Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for silverbelly

The Lark

One of the Regulars
Okay, my Silverbelly VS is on the way so I've got to start planning my new wardrobe to match. :p

Now, I've read that some people prefer to contrast their silverbelly hats against a dark suit, but I think I'd rather go with complimentary colours. I've already got a dark charcoal suit and fedora, so now I want something light and Summery. However, you can't get silverbelly in suits, so I'm wondering what colour I should out that is a near approximation commonly found in pants/waistcoats/jackets.

Also, I'll need a coat because coats are always fantastic. It's too bad that most coats I see advertised have really boring cuts and boxy shapes to them. I want to find something with a really nice shape to it. Maybe this one - http://www.suitsmen.co.uk/mens-coats/317/

Thoughts?

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I have a silverbelly VS and it goes with almost everything. But it also depends upon the ribbon color. So what is it? Also, it'll be easier for us to tell once you post pics.

The Lark

One of the Regulars
Well, I basically told Art to clone this for me, minus the hole in the crown of course. :p

johnny-depp-white-coat-jeans-hat.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Lark said:
Well, I basically told Art to clone this for me, minus the hole in the crown of course. :p

johnny-depp-white-coat-jeans-hat.jpg
I say trial and error will tell you, because the style of the hat itself matters as much as the color. Some clothes will fall in with it, others not. For example, the most common silverbelly is the Stetson Open Road, and the Campdraft. Because both of those are rather working man's hats, or counry hats, I wouldn't wear one myself with a suit. That Johnny Depp hat though goes with suits. But the whole ensemble thing is so specific, that I try many combinations out in the mirror, sometimes several times, before going outside in it. Sometimes you won't even know until you've worn it out on the street, whether it's a combination you want to go with.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
hatophile said:
Can't wait to see this one finished Lark, but ya gotta admit, that little hole gives it some character.
All it takes is a .38 caliber revolver and a tree stump to hold the hat during the process. :D

The Lark

One of the Regulars
Alas, my desire for authenticity only goes so far.

Mr Depp's version didn't always have a hole. I've seen footage where it is (relatively) new and pristine, but I'm guessing that years of lifting it from the crown eventually tore the material.

achi11es

New in Town
I had Art make me the exact same hat last year. I tend to wear it with a variety of colours, and it seems to works well. From tweed to brown corduroy jackets, jeans etc. Quite a versatile hat.

fawcett.jpg

Not a very good picture, but will get a better one up. You'll love yours.

Zee.

achi11es said:
I had Art make me the exact same hat last year. I tend to wear it with a variety of colours, and it seems to works well. From tweed to brown corduroy jackets, jeans etc. Quite a versatile hat.

fawcett.jpg

Not a very good picture, but will get a better one up. You'll love yours.

Zee.

Nice one!

The Lark

One of the Regulars
Oh, fantastic!

Art mentioned that he had done this model for a few other customers and I was wondering if someone from the lounge could show me a close up.

It's funny how the ribbon and brim binding are silverbelly, yet look kind of gold. Totally smashing though. I really can't wait. Is that beaver?

achi11es

New in Town
Cheers Art. I got another hat idea that I think you'll have to make for me...I'll email the details.

Lark, you'll love it as Art has an eye for detail. Also...don't expect the hole anytime soon, this beast is very tough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran