Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shoes

moustache

Practically Family
Agreed!!

Tomasso said:
While maintaining the shape of the shoe is certainly the primary function of a tree, they also serve to add to the usefull life of the leather as acute creasing will lead to premature failure.

Whether cedar is the optimal wood for use in shoe trees is open to debate. I have both hardwood and cedar and they both seem to do their intended job with comparable success.

I don't think cedar would be best described as "moisture rejecting".
The properties of cedar.

I have been dealing with all types of cedar for almost 20 years and will attest that most do NOT absorb well due to oils in the fiber.I work in a building materials /lumberyard center.The Tennesseee aromatic versions do a bit better but will only absorb minimal amounts of moisture.Sweat contains salt as well and that is something difficult for cedar to absorb.
But all in all,they do keep the shape of the shoes and such.
The aromatic properties make them smell niceThats one reason why the aromatic cedars are used.Same with keeping the bugs away.

Jim in Vancouver,Wa

Molorom

Familiar Face
well,
I got a pair of alden cedar shoe trees in the mail today,
and after putting them in my shoes I can see how they
would really help.
Adam

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
moustache said:
I have been dealing with all types of cedar for almost 20 years and will attest that most do NOT absorb well due to oils in the fiber.I work in a building materials /lumberyard center.The Tennesseee aromatic versions do a bit better but will only absorb minimal amounts of moisture.Sweat contains salt as well and that is something difficult for cedar to absorb.
But all in all,they do keep the shape of the shoes and such.
The aromatic properties make them smell niceThats one reason why the aromatic cedars are used.Same with keeping the bugs away.

Jim in Vancouver,Wa
==================== End of quote =====================

If they keep the shape of the shoe and the bugs away, while the shoes simply air themselves, they've done their job.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn