Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long trenchcoats that aren't overly expensive?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I was looking around and trying to find a nice, really long trenchcoat(like the ankle length kind or maybe just below knee length can be fine too), but have been having trouble. I'll see really nice ones from designers like YSL orDOLCE&GABBANA but they'll be really expensive and easily cost thousands. Or I try to find something cheaper and it's either the wrong length(like a waist length coat), or something that looks really cheap and almost like a halloween costume or something(I've seen this when getting results from Amazon or Etsy unfortunately). Does anyone know of a nice trenchcoat that is long like I'm describing but isn't in the thousands as far as price?

Here is an example of the kind of coat I'm thinking of in terms of length, if I find any other examples I'll post, this is just to give an idea:
Medium-749162Y060R1005_Y.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Great coats cost a lot less used. You can have them professionally cleaned and even relined and still come out much less than a brand new one.

YSL and D&G make them in black so it looks cooloer. You can find non luxury brand navy ones and those are probably gonna be the most versitle, in dim ligtinf navy is as good as black.

Length wise you're looking at 42" or below the knee, 36" is more for above the knee and thigh length, which is actually easier to live with during the day but still give longer coat look.

There is a long coat thread here somewhere, I remember posting photos of my coats there before. Search "great coat" or "ulster coat" for the look you have in the photo.

Edward

Bartender
Try using a different search term. Trench coat strictly speaking is a raincoat style (think Bogart in Casablanca); the one in your picture is a long, wool overcoat. Using search terms like overcoat and 'great coat' might help produce better results. The problem of course being that there's a lot of low-price, low quality 'fast fashion' stuff out there that uses word-stuffing for hits.... Can be a nightmare. It also seems that contemporary fashion emphasises a mid-thigh to on the knee length, not much around that goes beyond that even for those of us of fairly average height. Fine if you're into a teens/twenties silhouette, but...

One option to consider is military surplus / repro stuff. With a little effort you can find some of these that with a change of buttons can pass nicely for a mid-century civilian coat.

https://www.amazon.com/Mil-Tec-Double-Breasted-Naval-Great/dp/B00VWVZFO2 is an option I'm look at myself.

I'm also planning at some point, maybe for next Winter now, picking up one of these - https://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/1939-british-army-pattern-bef-greatcoat.html

A change of buttons will civilianise that design nicely.

The other DB overcoat I'm looking at for myself is this one:

I have actually owned (still do, unless my parents have decided to "do me a favour" by selling it, like they did an original Vietnam US helmet that was a much treasured piece of my collection I'd not yet been able to bring to London.... gah) an original RAF great coat that belonged to a Captain Dobbs who flew with the Dam Busters. It had had the buttons switched for leather football buttons - he clearly wore it in civilian life after the war - and would (were it not far too small for me now) pass perfectly as a period civilian overcoat. Perhaps more so than the army version, given the grey-blue is a less obviously "military" colour.

All of these styles would hit me at mid-calf level, which is my preferred length for an overcoat. I really want one of the Cathcart overcoats, but they're all on the knee.... Accurate to the 20s look they're designed for (and, commercially, a good choice as that crosses over with current fashion), but no dice for me....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner