Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone wear their hats tipped back?

Tampahound

One of the Regulars
Pduck said:
How do all of you wear your hats? Level, tipped forward, tipped back, at an angle kind of jaunty-like?

Picture19.png

All of the above for many of the previously mentioned reasons. Sometimes my forehead (really more of a sixhead!) needs some air, but I suspect that this picture that triggered the discussion is caused more by need of a director to see the actor's face than to accurately portray what was the style. A hat worn more forward shades the face from the light needed for a good shot. When I take pictures for the FL I want to see more hat than face. Often the opposite is true! My $.02.:)

FATS88

One of the Regulars
Yea!

I was also going to add that; about the way most actors wear their
hats.
Didn't want to post too long of a reply :eek:

carter

I'll Lock Up
Of course, actors wearing their hats tipped back in the movies was more about the camera being able to capture their faces than anything else. As for attitude, I think Sinatra nailed it.

jpbales

Practically Family
FATS88 said:
I was also going to add that; about the way most actors wear their
hats.
Didn't want to post too long of a reply :eek:

Reminds me of this fella:
untouchables-cast_1137616950-000.jpg

Usually when I'm taking pictures (not for the purpose of hat pics) I try to tilt my hat back further back on my head so that the camera can see my face better, but it doesn't always help- as can be seen from this photo:
2606_57036159555_508429555_1379243_41485_n.jpg

That hat was tilted a bit higher than usual, but i still have shadowy eyes.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
it depends on what I wear it with, if I'm wearing more casual clothes I wear it tipped back but if I'm wearing a suit or pretty much anything with slacks I wear it level.

pauljmuk

New in Town
akubra cattleman wearer here.

I prefer mine both ways, but with this hat, the classic aussie rancher style IS to wear the hat on the back of the head. My wife thinks the hat looks cool that way, but not too far back as it looks like some 1980's pop video.

like others, i push back when the sweat is getting a bit wet.

And, sorry, but I gotta mention the Indiana connection.... there are some damn fine scenes in those movies, particularly when he is hot, bothered, just out of a fight etc, when the hat is firmly on the back of his head. But that kind of sums up the comments above - working hard? hot? sweaty? just beaten off a bunch of Nazi's after your loot?
For all of the above, tip the hat back!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
As it turns out, the hat in my avatar, the one I wear most, btw, is often tipped back on my head. This is one of the reasons I wear it so often. It's the only one of mine that feels completely natural there.

On another note, I had referred to it in previous posts as a Stetson Imperial, but upon reading much here at FL, if I have read correctly, I have come to discover that Imperial is a 'quality' of felt. I also learned that you can learn more about your hat if you tip down the sweatband and look for a small label.

So I did, and it says:

ADVENTURE DF5004
CHOCOLATE
IMPERIAL
2 1/8
73/8

The spacing of the numbers is just like that.

So I guess its a Stetson Adventure made with Imperial quality felt. The color is chocolate, the brim is 2 1/8", and the size is 7 3/8. Does this sound plausible?

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I find lately I enjoy tipping my hats to the side a little, so that the brim touches my right ear, and rides about 1.5 inches above my left ear. Most of the time over the last few years I have worn them level.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
1911 Man said:
I find lately I enjoy tipping my hats to the side a little, so that the brim touches my right ear, and rides about 1.5 inches above my left ear. Most of the time over the last few years I have worn them level.
I'm with 1911 Man, but with the brim just barely touching my left ear. My Fed IV seems to sit naturally back further on my head than other hats...don't know why that is yet. Maybe the broader brim causes me to keep the swoop out of my eyes...although that doesn't seem to be the problem with my vintage Adam.

Thwack

Familiar Face
I'll tilt mine back if I'm wearing it indoors for anyreason. That makes eye contact with others easier and I'm not hiding my face (despite the fact that it has been known to terrorize children and women).

Torpedo

One Too Many
Thwack said:
I'll tilt mine back if I'm wearing it indoors for anyreason. That makes eye contact with others easier and I'm not hiding my face (despite the fact that it has been known to terrorize children and women).

I reckon we are much in the same mood there. I tend to tilt my hat back too if engaging in conversation, or if adressing to an employee at a shop, for instance. Somehow I think it is polite and transmit easiness, approachability, you name it.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been trying to put a bit more back tilt when I wear one, since I've been getting back into it. I like the way it brings the brim and crown into a nice balance. It isn't quite to the degree in the posted stills, but it sure isn't two fingers off the bridge of the nose, either. More like the way my father is wearing his fedora in this enlargement from a photo taken in 1947 when he was 14.

closeup-1.jpg

dean

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Pip said:
I couldn't have said it better myself. The way I wear my hat often reflects my mood, more often than not though it's on a slightly jaunty angle. A smidgen to one side and pushed back a little.

I'm in this club too. Straight, jaunty, brim up, brim down, high, low whatever I want and feel like. I think that until you can have a comfort level like this with the hat you will never really approach the way hats were used in the golden era.

I think we tend to way over think this stuff. It's like when the nerd asks Shatner a question regarding Star Trek cannon and he says "who cares?" ;)

Try not to be a hat nerd, just wear it.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
bolthead said:
The 1st person that came to mind, to me when I read this thread, was our very own Fletch. I think he pulls it off well. [huh]
If I don't, the wind does, eventually. lol Thanks for the shoutout.

Doc Smith said:
Two to three fingers width above the eyebrows, level and square. Every time I try something different, my hindbrain is just waiting for the First Shirt to come along and rip me a new one....
You gotta wonder, sometimes, how we won WW2 with our hats on so crooked.
Clay_in_World_War_II.jpg

Clay "Gramps" Gorton, USAAF, 1923-2008

Will Morgan

Vendor
There is jaunty, and then there is cattywhampus!

I've noticed that I tilt my hat back when I go into a store and want to appear friendly and polite without actually taking my hat off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner