• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Indiana Jones' origins: An interview with costume designer Deborah Landis

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Sloan1874, Sep 19, 2013.

1. It's old news, but Heston didn't wear a fedora in the Incas movie, it was an Aussie digger's hat....

2. DougC

DougC Practically Family

That was a great read, but, I don't believe a word. 1941 a flop? Seriously! That is one funny movie.

3. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

The film cost 35 million dollars to make and brought back a domestic gross of 31 million, failing to even break even. If that's not the definition of a flop, I don't know what is. [huh] That's not to say it's an awful movie - I think retrospectively its rep has had a bit of a rehabilitation - though it's a long time since I've seen it.

4. winterland1

winterland1 Practically Family

5. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I remember it coming out at the cinema and how it sank. Had some funny scenes but was terribly disorganized and chaotic like that other Belushi classic The Blues Brothers.

6. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Best Belushi movie was Animal House.

7. 1961MJS

1961MJS Call Me a Cab

Hi

When they count profitability of a movie, when do they "quit"? I mean, The Wizard of Oz is still selling copies and I think that that last actress / actor / film worker died a decade ago??

Just curious.

I do agree that spending 35 million to get 31 million would define a flop.

8. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage Call Me a Cab

Although the jacket below isn't an Indy jacket, it was used in an action film and was aged for the film. It looked almost new on screen, but had obviously been given the not-so-gentle aging process which Landis talks about.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

All the principle actors are gone, but, Caren Marsh-Doll, the stunt double for Judy Garland is still alive, as are two of the Munchkins! I do not know if any of the flying monkeys are still with us.

10. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I spoke to a person who knows about box office sales and suchlike, and she said that it rolls on for as long the film is being shown, but generally the vast majority of box office is during the initial cinematic run.

11. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

That's right because box office takings are how the Studio bosses know if the film is a success - does it make their money back with profit right away. A film that becomes a classic later is generally a failure as far as the producers are concerned.

12. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Exactly, so a classic can easily be a flop when it first comes out. ie Withnail & I

13. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Good call, Sloan. I saw Withnail when it came out. A film which gradually became a hit and then a cult classic.

14. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

15. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Like, Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes? :D

16. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Perhaps more like The Blob.:D