Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress coats

This is the idea of the suit with an overcoat:
1945stetson-whippet.jpg

At least this is what I think of a correct overcoat for a suit. Charlie has got a nice overcoat that the dope with a ski jacket over his suit doesn't. :p

Regards,

J

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
They're used by vampires, superheroes, and polio-ridden U.S. presidents. I have no idea what they're used with.

==================== End of quote =====================

Sorry, I meant to say Opera Cloaks. Check Wikipedia for Opera Cloak.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sardou said:
In recent years I've noticed a fair number of besuited New Yorkers have swapped out their long coats for shooting jackets, Barbour jackets and similar.

It's an European "country" look that seemed to have migrated first to the Italian streets, then the world.

Racecar

New in Town
Grace said:
In these parts, I see many of otherwise well dressed people with a puffy columbia ski jacket over both day and evening attire. It just feels so wrong!

I have a Columbia ski jacket, but I would never, ever wear it over a suit. It simply is not appropriate. I would wear my trench coat or my wool/cashmere top coat.

When I see someone wearing a Columbia ski jacket or something similar, with a suit, I can't help but get the feeling that it is the only jacket that they own. I can't imagine that there is a single top coat or trench coat in their closet. If there is, why wouldn't they be wearing it?

Racecar said:
When I see someone wearing a Columbia ski jacket or something similar, with a suit, I can't help but get the feeling that it is the only jacket that they own. I can't imagine that there is a single top coat or trench coat in their closet. If there is, why wouldn't they be wearing it?

That is true, because the casual trend has continued for so long, many people don't have a clue as to what to wear when or what they should have as part of their wardrobe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy