Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dog ownership - questions, costs??

Naphtali

Practically Family
I have been considering acquiring a dog from the Humane Society. But I have no idea what I would be getting into in terms of maintenance costs - that is, veterinary services, food, other?? I grew up with English bulldogs, but they are fragile, extremely high maintenance animals. And ours weighed between 80 and 125 pounds, much too large for my home. My experience with tiny dogs - rats!! - is such that I would drink Liquid Plumber before owning one.

While I have part of my backyard fenced, the yard usually maintains a three-foot snow accumulation (or more) from December through June. I have not removed snow from my yard in the past, and I would not remove it for a dog's convenience.

I recognize my query is disorganized. I hope responders catch my intent. Before I do something that is unpleasant to undo, I want to understand what is involved in ownership of a 40-60 pound dog.

Kabel

Familiar Face
I would suggest you go to a veterinarian. They usually have all the correct information on maintenance costs and of course the cost of your dog's health. Also, good on you for wanting to help a dog have a nice home! A very kind and respectable thing to do.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The eleven bulldogs I've owned have been very hardy.

That said, One gets a dog for what it can bring to your life and vice-versa. Cost (unless you're looking at getting a poodle and planning a constant show clip) should be down the list of factors in the decision.

That That said.

Spaying/neutering will run a couple hundred dollars and up. Vaccinations that much again. Best quality dog food $30+ for a decent sized bag. Check to see what local licensing requirements/costs would be.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
VPI Pet insurance has saved up a bunch of times on emergency vet bills.

But then again, cost really isn't an issue when it comes to a family member, furry or not.

Rathdown

Practically Family
While I have part of my backyard fenced, the yard usually maintains a three-foot snow accumulation (or more) from December through June. I have not removed snow from my yard in the past, and I would not remove it for a dog's convenience.
If that's you attitude toward dog ownership I'd suggest you not get a dog. Owning pets is never convenient, and a dog is no exception. They eat. They urinate. They defecate. Usually these events take place in your yard. But if you don't provide adequate room for them to exercise (or crap) in your yard-- even in the dead of winter-- they tend to do it in your home.

So, if you can't be inconvenienced to provide your dog with a place to exercise or pee, or take a dump, get a pet rock instead. It has no feelings, and can be blissfully ignored to your heart's content.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

This place has a lot of good information:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

The data in the link has been helpful in understanding puppy behavior, Great Pyrenees behavior, and Poodle behavior.

I would suggest that if you have a backyard with 3 feet of snow and want a dog, you'll want a tall dog. Our toy poodle won't wizz if that part touches snow. I inadvertently dug a "P" shaped path for her to "P" in, and was severely chastised for it. I mean REALLY it was a path for her to go out in the yard and walk in a circle..... Really. :eusa_doh:

In addition, my son bought a dog from an accident (half Cocker Spaniel, half American Eskimo Dog) and Maverick thinks my son is the best thing to hit the Earth. You have to pat attention to your dog, or there's no sense having one.

Later

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many

Nobody's forcing you to get a dog, so if you're going to, you aught to change your perspective on doing things for the dog's convenience. Comes with the territory. Otherwise, the dog would be perfectly justified in using your floor instead. Dogs aren't going to learn how to use a toilet for your convenience, after all.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Add bed ($25 and up), crate (a must) ($50 and up), training collar ($5), regular collar ($12-20), leash ($20), bowls, ($10), Toys ($??), nail clippers ($10), files ($10), shampoo ($5 and up)...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
If you are ready to sacrifice your life if necessary (holidays etc...) and give everything to your dog .... a dog is part of the family Naphtali ... then get a dog and give him lots of love, time and care ,dogs deserve nothing less

Otherwise get fish Naphtali

Spare the dog. If you have to ask...
You just don't exude "I'd love a dog" to me.
No offense meant. But my family all have contributed to rescuing lots if animals and I'm defensive about it.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
All the dogs we have ever had have been rescue animals. They have also all been mutts, the best kind to have in my opinion.

No dog is 'cheap to run', they are not a car. They eat (sometimes your stuff whilst you are out), they poo and wee (often over your stuff at first), they do not always fit in with your lifestyle, espcially regarding holidays. They need training if they are not to destroy your home or nip a neighbours child. They need exercise, discipline, play, love - in fact all the things a child needs.

If you wouldn't clear a 3ft snow drift for your toddler's benefit then don't get a dog.

rue

Something about this statement makes me feel that you wouldn't be the best candidate for dog ownership.

I agree. If you plan on keeping the dog outside all the time (most especially in 3 feet of snow), please do not get one. That said, there is no such thing as a free dog and there is really no way to plan for cost. All the planning in the world can't guarantee that it won't need thousands of dollars worth of operations, medicine, etc. at some point.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I agree. If you plan on keeping the dog outside all the time (most especially in 3 feet of snow), please do not get one. That said, there is no such thing as a free dog and there is really no way to plan for cost. All the planning in the world can't guarantee that it won't need thousands of dollars worth of operations, medicine, etc. at some point.

My parents spent close to $10,000 on a dog in the last 3 years of his life. He was a "free puppy." The dog saved my fathers life once. The dog went blind (totally unrelated to the incident). They took him to the state Vet School for treatment, which took one day every two months and all that money. The dog had a good life, and lived 3-4 years after it started to go blind (with restored vision). Who could honestly look at a blind dog that saved your life and say "No, I won't treat your blindness. Suffer or I will put you to sleep." when it was in their power to fix it?

A dog is a member of your family. While I understand that their value might not be as much as a child (for obvious reasons) they are still a member of your family and not a "throw away" that a person just gets rid of when they get sick. You do the best that you can. I have heard that it costs about $250-$500 a year in vet bills, plus food, etc.

I love dogs, I want to have several, but right now our lives are not good for a dog. We have a small fenced yard, and often spend 12 hours away from the house. A dog needs to be let out, needs lots of training, and needs lots of attention. We're not prepared to give that right now. We are also planning on having children in the next 5 years, and it is recommended that you have a child then add a dog, so that the child is old enough to interact appropriately with the dog. (I do not want to be in the situation where I must re-home a dog because they hurt a child or in a situation in which a child is hurt by a dog. Both are preventable on my end.)

So in other words, pets are expensive and they are members of your family.

Connery

One Too Many
I have been considering acquiring a dog from the Humane Society. But I have no idea what I would be getting into in terms of maintenance costs - that is, veterinary services, food, other?? I grew up with English bulldogs, but they are fragile, extremely high maintenance animals. And ours weighed between 80 and 125 pounds, much too large for my home. My experience with tiny dogs - rats!! - is such that I would drink Liquid Plumber before owning one.

I recognize my query is disorganized. I hope responders catch my intent. Before I do something that is unpleasant to undo, I want to understand what is involved in ownership of a 40-60 pound dog.

I would ask that you present your entire post to the Human Society when answering their questionnaire which, in part, helps them to determine if you are a "right fit" for owning a dog. Many of the dogs that come from these these of "societies" have special needs. They may have been traumatized emotionally or physically abused and need special care and consideration. No one wants to place a dog with the wrong people and the person who receives the dog should know exactly what they are getting into. Good luck:)

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
I found a Rott puppy in a box by the door of a grocery store. I had no idea what I was getting myself into since she was my first dog. I spent a lot of $$$ and time on her and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It truly is nice to have someone that is always happy to see you walk through the door. Owning a dog does cost money and time. If you cant devote the time necessary to properly train and care for a large breed dog, please do the dog and yourself a favor and pass.

85 pound female Rottweiler

flea drops:................ $20/month
shots:........................$200/yr
food:........................ $50-75/month
kennel (thrift store):.. $25 ($100 new)

Costco dog bed:....... $30 (I go through 2 or 3 beds per year)
toys:.........................$60/yr
leash/halti collar:....... $40
bi monthly grooming: $30
roughly $1275.00 per year to maintain this dog. Wow, it really adds up when you put in on paper and this is on the conservative side. If she gets sick or gets a foxtail up her nose, add a few hundred more to the total.

Like I said before. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

2011-06-01173453.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Jinkies, dogs are expensive.... or maybe it only looks that way because I'm not a dog person? ;) I'm lucky I've always preferred cats as they're just much more practical for me anyhow. Probably costs me in the region of GBP40 a month on food and litter. My girls live indoors, so they only need flea'ed every six months or so. Vet bill for their jabs one a year is about GBP100. If you do take on a pet, it's worth looking into insurance - I pay out GBP24 a month for both of my pair. Never claimed on it, but it's worth it for the peace of mind. I have lifetime policies for them, which means that should either of them develop something like cat diabetes (which can easily be managed, but costs more than GBP24 a month per cat, I believe), there's no renewal time where they say "sorry, pre-existing condition, not covered". The policy level I have is "economy", which is good for four grand UK per cat per illness per year. I really hope that over the course of their lives I waste my money (much better thn them getting sick) - the peace of mind at knowing I'm never going to have to face one of my babies being put down because I can't afford to have her treated is more than worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR