Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dream hat!

Wild Root

Gone Home
AAAAHHHHH! Take a look at what will be on my head by say, in a week! This vintage N.O.S Stetson from the 20's or early 30's I just won off of ebay! Take a look friends and tell me what you think.

Root.

P1120081.JPG
P1040078.JPG
P1040079.JPG
P1040081.JPG
P1040082.JPG
P1040083.JPG

Wild Root

Gone Home
All in do time my friend! I'll take some photos of me with it on soon as it is in my hands!

It said on the auction that it is a light felt. So, it should feel nice. I do wear a 7 1/4, but I have some 7 1/8 that fit well. If it fits a bit tight, I'll have it stretched out a bit. Not much, just a bit.

I have wanted a light colored fedora from the 20's or 30's for so long! And the fact that it's a raw brushed felt is even better! I love the big tall crown, the thick black bow and ribbon! Just too cool for school! This is the hat that you see in all the early 30's films that you wish you could find! Well, I found one!

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I have more news! I am also waiting for this little ditty to show up as well! I would mention the price but some might scream at me because I got it for way cheap!

Any way, here's a photo of it, a nice brown 40's Knox with it's original box as well.

I'm not real sure of the age of hat, I believe it's early 40's but could be late 30's. Don't know for sure. Don't know much about Knox hats.

Any way, I'll be giving you all the heads up when these two show up at my door.

Root.

15_1_b.JPG

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Will the brushed felt feel something akin to cashmere or angora? Looks like a super soft sweater, you know?

When were liners always put in hats? That is, is it typical of this age of hat to not have a liner in it?

Looks great, Root. Hey, this is the wrong forum, but did you say you had some suspenders that you could fix me up with or was it a tie or two? I believe the discussion was around when I bought Zohar's 1940 DB that he picked up but didn't fit him. We also talked shoes (as we're both 12D, I believe). Sound familiar?

Sorry to take a different curve with the thread. That's a fine hat, the gray one. I mean the Knox is great, too. The gray is just a bit more unique. Enjoy when they come.

Cab

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
You certainly scored big time on that tall, cool Stetson. And the brown Knox looks to be a great hat, too.

I love the soft fuzzy look and especially the color of that Stetson. Yes, we want to see photos of you in the hats.

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
(Cabinetman)

Yes, I do remember something to that effect. PM me and we'll talk over the deal.

I'm glad you all find my new hat a nice one. As for liners, I feel that this was a lower end model that Stetson offered in the 30's. It could have been made in the first year of the Great Depression. Hatters started to try and cut corners so they could stay in biz. I have seen liners in Top hats and Bowlers as early as 1880. So, I think this Stetson is a Depression item. A rare survivor which managed to last in perfect condition for 80 years!

As for the felt content, I believe it's Beaver. A long hair finish that was popular in the 30's and 40's. I have handled hats like this and they are soft! Not as soft as it may look, but soft.

I'll be posting more about it when it comes!

Root.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Stetson

The gray hat is rather, ummmm, fuzzy. Looks to be a very light weight summer hat, evidenced by the lack of a liner, and the sticker on the inside (meaning no one ripped out the liner on a previous renovation).

Sure it's not wool?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, it is fuzzy! That's the way it's supposed to be! And, I'm almost sure it's not wool. This was a raw finish that I have seen in movies from the 30's. I know a guy who has a few hats that are made the same way and they are not wool. I don't think Stetson made wool hats. Not sure on that one. If you look at the photos, you'll see it hasn't been tampered with. Just look at that sweat band! It's so fresh it's crazy. You don't see many hats' with this kind of felt that are in good shape. It may not be for every one, but I like variety.

Summer hat eh? Well, it could be, but to me summer hats were straw boaters and Panamas. The felt looks like a light weight felt, but looks can deceive.
One thing that tips me off to it being a lower end model is the fact that it says "Standard Quality" right above the logo. Like I said, in the first few years of the Depression, companies had to do what ever they could to save money to stay afloat. Many companies went broke because they didn't want to sacrifice some quality for extra cash. The Atwater Kent radio company died because of this. But, this is just a good guess to why there isn't a liner.

I'll have a better feel of the hat when it arrives. Till then, its guess work. One thing for sure, it's early! Early 30's at the latest! May be pre Depression.

Root.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Hey Root, after all those great photos you show me, this cheap fuzzy rabbit hat is your dream hat! Brother! Too fuzzy for the summer, whether or not it is thin felt.

The brown hat looks to be a good steal though especially since you got it cheap.

Enjoy though!
G

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cheap rabbit fur hat? Who cares? Obviously you don’t understand what this hat really is. This long hair finish isn’t very easy to find. It’s rare and that makes it desirable to me. I have seen hats just like this in films from the late 20’s to the early 30’s and I have wanted a tall crowned hat that has that famous James Cagney profile. Truthfully, I couldn’t give a rat’s ace to the content of the felt on most vintage hats. Even vintage wool hats still beat the pants off of the wool hats made to day.

I want this hat because it has the look of the early 30’s! It’s a rare survivor of the Depression and that’s what I’m after. You don’t have to see it my way, but please do have an open mind about it.

Before you lose faith in my vintage taste, you your self have mentioned that you’re not a period dresser like some of us are. So, for you to understand the intent I have, you’ll be scratching your head for a wile over this.

Have fun.

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, it came! And it's,.. it's.... COOL! Fits ok, may stretch it just a tad but other then that, it's a really early piece. This thing is dead stock for sure! The leather is soft as a baby's bum! It's like new. The felt I believe is Rabbit like gcollins said. I see that this was Stetson's lower end model, but it's still cool to have a hat that a John Doe would have worn. Totolay Depression eara! It's a fuzzy, and I love it! The box it really cool as well.

Any way,I'll get some photos up soon!

Root.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
Cheap rabbit fur hat? Who cares? Obviously you don’t understand what this hat really is. This long hair finish isn’t very easy to find. It’s rare and that makes it desirable to me. I have seen hats just like this in films from the late 20’s to the early 30’s and I have wanted a tall crowned hat that has that famous James Cagney profile. Truthfully, I couldn’t give a rat’s ace to the content of the felt on most vintage hats. Even vintage wool hats still beat the pants off of the wool hats made to day.

I want this hat because it has the look of the early 30’s! It’s a rare survivor of the Depression and that’s what I’m after. You don’t have to see it my way, but please do have an open mind about it.

Before you lose faith in my vintage taste, you your self have mentioned that you’re not a period dresser like some of us are. So, for you to understand the intent I have, you’ll be scratching your head for a wile over this.

Have fun.

Root.

Okay Root, you're on! I am indeed not a period dresser as you mentioned. My deficiency I'm working on. So you get a lot of leeway and respect from an amateur like me.

And if it works for you, all the best!...but show me one of those great pics of yours with you wearing that fine hairy brim and educate me. I do have confidence that you might get cast a role in the upcoming Bugs Bunny film as the leading character eating a nice carrot stick!

But I'm just learning to like an unshaved beaver...er rabbit..so patience is required :)

G

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root -- Sounds like you got something you really wanted and that the hat is cool for you. Congratulations! Yes, we want to see photos.

Did you receive the Knox hat yet? We want to know about it, too.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy