Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early Aquascutum tweed jacket

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
Yes, about a 38 R, I tend to just see if a jacket looks too long or short, I have ones from 28-31" in length. I have short arms for my height (Stops me spending the change in my pockets ;-) ) so normally have to shorten sleeves.

Ideally I wear a 38 - 32 waist. Although, working away a lot that sometimes increases to 34" and if on the bike a lot will be 31"!

Ben

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Shortening the sleeves on this one would be a sacrilege! It's so difficult to find vintage stuff with long sleeves while there's plenty stuff around with already short sleeves. Too bad the shoulders are too narrow for me, or I'd jump on it.

A very nice jacket, Ben. That seller has quite a few nice tweeds, IIRC.

what's you ideal jacket sleeve length ?

excuse my prying; i just like to know who is a bit bigger than me and who is a bit smaller so i know who i can offer clothes that don't fit me.

Oh, oh! hand in air for very small stuff …

Shortening the sleeves on this one would be a sacrilege! It's so difficult to find vintage stuff with long sleeves while there's plenty stuff around with already short sleeves. Too bad the shoulders are too narrow for me, or I'd jump on it.

Well, shortening the sleeves doesn't stop them being re-lengthened. It's not a terminal modification …

bk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Those appear to be 'working' buttons on the cuffs so any shortening would need to be done from the shoulder.

That said, I think that it's ridiculous to forgo needed alterations on any garment, for any reason. There is a member here who has a formidable collection of vintage clothing who refuses to make any nessesary adjustments for fear of 'ruining' the garments. Needless to say, his clothes fit terribly giving him a somewhat comical look.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
What Qirrel said.

I am not against alterations per se. Far from it! I nearly always have to have stuff altered, or I would never find anything that fits. It's just that in my experience it's so much more difficult to find jackets with sleeves as long as these while it's fairly easy to find them in regular length. If you have short arms, find a jacket with short sleeves or regular sleeves and have them altered. There are lots of jackets in 38/40R but hardly any in 38/40XL. No need to cut up the few that are left.

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
You can only alter the sleeves so far anyway, even from the shoulders. If the jacket has very very long sleeves, it will be too long in the body, so not worth the effort as it will never look correct. My point being that I am a 38/R in jackets yet, have slightly shorter arms than a lot of people!

I generally have to have a lot of suits altered by say half an inch, but, i like them to fit as well as I can. My thoughts are that I will own them a long time, and really do not wish to wear items that don't fit.

I find it comical that people will not alter the clothes. It would be different if you were changing the cut etc, but, when the original tailor made it, they had an aesthetic in mind, and strive to make the original owner to look as good as possible in the creation. It is a discredit to make their creation look bad! Also, when someone gives me a convincing argument as to the historical significance of a sleeve that is left at its original length as opposed to being shortened/lengthened by an inch, I will stop doing it!

Kindest regards

Ben

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
I don't believe (other than finances) that there's ever a reason to wear any clothes that don't fit. We favor an era where style was much more prevalent than today. Is there a better way to show sartorial homage to that era than to wear clothes that fit properly? Not to mention the fact that ladies. I don't recall ever hearing anyone say, "Hello, that's a very nice sloppily fitting vintage coat you have on." I've heard many complements at events with the well turned out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters