Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does vintage make you look.... *older*?

Edward

Bartender
Rathko said:
Fortunately, I've long considered youth highly overrated.

The longer ago my youth was, the more convinced I become that it must have been overrated. From what I can remember, anyhow.... lol

Fleur De Guerre said:
that = old to the stbMIL!

The woman sounds positively ghastly. I should hope you treat her comments with the contempt they so richly deserve.

ThesFlishThngs said:
Flat caps make a man look either like Gu, my husband's Welsh grandfather, or like he's out of Madness. ;)

Hmmn. By preference, I'll opt for the 'Gu' look over Madness anyday.

donCarlos

Practically Family
I looked in the mirror today, wearing a burgundy sweater vest, white shirt and khakis and I really could only think of one think:

"I AM old! God, I I´m like seventy years old and that´s not good at all!"

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
However I find these comments to be especially annoying, because my best friend looks extremely *young*! So the only 28 year old she spends time with regularly is petite, baby-faced and high of voice. She also does dress in a typical girlish fashion with straight longish hair! *This* 28 year old is often in tailored clothing, is tall and broad and has intricate hairdos so that = old to the stbMIL!

Just tell her "My dear Mrs. ____, I can only wish my vintage look would become me as much as the green eyed monster look becomes you." ;) Besides, where is her legion of internet fans?

She sounds like a real treat - Wanna set her up with my FMIL? :rolleyes:

I am always guessed to be about 25. I am 18. I am sure it is due to my dress, hairstyle, vintage manners, etc. Even my own folks chew me up and down for my vintage style and that I need to get with the times.

ws1

New in Town
I often get called an old man, or I've had one person say "you look like my grandad". In the case of former I just went along with it. In the case of the latter I replied that the person's grandad must have had a very good dress sense.

I have had the same experience since I was 17-20 years old. Now I´m around 50 and satisfied with being older. I have dressed in a classic way since I was around 17 yo. I have always suit, often 3-piece. I have never used sport-clothes, never jeans and so on. I always use hat, often bowler and I like to have a cane. I have more times then I can count got the question about age, comments about looking much older, looking like a grandfather and so on. I have just listened and never changed my way of dressing. I have never been interested in any kind of sport or another fysical activity and that probably helps.

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
Honestly, most of the people I know professionally already place me at 10-15 years younger than I am. Don't ask me why-- I don't see it-- unless it has something to do with not having wrinkles (oily skin) or grey hair (dye). So I guess if vintage ages me, it'll end up making me look my actual age!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have had plenty of people comment on my "old man clothes." It is kinda appropriate, my favorite sweater vest, which I wear quite often, was actually my grandfathers, and I picked up my habit of wearing only white shirts from him. However, people usually don't peg me any older than I am. Maybe a couple years, but I get guessed younger sometimes too. For the record, I am 21.

The only time I have been told I looked older was when I got back from spending a summer in Italy, and looking at photos, I did. It was rather nice actually, because I looked more my age afterwards than I did before.

I don't think it hurts things that I have a very slender frame. I still look as thought I haven't filled out yet (who knows, maybe I will someday, maybe not), which adds to youthfulness in my appearance. Or else maybe I am delusional and most people think that I am ten years older than I really am.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I went to Guitar Center in Hollywood and the last time I was there 20 years ago it was filled with teens to thirty somethings all dressed as either rock stars or the rock t-shirt and jeans.

This time the place was filled with 40 to 60 somethings in rock t-shirts and jeans. I felt like they had never left GC.

This is an old post from you, John, but I couldn't help but give it a :eeek: :eusa_doh:lol. You could probably find a similar scene at Ameoba Music over on Hollywood Blvd...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Age is a state of mind. The only time I feel old is when I look in the mirror expecting to see myself at 25 and there's some old broad resembling my mom looking back at me :p

Heaven in thy creation did decree
That in thy face sweet love should ever dwell;
Whate'er thy thoughts or thy heart's workings be,
Thy looks should nothing thence but sweetness tell.

Shakespeare
:)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does vintage make you look older? Well, considering I was told today at Church that I looked like President William Howard Taft, I'd say yes.

Hell, President Taft has been dead a long, long time. [huh] :eeek: [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy