Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doris Day At 88 In Rare Radio Interview

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Thanks DH thats fabulous to be able to hear her, I have downloaded it for a chum of mine who is in his 80's , and totally besotted with Doris! he will be delighted! hearing her talk of her Movie careerI

Suddenly remembered this old movie of hers, Stewardess Julie Lands the Airliner after both pilots come down with food poisoning, they both had the Chicken Kiev, BIG mistake

[video=youtube;TXDfnvyn3q4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXDfnvyn3q4[/video]

Last edited:

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
doris-day-recording.jpg

Recording artist and film star Doris Day -- whose career goes back to the '40s gave a rare interview with Jonathan Schwartz in a an hour long interview yesterday. It was terrific with Miss Day, now 88, sounding wonderful.

Go to http://culture.wnyc.org/articles/features/2010/oct/30/celebrating-hollywood-legend-doris-day/

Thoughts?

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I didn't realize she was still alive. I'm not real big on most of her songs, but some of them do make it high up on my list of favorites. She had a really amazing voice.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
You can hear the entire interview if you go to the top of the page~
http://culture.wnyc.org/articles/features/2010/oct/30/celebrating-hollywood-legend-doris-day/

What amazes me is that there are currently 87 comments about her over at that site. It must be gratifying to Miss Day that she has so many fans that still admire her. What bugs me is that the folks that determine the inductees of The Kennedy Center Honors continue to ignore her. I wonder what obscure artists will be honored this year?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I heard the interview last Saturday and enjoyed it immensely. She was a little bit of a rambling octagenarian, but it was all just fine.
It's so interesting to me. When I was a teenager in the early 60's, everyone made fun of her goody goody image and schmaltzy style of singing. After I discovered her work as a big band singer in the 40's with Les Brown's band, I totally fell in love with her, and enjoy every song I've ever heard her sing. Shows to go you.
She definitely doesn't get the respect she deserves.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Re: "No mention". I don't think it was decided, I just don't think she got around to it. It's well known that she liked Rock Hudson very much and stood up with him during his much publicized death from AIDS. I wasn't aware of any Thelma Ritter issues. I think he just let her talk about whatever she felt like talking about. But you can certainly tell there's a lot below the surface that doesn't come out. She doesn't seem reluctant to take swipes at her husband, Marty Meltzer, who screwed her out of her fortune with incompetent and dishonest management of her affairs. But clearly her son, Terry, was a total prince. Such a a tragedy he died young, without kids. I want to hear more about her big band days with Les Brown. She was a KID when she was with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner