Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does vintage clothing attract a rude/violent response?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Sure do! Don't forget we meet every Thursday. lol

We'll use your cocktail shaker this time, Tom ;)

Here's a rude response: A girl gave me the daggers the other day for my heels and seamed stockings, though it was likely because her male companion had his eyes glued to them. Since women don't wear them anymore, he was probably just fascinated by the sight. I can only imagine what she said about me later on!

I've gotten a plethora of looks for seams, and I'll get thousands more. I think they carry connotations today that they didn't originally.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
It's funny. The ones that I find that harass others for being different, are, for the lack of a better word, primitive. It is their reptilian complex of their brains that give off the fight or flight attitude. Like most of ancient humanity, and some modern, if something is different, it confuses them and thus they are afraid of it.

I agree with the thrust of this claim. I think that, in general, human beings uncritically project our inner life onto people in the outer world. Those of us who are different, because of our own choices or because of factors beyond our control, often end up bearing the inadequacies and fears of others. In this thread, I hear a lot of people expressing the pain and anger that comes from being mistreated and disrespected. But the post above also gives me pause. It verges on de-humanizing those who de-humanize us. I understand why this is so tempting, knowing something of the pain of being different. But I think it is also wrong.

I don't want to call people who curse me "primitive" or "reptilian," unless I honestly confess that I am both of those things more often that I'd like. Instead I long to see them as struggling to be human and failing at it, just like me. I think compassion in the face of persecution is always a better answer than hardening our hearts. If we villainize our attackers, we cease to be any different from them. In the context of this forum, we just become bullies in vintage clothing, rather than modern.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've gotten a plethora of looks for seams, and I'll get thousands more. I think they carry connotations today that they didn't originally.

Most people under 40 have *only* seen seamed hose in a fetish/bedroom setting. They have no idea they were ever anything else.

I often wear service-weight seamed stockings with heavy housewife-type laceup oxfords, and this completely baffled such people. They think of naughty things and their grandmas at the same time, and their heads implode from the strain.

rue

Most people under 40 have *only* seen seamed hose in a fetish/bedroom setting. They have no idea they were ever anything else.

I often wear service-weight seamed stockings with heavy housewife-type laceup oxfords, and this completely baffled such people. They think of naughty things and their grandmas at the same time, and their heads implode from the strain.

That's hysterical Lizzie! I'll bet it does just that.

The funniest thing I've heard all day! I've honestly never even thought of seamed stockings in a dirty sort of way. How sheltered am I?!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

Considering the places I have to go to buy seamed stockings, it makes a lot of sense. I have to remind myself that people's ideas about vintage clothing are a tad askew, aswell.

That's hysterical lol If it were in a Bugs Bunny cartoon, steam might come out of their ears.

Zeropositive

Familiar Face
I went to a prohibition night in London and these young girls loved my suit and Stetson hat :) They asked me for a photo with me... made me proud of the clothing I was wearing.

Most people aren't used to seeing someone dressed with that amount of class.

We'll use your cocktail shaker this time, Tom ;)

Here's a rude response: A girl gave me the daggers the other day for my heels and seamed stockings, though it was likely because her male companion had his eyes glued to them. Since women don't wear them anymore, he was probably just fascinated by the sight. I can only imagine what she said about me later on!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Ya gotsta watch out for those naughty grandmas.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran