact specifications you mentioned.
On me, it comes right at the level of my groin and allows for easy movement with the split back at the waist.
This is the one I purchased...fits me perfectly and goes with my hats VERY well!!
https://www.menswearhouse.com/mens-...-cashmere-blend-modern-fit-topcoat-727X727Y02
MW40_725M_02_JOSEPH_ABBOUD_WHITE_LABEL_BLACK_SOLID_SET

I am looking for a spring jacket that is just like it and so far have only found the "Frock Coat".
Trench coats and dusters are too long and anything I get has to be cotton and unlined.
I may wind up taking a blazer and having the bottom extended to the same length as my top-coat by my tailor. Will cost a pretty penny and be a long wait...but if they don't sell it, ya have to make it.
*shrug*

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
There may be regional differences, but here in Germany all the fashion warehouses, Zara, H&M as well as more expensive ones as Hugo Boss offer single button front wool coats in slightly-shorter-than-knee-length and you see them worn a lot. Surprisingly mostly by younger people in their twenties. I think it's just a question of current fashion and target marketing.
Short overcoats are everywhere these days it seems. Several weeks back my main client (which I shall soon be firing) saw my long coat and lamented that he couldn't find a long one to buy these days. As you say, there may be regional quirks, but the original poster should go to a large shopping mall and will likely find what he's looking for.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've several "Car Coats". My Aero LHB qualifies I believe as do several wool ones Filson, Woolrich, etc... Not too hard to find. I know LW used to make one.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot