Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dream hat!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
It is made by Caxton Society Club New York
13_1_b.JPG

3f_1_b.JPG

Apparently it was originally bought in a store called Rexhats, a hat store in New Orleans.

MDFrench

A-List Customer
When you say you are going to wear an 80 year old hat preserved all that time in perfect condition - exactly how are you going to wear it - meaning, under what conditions? I would think that a find like that would warrant some special care.

Then again, this is coming from the guy who owns TWO mint condition Graflex flashguns because I couldn't bear to drill holes in either of them.

I guess I just have a soft spot for antiques that escaped the ravages of time.

Mike

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, you see when I wear a hat its most of the time when I'm dressed up in my best! When I'm going to a nice place to eat and I always remember to take it off in doors. I'll wear it to dances and take it off and make sure it's in a safe place wile it's off my head. I'm not one of those guys who will wear it wile dancing and sweat the crap out of it. I will not wear it in any kind of rain or weather. It stays mostly in the original box in my closet and just waits till I take it out for a nice simple evening with friends.

And to those who may say: Why then have the hat if you're afraid to wear it? To that I say: I have many hats that are reserved for daily beating and wear. I have dress hats, and I have daily hats. Simple as that.

That's how you keep a dead stock hat nice.

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I had you worried there MD? I don't only collect this old stuff, I preserve it so it will last long. I love my old stuff and treat it with the respect that it deserves.

Root.

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Yeah, I should have known that from the get go where you're concerned Root. Sometimes though old reflexes die hard, including panic. Ever since I saw that autobody guy take that perfectly preserved Model A windshield frame and start chopping it up last year to make a 50s era hotrod, I get jittery...

Antique appreciation shellshock, I guess.

Mike

Mycroft

One Too Many
Yea, it was preety scary, it reminds me of Jesse James taking a one of a kind racer and using it for a project on Monster Garage, a hot dog dragster. It was sheer pain to think what that guy can do with that dragster and now with Steve McQueen's Indian Motocycle.

Wild Root

Gone Home
You know, when I see most hot rods, I get a feeling that they started out as a rust bucket. And that these guys gave it a life to rusting away in a field. But, I see that does happen and also that they take a complete original stock car that is perfect in every way then turn it into a hot rod! I feel that is just a loss! There are plenty of cars that are rusting away in fields and barns that would be perfect for what they want to do.

I'm not a hot rod fan in any way shape or form. I do like Rat rods though. A Rat rod is a rusty car that has a vintage engine in it with wide white walls tires, and just the bare essentials. They are what one would call a 30's or 40's hot rod. Those are cool cuz they do use rusty cars from the start and give them life.

Ok, enough about the cars. This thread is about hats. I'll start a thread about hot rods in golden era.

Root.

32_Ford_Roadster_of_long_time_Idaho_rodder_Ray_Hale.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
False advertising is a b*tch...I just got the hat today and its a 7 1/4, which is about 2 sizes too big for me, and 3 sizes bigger than advertised in the auction. The hat itself is a beauty, but could use a steam and quick cleaning. The lining needs a cleaning. The sweatband was as stiff as cardboard. I had to Pecard the outside, and then after it loosened up, I pecarded the rough side. *sigh*

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I've acquired hats and cowboy boots off ebay that were, well, not in the the size or shape advertised. I am not sure it is false advertising as much as ignorance. That is why, even if they give a size, some wary customers ask for the dimensions.

With boots, it's even worse: they think it is a men's size 8 and it is a woman's. They advertise that it says size 8 and it does, but the boot is made in Mexico. They think it is a D width and it is a B. Ad nauseum.

I've gotten some absolutely wonderful boots and hats off the auction sites, but I have gotten many times things I just passed on to other people or re-sold.

Again, we need to ask for the dimensions no matter what the seller says it is.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy