Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dr. Michael Savage

Steve

Practically Family
I was just wondering if anyone else on here listens to Savage's radio show. I've found him to be the most independant-thinking man in talk radio. I finished his book Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder recently, and thought it made some excellent points as to the state of the US. Please no one take personal offense to that title, as I am not sure of what anyone's politics are on here.

lenj

New in Town
Michael Savage

Hi Steve,

I listen off and on - he is a bright observer and I find him entertaining, amusing, and often thought provoking.
I personally find him best in small doses because, being a bit more of a laid back west coast guy, I find that kind of east coast in-your-face kind of delivery a bit much sometimes.

lenj

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
He is about as right as you can get...

He was on 560 KSFO our conservative right wing station. Then he went to 910AM I believe....but I have lost track of him in the Bay Area. He is really an arrogant "in your face" kind of guy. Good thinker, and most of his points are in line with how conservatives feel things should be. But sometimes he is really over the top...the "kill them all" kind of thinking.

They used to say the rightest station on the left of your dial.

Steve

Practically Family
Yeah, he is over the top, but that's one reason I like him. Another thing I appreciate about his show is that he doesn't always stick to politics; his anecdotal stories are pretty good.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Add inventor to that too

Michael Weiner (Savage) spent many years in the research field. Rock Star energy drink is marketed by his son Russ. On the web site Russ credits Dr. Weiner and his mother with developing the ingredients in Rock Star. Savage never mentions this; he gives all the credit to his son. Which he is rightfully proud. I don't beleive there is such a thing as "hate" radio. Someone could say Air America is "hate" radio. But, I never heard Savage say; let's go out and have a lynching. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you have to hate the other person. Reasonable and enlightened people can disagree and still respect each other.:cheers1:

shamus

Suspended
I never said Air America wasn't "Hate" radio. It is. They're both "hate" radio. I can't stand either.

What's the draw? Why do you listen?

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I agree with Shamus on this. It seems the only reasons people listen to hate radio, be it to Al Franken or Michael Weiner/Savage, are to nurture the hate they already possess and to erase any doubts that their hatred is justified. As a reliable source of news/information stations that air this sort of medicine are somewhat suspect.

Steve

Practically Family
MudInYerEye said:
I agree with Shamus on this. It seems the only reasons people listen to hate radio, be it to Al Franken or Michael Weiner/Savage, are to nurture the hate they already possess and to erase any doubts that their hatred is justified. As a reliable source of news/information stations that air this sort of medicine are somewhat suspect.
As angry as Savage can get, what he and Limbaugh, Hannity, Reagan, and the others in their field do is simply analyze current events as they see them; never requiring anyone to listen.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Why label it "hate"?

Why do we have to label this type of radio "hate"? Like I said ,I never heard Savage, Hannity, Franken or that guy from Fargo; ??? Schultz? say let's go burn some buildings, or where's the highest tree? I put Franken on the radio and listened, I don't agree, but that aside he was boring, Schultz attempts to tell a joke, has good dialogue but is not too entertaining. Schultz fakes his laughs. Rush is a hypocrite. Hannity is ok for 30 minutes and I'm through. Savage is funny, he goes over board, that's why I listen, I never know what's going to come out of his mouth. He'll be talking and all of sudden he starts with "that yenta from Sheep's Head Bay", or "in my day she'd be running a brazeer store in lower Queens" or Senator Chuck Schmoozer from Brooklyn, or "I guess Madeline Half-bright will never invite me over to taste her brisque". It's funny! Yeah, I agree with what he says, but the draw is he's funny. If I listen to Stern, I don't agree with his politics, he's a wack job, but, he does interview good, and at times is entertaining. The "draw" to talk radio whether Savage, Stern or Franken (zzzzzzzzzzz) is that it is entertaining. It beats listening to the same old Lionel Ritchie songs, or Born to Be Wild for the 100,000th time this year.:cheers1:

shamus

Suspended
"Hate" radio doesn't mean "Death" radio. Why would you associate the word hate with death? I hate lima beans but I'm not out with a weed wacker killing every last lima bean plant up nor I tell other they should kill lima bean plants.

"Hate" radio has basically one agenda. Put-down, discredit, and talk in a non-loving (ie: hate) way of one side or anyone associated with that side, all the while talking up their "side" and people associated on their merits and their greatness.

Howard Stern is not "Hate" radio. He is talk radio. There is a difference.

And for those sick of hearing the same songs.. perhaps an Ipod should be in your future...

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
That might be what you call it....

....but that is not what they call themselves, nor do I and most others refer to them that way.

With all due respect, you just did what you accuse them of. You put them down and tried to pin a label on them to discredit them.

They preach politics...some to the left, some to the right. Savage might merit "hate", but for most them....I think "passion radio" might be a more appropriate term. Actually "emotionally involved politics radio" is longer and less catchy...but accuarate.

shamus

Suspended
Passion Radio

MK said:
....but that is not what they call themselves, nor do I and most others refer to them that way.

With all due respect, you just did what you accuse them of. You put them down and tried to pin a label on them to discredit them.

They preach politics...some to the left, some to the right. Savage might merit "hate", but for most them....I think "passion radio" might be a more appropriate term. Actually "emotionally involved politics radio" is longer and less catchy...but accuarate.

You're right, I doubt they call themselves "Hate Radio" But then again, I don't think the Klan calls what do as "Hate Crimes" either....

The difference between what "Passion Radio" does and what I posted, was I didn't advocate another radio choice nor did I do personal attacks on the radio hosts. I was explaining my choice of words to describe the genre of radio.

If I "labeled" them as "Talk Radio" then some might be upset when they tuned in to find out it wasn't what they were thinking...

Much as if I labeled the film "Heavy Metal" as a "Animated Film" which it is, but it's not the same genre of an animated film as say, "The Care Bear Movie" is it.

Bebop

Practically Family
When I first heard this character I was sure it was a joke. Savage seems to be educated but very misinformed on social issues. His point of view on most things is so crazy and unrealistic that it seems just as crazy to argue it. He has to be playing to the audience by yelling and patting himself on the back about his poitical predictions that he misreads and bends in order to make it seem like "he told you that would happen". I am always amazed at how people take guys like this serioulsly. He is there to get you excited and keep you listening in order to push sponsor product but everyone is quiet sure that he is some kind of know all leader. He is entertaining like any intelligent drunk would be. To take him seriously would be as whacky as taking Howard Stern seriously. There is another idol without reason. So he is funny and outspoken. He was the first but so what? Al Franken is a comic with an extreme point of view. Take him seriously? HE IS A COMIC!:rolleyes: I like to listen to all but to see them as more than some goofy guys that got lucky is beyond me. I see them as monkeys dancing for me. I think people like to be told what to think. It is easier than thinking on your own. I ran into Michael Savage at a Bed Bath and Beyond in Sausalito a few years ago and once he caught on that someone knew who he was, he started putting on an embarassing, loud mouth show with his lady friend. I felt sorry for her. She looked like she wanted to hide behind the shower curtains.
These guys have no one that is really allowed to stand up to their beliefs. You can call their shows to tell your point of view but you will not be able to make it because they won't allow themselves to look bad. When is the last time you heard a talk show host say, "you are correct. I think you may make me look at another point of view". Having a point of view that does not bend is one of the requierments for having a radio talk show. In the 80's there was the psychologist talk shows that were the rage. Whomever called them and followed their lead got a raw deal and the same with all the talk shows of today. Hate radio, shock radio, it is all just meant to sell product and get advertisers to buy air time. So don't take all the hate or shock too seriously.

Savage is over the top, but it is his style to be entertaining. He can coul up with some good points but his "if I was Dictator for a Day" rants are just that. They are the " I am as mad as hell. and i am not going to take it anymore" routine.

He can be funny or serious but also poinient.

I enjoy Dennis Praeger, if you can find him, he doesn't rant a lot and like to dissect things to get to the heart of the matter. And reasonable, if you make a good point that is counter that is intellectually sound he will give you a gold star.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24