Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double-breasted blazer; from The Aviator to Gatsby

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Great look, Hemingway! Kudos to finding a double-breasted blazer at all in this day and age. And from Burberry, too! The look is great, but where are the bowties you always wear??? I'd like to see you wearing one of those with the outfit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, BellyTank- I remember reading that traditionally blazers are double breasted with the crest patch.

Anyway, last year I bought a 50's navy flannel jacket from American Vintage Classics that I like to wear with a pair of linen pants. It has a 4x1 button configuration, which I normally wouldn't go for but worked for this jacket. Here's a picture of it after my dad's birthday party in October. I've had the sleeves shortened a little bit since this picture.
DSC00687.jpg

Trying to be Derek Zoolander wearing same outfit in Bangkok, Thailand in March-http://katzenberg.multiply.com/photos/photo/29/1

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Ghos7a55assin said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, BellyTank- I remember reading that traditionally blazers are double breasted with the crest patch.

[/IMG]

No correction here but to reiterate- the old English Public School and University jackets, SB with broad vertical stripes- they were called Blazers.

The meaning seems to be two-fold from around the 1st quarter of the 20thC-

1)Striped SBs and 2)Naval Reefer style DBs- and the origin of the terms- Blazing colours/emblazoned and HMS Blazer, respectively.

B
T

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Ghos7a55assin said:
Anyway, last year I bought a 50's navy flannel jacket from American Vintage Classics that I like to wear with a pair of linen pants. It has a 4x1 button configuration, which I normally wouldn't go for but worked for this jacket. Here's a picture of it after my dad's birthday party in October. I've had the sleeves shortened a little bit since this picture.

I actually think that 4x1 jacket looks great on you. You should look out for more 4-button double-breasteds in the futured.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jml90 said:
You didn't care that I was here
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Perhaps I should restate, 'pleasantly surprised to see you here Tomasso, but not in a way that lessens my pleasure in seeing everyone else here, too.' :whistling

jml90

One of the Regulars
I post with you of SF and AAAC but you don;t care!! It's never good enough for you :cry:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The saddles are straight up J. Crew. Very comfortable, I might add.

Ghos7, that is a great look! Very stylish.

As for the bowties, I always think of them as a summer look, so it wasn't quite warm enough for them. Now it is. :)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jml90 said:
I post with you of SF and AAAC but you don;t care!! It's never good enough for you :cry:

jml90, although I get the feeling you're pulling my leg about being upset, my recognition of Tomasso was certainly not meant as a slight on anyone else, including you. Tomasso is a newer member here than you are (at least by number of posts) and he and I have recently exchanged PMs over at SF. I am always glad to see fellow posters from the other boards. If I have caused offense, my sincere apologies.

jml90

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:
jml90, although I get the feeling you're pulling my leg about being upset, my recognition of Tomasso was certainly not meant as a slight on anyone else, including you. Tomasso is a newer member here than you are (at least by number of posts) and he and I have recently exchanged PMs over at SF. I am always glad to see fellow posters from the other boards. If I have caused offense, my sincere apologies.
I was joking

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
AlanC said:
Nice to see you here Tomasso.

Here's one of me in a DB blazer with silk knit tie:

Always good to see you AlanC. I think that one of you newest vintage pocket square acquisitions would look spiffy with your DB blazer.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Great look Hemmingway

You look really sharp in that outfit. I don't own a blazer myself, was forced to wear them in my early banking days as part of a uniform, and since then haven't worn one. Might have to rethink that ....

You look like a proper english gent about to go to the regatta!

In my opinion keep the buttons.....

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
3PieceSuitGuy said:
You look really sharp in that outfit. I don't own a blazer myself, was forced to wear them in my early banking days as part of a uniform, and since then haven't worn one. Might have to rethink that ....

You look like a proper english gent about to go to the regatta!

In my opinion keep the buttons.....
Thanks for your kind words, 3Piece. Don't worry, the buttons are staying. ;)

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
A touch of class...

Hemingway Jones

I always enjoy your posts. I guess what I like about you is that you are always
Humble.

"Near the ground; not high or lofty; not pretentious or magnificent; unpretending; unassuming."

I see that in the way you dress and the way you write your posts.:eusa_clap

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
SHARPETOYS said:
Hemingway Jones

Humble.

"Near the ground; not high or lofty; not pretentious or magnificent; unpretending; unassuming."

I see that in the way you dress and the way you write your posts.
:eusa_clap

How can you say that?
He's always on the roof!
Not near the ground at all!

He's not pretentious but he could be magnificent.:)

I enjoy your 'articles' too Hemingway, so that's at least two of us-

B
T

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SHARPETOYS said:
Hemingway Jones

Humble.

I see that in the way you dress and the way you write your posts.:eusa_clap
Sharpey, Thank you so much. I sincerely appreciate your high appraisal of my character. I'll strive to be worthy.
You are a good friend. ;) :)

BellyTank said:
How can you say that?
He's always on the roof!
Not near the ground at all!

He's not pretentious but he could be magnificent.:)

I enjoy your 'articles' too Hemingway, so that's at least two of us-

B
T
Thank you, BT, you are a good man. I'll do my best to measure up to the high marks of character you set. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24