Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dom Perignon

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
I am considering the purchase of a bottle of Dom Perignon for Christmas this year, and was wondering if anyone had any advice to offer pertaining to good years, purchase, storage, opening, serving, ect. This will be my first bottle of Champagne so any and all advise is welcome.

Jesse

New in Town
For Dom Perignon, anything between 1975-1996 are good vintages I hear. Keep it ~56 degrees on it's side and in the dark, chill in fridge before preparing to serve in fluted glasses. Cheers! Merry Christmas in advance friend. :D

Miss sofia

One Too Many
"I prefer the '53 myself" - Sean Connery as Bond, (Dr No), after using another bottle as a weapon.

I'm very jealous, alas i won't be drinking any this Christmas.:mad:

I have a bottle of '86 Dom my wife gave me before we were married. I was going to open it at our wedding (my father always was itching to get at that bottlelol) but my father didn't live to see the day so I just kind of put it away and never really thought much about actually drinking it.

Vintage lover said:
Thanks for the info Jesse, and sorry about your loss James, and I wish I could both find and afford the 53 Miss Sofia lol

Ah, its been 17 years. You get a calous over that by then and it doesn't bother as much anymore. [huh]
I've got to figure an occassion where I can actually drink it though. Maybe one of my son's weddings. :D Considering the oldest is four......lol

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Krug (non Vintage)

Is a lovely, complex drink with lots of excitement going on in the glass.

For a good vintage, try the 1988 (though getting pricey and often bought as an investment now) or the fantastic 1998 (*the last of the best years of the 90's).
Rather complex, aromatic, and a toasty nose with subtle herby and citrussy notes coming through.
The palate is amazingly bright and fresh to the touch (with your tongue) with tight, complex, toasty, citrussy fruit and notes of vanilla and herbs - they are there, just close your eyes and search for them.
Generally a very bright and lively little dancer of a drink with high acidity. Then finishes youthful and a little herby on the back taste (the taste you are finally left with on your palate).

Start with a Grande Curvee NV and you just cannot go wrong folks ;) Now GO pop some CORKS..!!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner