Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does leather burn?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
avedwards said:
This place wasn't seedy, it just looked like a shop selling cheap hats and some other cheap clothing. I didn't have a bad feeling then, I went in because I wanted to pass time while waiting for other shops to open (it was Sunday morning).

Ok hot stuff. I stand corrected;)lol

avedwards said:
the reason I am not too stressed over this is that the person used a cheap lighter for a few seconds not a flame thrower. The jacket is not ruined, there is only a mark. Unfortunately I can't remember the shop's name but I know it was on Oxford Street near where you turn the corner to get to Mayfair.

And while I'm 16, I'm not your steriotypical British "YOB" teenager (which is why I'm talking on this site). I don't resort to violence other than self defence and at no point in my encounter did I feel threatened.

Instant Stockholm syndrome. You was had. I am done giving away the benefit of the doubt, even to those with only "cheap lighters".

Carlisle Blues

Peacoat said:
CB, you gave some very good advice in your earlier post. Sounds like you have been a father!

Hi Peacoat good to see you. Thank you for your thoughts.

I have a boy who just turned 3. I will die for my boy. I gotta tell ya though, if anyone put a flame on my boy's jacket I'd kick their butt then I would kick my boy's butt for letting them do it. :rage: lol lol

Then I would hug him because that means he trusts me enough to help him.;) ;)

Klemmi

New in Town
Leather don't burn so easy, but it shrinks under heat. Many FireFighters was killing by their own jackets. The men survive an explosion but stifle in the shrunken jackets.

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
RondoHatton said:
Instant Stockholm syndrome. You was had. I am done giving away the benefit of the doubt, even to those with only "cheap lighters".

I second "Instant Stockholm Syndrome"

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
RondoHatton said:
Mr. Window, meet Mr. Brick.

I wonder, should I put an event in the events section for loungers to come and teach this man some manners? How many people would be interested? lol US loungers bring firearms, Brits will have to do with sticks.

Carlisle Blues

avedwards said:
I wonder, should I put an event in the events section for loungers to come and teach this man some manners? How many people would be interested? lol US loungers bring firearms, Brits will have to do with sticks.

I still don't why you allowed that to happen
confused.gif

You have an affirmative duty to mitigate your damages. However, you just stood there ... [huh]

I guess that will one of the mysteries for the Ages;)

dr greg

One Too Many
barrow boys

Look I might not have set foot in London for the best part of 20 years, but I do recall Oxford St as being definitely a long way down the scale in regards to menswear shops, and pushy sales tactics by spivs are a staple of English life. Then again my perspective might have been coloured by the fact I used to work in Jermyn St.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Carlisle Blues said:
confused.gif

You have an affirmative duty to mitigate your damages. However, you just stood there ... [huh]

At the time I was unable to act quickly enough to pull back, since he had the advantage of surprise. But I have to repeat that my jacket is hardly damaged, which is why I didn't take action. That's why I suggested all interested loungers visit him like vintage mobsters with hats, suits, coats and weapons. Unfortunately I can't remember the shop's name but I can remember its location being on the part of Oxford Street where you turn off to get to Mayfair.

What was amazing about London was that the stupid comments were almost non-existant (only one Inspector Gadget tune hummed when I had my trench coat on). I suppose that London is so multicultural that non-conformity is hardly noticable.

armod

Familiar Face
Carlisle Blues said:
confused.gif

seems like a simple case of shy guy.
I was the same at that age. short on confidence and speed in interactions with other people. the slick salesman saw this and thought he'd be an easy pitch and tried it. it didn't result in a sale but the nice guy/best buddies routine worked to the point where avedwards is almost standing up for the guy who burned his jacket.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
armod said:
seems like a simple case of shy guy.
... to the point where avedwards is almost standing up for the guy who burned his jacket.
I'm not standing up to him, I just think he's too much of a waste of time to get wound up about. And after all, my jacket is still wearable and the damage is hardly noticable now. And as for shy, let's just say I'm not. I'm not going to bore everyone with the details of my personal life but I am easily able to give a speech in front of 300 people while pretending to be an evil Russian without any stagefright, so I don't condsider myself shy.

Mike in Seattle

carouselvic said:
I think even Gandhi would have taken a swing at that salesman.;)

Alas, I don't think we would ever have seen the great Indian leader Ghandi in a leather jacket...but I bet Will Rogers would've had to change his trademark quote had he run into THAT moron!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran