Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing the Sportswoman

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Hi folks!

I'm calling out for inspiration for a new project, and was wondering if anyone had images of women's hunting and/or sporting jackets/ensembles from the 20s and 30s. I picked up the most delicious camel and black plaid fabric and it needs to be turned into a jacket, and I have a ton of tough sandy tan denim for trousers, skirts, etc. I need some design inspiration!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or not, but this picture was taken sometime between 1925 and 1930. Again, it is my great uncle and great aunt. They spent a lot of time doing "outdoors" things.

DSC01534.jpg

bingolittle

New in Town
from 'a river runs through it'.....'she wore the divided skirts of a horsewoman....'.........holland and holland (a division of chanel) carries a line of fine sporting clothing for women

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I don't know much about patterns and stuff, but perhaps some of the fox hunting or cubbing jackets are what you're looking for. I don't think that stuff has changed much in the last hundred years! Here's a few modern ones I saw:

http://www.foxhuntingshop.com/catalog/page59.html

They may be cut more for the parlor than the hunt. With your sewing skill, however, I'll bet you could adapt a pattern for one of these types of jackets to a more practical field garment, with a bi-swing back, and so forth. The boots and breeches suggested by Fletch are classics, of course. Your tougher fabric might may some durable, warm breeches, especially if you lined them with flannel.

There are a couple books that may also offer some inspiration: Grit Tempered and Breaking Ground. Both are about pioneering women in archaeology from the 20s through the 60s. I haven't seen them, but they must have some decent photos of the featured archaeologists, hopefully in a field environment.

Have you ever read the Amelia Peabody mystery series? If you haven't they are great reads. A lot of fun, and you can learn quite a bit about Egyptology, to boot. You might check out the non-fiction companion book to the series, Amelia Peabody's Egypt, which may also have some inspiration for period field clothing.

You might re-watch things like Out of Africa or The English Patient for some inspiration, too.

africa-195.jpg
Englishpatient.jpg

Hope this is helpful!

vonwotan

Practically Family
I don't have many images of women's sporting outfits from the period but I do have this one photograph of an Edwardian (a bit earlier) shooting party plus some notes I received when discussing a period event with a friend.

398160574_f665eda857.jpg

Women's League of Health and Beauty
In 1930 Prunella Stack started the Women's League Of Health And Beauty in Britain. The motto was 'Movement Is Life' and the League promoted the idea of a healthy mind and a healthy body. The League had thousands of members who put on huge displays in parks and other venues.

Physical fitness was seen as important in the stylish thirties and in various forms was popular across Europe especially in Germany and Austria. This resulted in some Tyrolean styles creeping into sportswear fashion which began to be more practical and actually allowed for movement. Skating skirts became shorter than ever before and in 1933 the Tennis star Alice Marble wore shorts at the Wimbledon season.

Hope this helps.

MissQueenie said:
Hi folks!

I'm calling out for inspiration for a new project, and was wondering if anyone had images of women's hunting and/or sporting jackets/ensembles from the 20s and 30s. I picked up the most delicious camel and black plaid fabric and it needs to be turned into a jacket, and I have a ton of tough sandy tan denim for trousers, skirts, etc. I need some design inspiration!

Daisy Buchanan

I don't know of any patterns either:( But, like Mr. Mojave, I was going to recommend watching "Out of Africa" and "The English Patient". They should at least give you some inspiration.
You always manage to look great in whatever you wear! Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

carebear

I've been reading some old books on hunting and shooting, circa 1920s and '30s. You might see if any are available at the library, they will often have pictures of "real people" (versus ad models) and may have ladies photos as well.

Going on safari or even just traveling was a big deal for the middle (upper middle) classes and most folks took photos and wrote about their experiences.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Carebear's comments reminded me of another movie starring Douglas Fairbanks Jr (can't remember the lead actress' name). It is called Safari and I think it was filmed in 1940 (?). Maybe not the greatest story but a good cast.

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
CIN00318_183.jpg

That is fantastic, Laughing Magpie.

You can pretty much use any type of jacket design you like. Id add a couple of things; yolk, back pleat, patch pockets, a belt, maybe a shorter sleeve...:rolleyes:

Mmmm, jackets....

LD

WH1

Practically Family
Check out katherine hepburns riding outfit in The Philadelphia Story and her golfing/tennis clothes in Pat & Mike or you get really crazy and go for the African Queen look.:rolleyes:

carebear

WH1 said:
Check out katherine hepburns riding outfit in The Philadelphia Story and her golfing/tennis clothes in Pat & Mike or you get really crazy and go for the African Queen look.:rolleyes:

Make sure you accessorize with only the quality African leaches. nothing is more gauche than showing up with a common American leech hanging off your leg. :eek:

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Lady Day :)

Tailored jackets are one of the final frontiers for me - at least as far as sewing goes! - those and gloves.

WH1

Practically Family
Story said:
There's always the functional look Kristy Swanson wore in THE PHANTOM
kristy-swanson-003.jpg

Yeah but it is tough to find purple long underwear and patent leather boots not to mention the radial engine biplane for accessories.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24