Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double-breasted blazer; from The Aviator to Gatsby

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hemingway Jones said:
I chose a cashmere and wool blend, which is hardly vintage, but luxorious and comfortbale for me.

Actually, cashmere/wool blends were used in vintage suits as far back as the end of the 1800s. Vicuna blends were also used. At a vintage clothing show, I once saw a shantung silk/linen blend men's 3-piece suit (champagne color) from 1906. Suit fabrics have been made in an array of blends for a long time.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Actually, cashmere/wool blends were used in vintage suits as far back as the end of the 1800s. Vicuna blends were also used. At a vintage clothing show, I once saw a shantung silk/linen blend men's 3-piece suit (champagne color) from 1906. Suit fabrics have been made in an array of blends for a long time.
Wow, Marc! What would I do without you? ;) :)

Matei thanks for your comments! -Much appreciated.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:

Indeed, Charles dresses well. Always has a tiny tie knot. All that fiddling, no doubt. He also has a habit of checking and rechecking his cuff links. And touching his ears. bk

Well, he can hardly miss those ears, can he?lol

Hemingway, my congratulations on a fine purchase and putting together a look that sums up the style of a gentleman for the summer months.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Benny Holiday said:
Hemingway, my congratulations on a fine purchase and putting together a look that sums up the style of a gentleman for the summer months.
Thanks, Benny! You're a good man for saying so.
If summer ever comes to Boston, that's how I'll dress. ;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Gold-colored buttons (even those with enamelled details, such as army or navy crests) look fine on a blazer. It wasn't just Thurston Howell III who wore them. Errol Flynn and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. did too.

42_1_b.jpg

Adam_H

New in Town
It aint a 'blazer' without metal buttons.

Nice, Hem.
I have a navy serge just like it which I emblazoned with some antique French military brass buttons.
No classier look for this time of year.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It aint a 'blazer' without metal buttons.

If you wanna get technical- in tradition, a Blazer is a single breasted, notch-lapel jacket with a sports, school or club stripe or crest.
1930s Public School Sports Club style.

OR- what is commonly known as a blazer today is a double breasted sport coat with brass buttons, in a Naval style. It seems the term; 'Blazer' has mutiple, verifiable meanings- from the 'Emblazoned', or Blazing Red and muticoloured jackets of the Sporting Clubs and also, the Captain of HMS Blazer, who adopted the DB Reefer style jacket for himself and his men for a visit with Queen Victoria.

It seems that most think of it as a (Navy)Double Breasted jacket worn as a seperate.

Just some Sunday nonsense-

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic