Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Downton Abbey - I'm hooked

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I saw an article in the Washington post, so I looked it up. I am up to episode 4. I love it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
They're describing it as the warm up act for the new Upstairs Downstairs series. I believe the new USDS will be a continuation of the lives of the characters into the next couple of decades. Can't wait for that, either.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
They're describing it as the warm up act for the new Upstairs Downstairs series. I believe the new USDS will be a continuation of the lives of the characters into the next couple of decades. Can't wait for that, either.

Did you see the three episodes of Upstairs Downstairs from December?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Downton Abbey is a winner!

I caught the tail end of the premiere episode on Sunday evening and immediately went searching for it online only to end up watching the first three episodes that night. I finished the rest off by Tuesday. I couldn't stop; it was like crack. :eek:

I am somewhat surprised that none of our UK members made mention of DA as the series was met with critical acclaim as well as high ratings on its maiden run in the UK last Fall. BTW, it's produced by the people who brought you 'Jeeves and Wooster' and 'Poirot' among others.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Well, that took up a lot of my time for a couple days. I finished the series. I can't wait for the next one to start.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I don't know anyone who *didn't* watch it - maybe we just discussed it too much over on FB ;)

They apparently cut some of the inheritance story out for the US market, seems pointless as not many Brits would know the ins and outs of it all these days anyway!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I did't mean to watch Downton Abbey at all as the Edwardian era isn't really me, but after one episode I too was hooked. The cast is excellent, especially Maggie Smith, and the costumes were gorgeous!

Upstairs Downstairs looked beautiful, but I felt a little let down by the rather shallow plotlines. I shall, of course watch them both when they return.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
I'm hooked. We accidentally caught the first episode by channel surfing. I was slightly disappointed to find that it's not a self-contained story, but part of a series. Split series annoy me, I'd rather watch all the episodes at one go.

I've since found the broadcast schedule and will watch as able. They're repeating each episode quite often, so I may watch each one twice, there's something about a British accent that takes me a while to understand.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I caught episode 2 last night. I've been reading more about how and why they cut the original. Seems PBS didn't think we Americans could keep up with the issues of the entail, upon which the whole story hinges. This really irks me. Apparently the new heir doesn't even appear till the second episode in the original.
Anyone who is familiar with British mysteries should be well aware what entails are. People bump each other off left and right in Miss Marple stories over entails.
I hope the original becomes available on DVD some time, or that maybe PBS in their infinite wisdom will give us the whole thing when they (inevitably) rerun the series.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I've watched only the first episode (of the original version, not the PBS-butchered one), and I'm following the notion of the entail well enough. It's new to me, but it's not that hard to grasp.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm enjoying it, I think it is well-done all around. I also like the focus on the servants and their relationships with each other and the lord's family (being descended from people who were servants contemporary to the time the film portrays is fascinating to me- although my family is not English).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I hope the original becomes available on DVD some time, or that maybe PBS in their infinite wisdom will give us the whole thing when they (inevitably) rerun the series.
The entire first season, as shown on ITV, is available online right now.[huh]

Marla

A-List Customer
Anyone else notice that the side story about the flower show in Episode 3 is an exact copy of the one in Mrs. Miniver (1942)?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
According to Wiki:

On PBS the program was broadcast in four 90-minute episodes, requiring PBS to alter the beginning and endpoints of each episode with minimal editing.

I actually saw the series on the DVD set, which uses the same configuration as the British broadcast, minus commericals. That's seven episodes, all the but the first running around 50 minutes.

Either way, it's an outstanding series, and I'm anxiously awaiting PBS showing the second season next month!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy