Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dynafelt Bogart Fedora - Anyone Have One?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
In a lot of ways, you get what you pay for in fedoras. This is possibly a good "starter fedora," but the crown at 4 inches is very short. Again, based on your "disposable income" it might be a good choice for a starting point, but if you have the chance you'll end up buying another one later for more money. Give some thought to waiting a bit and getting a higher end one in a few months. But if you just want to get started...hey, at least you'll be wearing a cool looking hat between now and then!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Seeing how you really like the hat, and it is a wool/fur mix, which is better than all wool, and its under $100, then its probably the hat for you at this time. My first few fedoras were wool, mainly because of economics and lack of experience. As I got more into fedoras, the woolies went into the attic as I acquired some fur felts.

If you like it, go for it. If you decide you want to pursue hat wearing then you made a good choice. If you decide that its really not for you, then you havent lost much. Then again, if you wait, like Blackthorn suggested, and buy an all fur felt hat, and then decide its not for you, you could always sell it here.:)

fmw

One Too Many
The other thing I might suggest is looking over the Stetson line and then calling the Hatco outlet store in Texas (Resistol) or Missouri (Stetson) and getting their price. I have nothing against Hats Plus but you can buy for less at the Outlet stores. I bought this Stetson Whippet for $99 there.

caribouwhippet2.jpg

It is a little over the price of the hat you mention but the Whippet is all fur felt. When you gain some experience you can look at Ebay as a source. The Akubra Flinders hat in my avatar came brand new with tags for under $50 delivered. Lucky on my part, I suppose, but possible occasionally. If you decide to go for the wool hat, Hats Plus is about as good as it gets as an on line supplier.

Last edited:

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Dyna-felt (not the Bogart) with a 3" brim that I bought new off e-Bay for about $20. It came open crown and I found it was easy to crease with a LIGHT application of steam, so as not to risk the wool. After treating it liberally with a rain and stain repellent, it makes a great bad weather hat with the wide brim and it looks fine except, as you say, the crown is lower than I like. Here is a photo of it; the black color washes out the side dents, which are fairly prominent in person:

Dynafelt001.jpg

Brando11

A-List Customer
If you have any brick & mortar hat shops in your area, you may want to spend some time just investigating. There's really no substitute for touching the product, trying on different styles, and seeing what looks best on you. The sales clerks in these shops can do an excellent job of steering you towards hats that fit your look and your budget, plus you get to support a local merchant.

fmw

One Too Many
I fine except, as you say, the crown is lower than I like. Here is a photo of it; the black color washes out the side dents, which are fairly prominent in person:

I like the short crown on my and I like it on you as well. On me, the tall crowns look like dunce hats. All just a matter of preference. You got me interested in Dynafelt, though.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Thanks for all the great advice! It's really helpful. Eastern NC seems to be devoid of merchants with fedoras other than the $30, unlined, felt "Indian Jones" variety. I think the take from all your advice is that the Dynafelt would not necessarily be a mistake for a first fedora, but I'd probably be well-advised to think about shopping around a bit more and at least consider throwing another $50 into the kitty.

Again, thanks. I love fedora lounge, good honest advice and a variety of well thought out opinions without the vitriol!

Rottweiler

New in Town
I would strongly recommend starting with a fur felt hat. Wool is junk in the rain. Even when you move up to a better hat in the future, you'll want a beater that holds up in the rain. For $88 shipped, you can get a Jaxon Bogart with a free hat brush. That's the lowest price I could find for pure fur when I was starting out.

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
I would strongly recommend starting with a fur felt hat. Wool is junk in the rain. Even when you move up to a better hat in the future, you'll want a beater that holds up in the rain. For $88 shipped, you can get a Jaxon Bogart with a free hat brush. That's the lowest price I could find for pure fur when I was starting out.

It is actually $88 plus shipping which for me is about $10. For a little bit more I could get an Akubra. I'm still debating my first fedora as well.

DRB

One Too Many
Think fur, not wool. Ask yourself, do you want a short crown or a tall crown, then go visit the hat store that Dano. suggested. There is nothing like seeing a large selection and trying them on to get the correct fit. Enjoy your new hat!

Old Rogue

Practically Family

Thanks, I like that hat also, and I see what you mean about the quality of fur vs. wool felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo