Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Double" Tie Clips

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I have two tie clips that have an "extra" clip on the inside, a thin, curved clip that further compresses the tie to the shirt. They're the best ones I own, and pretty much the only ones I wear, as the sort of tie clips I usually find in department stores are never tight enough to stay in place and always end up askew. I got both of these clips many years ago at a Burlington Coat Factory in Tulsa, OK; but ever since this sort of clip has proven impossible to find. Is there a name for this sort of clip/this particular feature? Is there any history to them? Most importantly, where can I find more?

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Okie doke, hopefully now I can get some information:

100_0246.jpg

100_0248.jpg

100_0250.jpg

The "bent" metal strip in the middle (best visible in the latter two photos) is the feature I'm specifically looking for; any ideas on where I can snag more of these?

habberdasher

A-List Customer
I wouldn't know, but that's pretty nifty. Try thinking of different words that could describe it, or maybe it was a standard feature back then, so only search for "vintage" tie clips.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I've checked out some vintage ones, and all of those I've come across have "teeth" as opposed to the second clip inside. Many modern ones have these as well, although the vintage ones seem to be more pronounced and sharp looking. I'm not sure if this feature is simply very popular, thus resulting in there being a lack of "double" vintage clips on the market, or if it is a more modern creation. They're certainly not impossible to find on newer clips-- both of mine were brand-new purchases-- just a bit more difficult.

Of course, if anyone has any recommendations on "standard" tie clips so that they don't shift around, that'd be welcome as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy