Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drink/cocktail mentiond in "Another Thin Man"

Levallois

Practically Family
Nick and Nora go to The West Indies Club (separately) and Nick orders a drink that sounds like "Bagady." I played it back several times. I did a search here and on Google on various spellings without success. Any idea of what he was ordering? Thanks!

John

Levallois

Practically Family
Geez, could this have been a weird pronunciation of Barcardi? I sure don't hear an R in there anywhere when he says it and the emphasis is on the BA not the CAR.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
For those want to check for themselves, try:

[YOUTUBE]li-t72izcPQ[/YOUTUBE]

Go to 4:26.

Could possibly be a Bacardi cocktail? Looks a little dark for it, unless it's the version made with grenadine.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
The subtitles on the DVD have them saying "Bacardi" but I've read subtitles for some classic films where they obviously didn't know what a word was, like "Nertz!"

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
"The "bacardi cocktail" and pronounced "bacARdi," common in New York and Europe, is unknown in Cuba. The proper pronunciation of the name "Bacardi" stressed the last syllable."

"WHEN IT'S COCKTAIL TIME IN CUBA" by Basil Woon, (1928)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24