Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shoes

moustache

Practically Family
I have read some of the posts regarding shoes with great interest.The Allen Edmonds shoes are very nice but pricey.I'm familiar with other brands as well.But a couple of pair caught my eye the other day and wanted to know if FL'ers had heard of them.A search on Google turned up nothing.
They are by Stamati Mastroianni.Very nice looking shoes and Italian made.Found them in my size at the local thrift shoppe.One pair in brown,the other black.Both almost mint.
StamatiMastroiannaibrown.jpg

SM2.jpg

SMB.jpg

Next to my other Nordstrom italian no names,they look fancy.
Nordstromitalians.jpg

Any ideas as to details about this company?? For what i paid,i couldn't buy laces for the Allens!!!

JD

moustache

Practically Family
Never have

Tomasso said:
A quick Google tuned up this article.

:eek:fftopic: Always use shoe trees.;)

I have never used shoe trees.In 35 years of having shoes.Now if i had spent $500 for a pair of shoes,then maybe.But why spend $$$ on trees when the shoes above only cost me $12??I'm on a shoestring budget and so i need to save where i can.

Thanks for the tip though.

And thanks for the article on SM. I did a Google search and came up with nothing at all except countless links to ebay.Hmmmm.

JD

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
moustache said:
But why spend $$$ on trees when the shoes above only cost me $12??I'm on a shoestring budget and so i need to save where i can.

I image that you can acquire shoe trees in the same manner in which you acquired your shoes.;)

moustache

Practically Family
One can hope.

Tomasso said:
I image that you can acquire shoe trees in the same manner in which you acquired your shoes.;)
Yet i have searched for them at the thrift shoppes in vain.Seems that the owners of said shoes don't want to part with above trees.
A disgrace isn't it??
The important part is the shoes however.

JD

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
:eek:fftopic: Always use shoe trees.;)

Echoing Tomasso's good advice, you really should pick up some shoe trees. Even if you are on a budget (hey, me, too!) the shoe trees will make your shoes last longer and look better. In other words, they'll save you money longterm. You can pick up relatively inexpensive shoe trees at places like TJMaxx and Marshall's, usually for about $10 a pair. At least pick up a pair or two to rotate into your most recently worn shoes.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Happy Stroller said:
==================== End of quote ==================

Is that last pair among the 4 pairs of shoes shown a toe-capped Blutcher?

Yes, the last shoe pictured is a cap-toe blucher.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I prefer the last pair pictured.

Always use cedar shoe trees, even if the shoes were free. Here's why:

Your shoes will hold their shape better and last longer. You needn't have a pair of cedar trees for every pair of shoes; you can rotate one pair of trees. The critical time to have them is in the first few hours after you take the shoes off. The trees absorb your perspiration, and allow the shoe leather to relax to their proper shape. otherwise, they remain sweat-dampened for hours, are far more prone to rotting, will shrink and look, well, like your shoes look. Rumpled.
Buying a good pair of shoes for $12 = very smart.
Making those $12 shoes last 20 years = VERY smart.

A decent pair of shoe trees is $20 or so. Worth every penny. If you got a car for $12, I bet you'd still change the oil...

That's why.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
moustache said:
Yet i have searched for them at the thrift shoppes in vain.Seems that the owners of said shoes don't want to part with above trees.
A disgrace isn't it??
The important part is the shoes however.

JD

If you have a Filene's Basement in your area, check there. I picked up some trees there just last week for $12 each.

moustache

Practically Family
Thanks

AlanC said:
Echoing Tomasso's good advice, you really should pick up some shoe trees. Even if you are on a budget (hey, me, too!) the shoe trees will make your shoes last longer and look better. In other words, they'll save you money longterm. You can pick up relatively inexpensive shoe trees at places like TJMaxx and Marshall's, usually for about $10 a pair. At least pick up a pair or two to rotate into your most recently worn shoes.

Now i had never thought of TJ Maxx or Marshalls for trees.Thanks for the suggestion.I will do so this week sometime.
And thanks to Tomasso's advice.I'm newer to the fine shoe department and am learning quite a lot.

As for the last photo ,they are an unnamed brand.The label says "Nordstrom-Italian line".Very nice shoes and they wear beautifully!!Not too bad for $5

The SM's pictured ran me a cool $5.99 per pair.

JD

Jay

Practically Family
scotrace said:
You needn't have a pair of cedar trees for every pair of shoes;

I should hope not! Two whole trees for just one set of shoes? ...Oh. Right. The other kind of trees. Oops.

Molorom

Familiar Face
Is there any evidence that Shoe trees actually help your shoes at all?
I mean, other than the then obvious, helping the shape, do they really do anything? How does cedar take moisture away from the shoes? Its uasualy known for its moisture rejecting properties. If I dont use them are my aldens going to fall to shreds in a few years?
Adam

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Molorom said:
I mean, other than the then obvious, helping the shape, do they really do anything? How does cedar take moisture away from the shoes? Its uasualy known for its moisture rejecting properties. If I dont use them are my aldens going to fall to shreds in a few years?
Adam

There has been considerable debate over cedar's moisture-absorbing properties on other fora, and I think a consensus is lacking. Some say it does, some say it's a bunch of rot. The primary benefit is in the trees' keeping the shoes' shape while they're drying, whether they actually help the drying process or not.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Molorom said:
I mean, other than the then obvious, helping the shape, do they really do anything?
While maintaining the shape of the shoe is certainly the primary function of a tree, they also serve to add to the usefull life of the leather as acute creasing will lead to premature failure.

Molorom said:
How does cedar take moisture away from the shoes? Its uasualy known for its moisture rejecting properties.
Whether cedar is the optimal wood for use in shoe trees is open to debate. I have both hardwood and cedar and they both seem to do their intended job with comparable success.

I don't think cedar would be best described as "moisture rejecting".
The properties of cedar.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Molorom said:
Adam
Keeping the shape is everything. A wet pair of shoes, even from perspiration, can deform. The cedar wood will absorb moisture rather than remaining impervious as metal and plastic does. The scent of cedar will also help to keep the shoes smelling fresh, and since cedar does not decay as some soft woods do, it will prevent mold and prevent the sweat from degrading the lining of your shoes.

After time, you should lightly sand your cedar shoe trees to keep them working well.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Shoe trees

I think vintage shoe trees are interesting in their own right. In the age of quality hand-made footware it was normal for a cordwainer to supply a pair of trees with a new pair of shoes or boots. Often they (the trees) are beautifully made and intricately engraved - all a part of the 'mystique' of expensive hand-made footwear. Whenever I find a pair of vintage trees in a charity shop I buy them. They are an investment and I don't think I've ever paid more than 5GBP for pair. Here's a photograph of a few I have (left to right) Post-war VicTrees, 1930s Bakelite , Pre-war Church's.

MVC-001F-1.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Alan Eardley said:
In the age of quality hand-made footware it was normal for a cordwainer to supply a pair of trees with a new pair of shoes or boots. Often they (the trees) are beautifully made and intricately engraved

And, they are made to the same specifications as the last from which the shoe was made from, so the shoe will retain its original form. John Lobb, among others, continues the practice today.

3pcringandhandletokey.jpg

Lost shoe trees

Well, I had a pair of cedar shoes trees until Max the Wunderdog got a hold of them and chewed them up like he was part beaver instead of Dachshund!:eusa_doh:

The deal would be with wood, if they are plain with out a finish or if they have a coating like varnish or polyurethane on them. if open they will absorb some moisture from the shoe if sealed no.

Leather is a live product and responds to the conditions heat cold moisture dry etc. A tree will keep the leather from shrinking more than if one is not used.

Cleaning, polishing and creaming shoe leather all helps with the condition of the shoe, too!

(It places the lotion in the basket!)

Happy feet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff