Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duxford - thanks Paddy

matei

One Too Many
A big thanks to Paddy who arranged for my wife and I to attend the Duxford Flying Legends airshow this year. Paddy - you are a class act! We had a wonderful time, thanks again!

:eusa_clap

I'll post some pics soon - there are quite a few to go through!

The show itself was great, and the museum itself was also a treat. It was surreal to look up and see all those vintage airplanes zooming around.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mat, glad it turned out to be a great experience!

I always feel a certain amount of responsibilty for people when you send them off to something they haven't been to before (it's the same sort of responsibility you have when you hold a party and want everyone to enjoy themselves!!).
Glad you and that little lady of yours enjoyed yourselves. Did you meet any of the rest of the gang there?

Post pics when you can please. Glad to be of help my friend.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
Really want to see the pics... Someday I'll go... still putting together my Air corps kit.

I'll be UK way in January.

Nothing's flying then, but Duxford's not too far away. Nor is Shuttleworth, come to think of it. Then there's the de Havilland Museum, and the London RAF Museum, and the Science Museum's got a few, and...

Ahem. Sorry, got a bit carried away there.

We have aeroplanes. You can look at them if you want. :D

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll have to make it someday soon, too. I should attend dressed as my father - an engineer at Supermarine. ;) Although I'm now about 10 years older than he was then.

(and 10" taller, but who's counting?)

matei

One Too Many
Hey all,

I didn't get to meet up with anyone else there. If any present on Sunday saw a guy with a brown fedora and his wife gabbing together in Romanian - that was us! ;)

The Staggerwing was sweet, I wouldn't mind having one meself!

It was something else to see the Spitfires come roaring in formation, scant metres above the deck. It was like being transported back in time.

When I was but a wee lad I accompanied my grandfather to see "Fifi", at the time the last airworthy B-29. We were allowed to climb around inside as my grandad was a former Superfortress crewman, and they trusted him not to mess around. However, I was too young to fully appreciate it.

This was different - I'll not soon forget the sight of all those warbirds in the sky!

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
Thanks

I also have to thank Paddy, for a special thing. Everything ran fine, the letter was there in time ;) .

We also had a great time in Duxford. Every mile we rode to go there (nearly 1000 miles to the UK and back) and every Pound we spent was worth it. :eusa_clap

Our digi cams ran hot and we met many interresting people on the air field. Reenactors and veterans. Old people, which told about their youth, while V2 flew above their heads. Brittish and french folks as well - just outstanding.
Here are just a few pics that I want to share with yall.

Checking the B-17 and talked to the cround crew:
DSC02030Medium.jpg

DSC02030ddMedium.jpg

DSC02030bMedium.jpg

DSC02059Medium.jpg

DSC02060cMedium.jpg

DSC02069Medium.jpg

DSC02076Medium.jpg

To be continued...

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Zemke Fan said:
Looks like it was a marvelous time!

It certainly was, and you should have heard that big wing going overhead: it left me with a grin that took two days to fade!

I love the smell of 100 octane exhaust in the afternoon...

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]It certainly was, and you should have heard that big wing going overhead: it left me with a grin that took two days to fade!

I love the smell of 100 octane exhaust in the afternoon...[/QUOTE]

Hey Doc,

I am still grinning:D
It is caused not only by the smell. The moaning of Pink Lady as her engines started and she began to roll to the flight line was an other reason. :D

It wasn´t my last visit to Duxford...

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
J.B.Saxon said:
Hey Doc,

I am still grinning:D
It is caused not only by the smell. The moaning of the Sally B as her engines started and she began to roll to the flight line was an other reason. :D

It wasn´t my last visit to Duxford...

I know what you mean, J.B.: I was sitting down by the big line of Spitfires, and when they all kicked off it was something to hear. Just the thought of it brings the grin back. :D

Duxford and Shuttleworth are two of my favourite places on Earth.

matei

One Too Many
Better late than never...

Here are a few pics from the day!

An F6F that was also flown by US ace (of Romanian descent) Alex Vraciu

vraciu-f6f.jpg

The Staggerwing - a beautiful plane, and my dream machine should I ever strike it rich:

staggerwing.jpg

Me and one of my fave planes - the venerable MiG-21 (this one is from Hungary)

mateisimig.jpg

The MiG once again...

mig-21.jpg

Me in front of a B-29. Me granda flew in one of these during WWII:

mateisib-29.jpg

iak.jpg

echipa.jpg

aviatori-1.jpg

Me-109.jpg

p-39-1.jpg

Marv

A-List Customer
Great pics, anybody going to the Spit Anniversary weekend at Duxford next Sat and Sun as matter of interest.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marv said:
Great pics, anybody going to the Spit Anniversary weekend at Duxford next Sat and Sun as matter of interest.

I'd almost give my right arm to go, but not this time. I've only ever seen maybe two Spitfires up close and have never seen one fly. (except in movies and on video, of course.)

Hondo

One Too Many
Well yeah! better late than never, sorry for missing this post, some great photos, out west (Northern California) we don't get big air shows like these, I hope one day soon to make an event as cool as these in UK.
The B17 Pink Lady is an awsome sight, history channel just ran a story on P-38's. Thanks for sharing, looks like you had a great time:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff