Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early STETSON Models- ads Pre-Depression

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Robert - this is an awesome thread!

I recently saw a couple of cool Stetson ads that I will try to dig up. Thanks to Josh for posting that 1916 brochure, as it fits in nicely with what I was about to post here - I own what is probably a 3X velour Kenwood and just picked up this photo that seems to show two examples of it (or something very close). Amazingly plush hat that can be formed to almost any bash imaginable:

$(KGrHqR,!hgE1f8cVfoPBNlVeBkCO!~~_12.JPG

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Robert - this is an awesome thread!

I recently saw a couple of cool Stetson ads that I will try to dig up. Thanks to Josh for posting that 1916 brochure, as it fits in nicely with what I was about to post here - I own what is probably a 3X velour Kenwood and just picked up this photo that seems to show two examples of it (or something very close). Amazingly plush hat that can be formed to almost any bash imaginable:

$(KGrHqR,!hgE1f8cVfoPBNlVeBkCO!~~_12.JPG

Do you have pics of the Kenwood? I would love to see it. Judging from the early hats that Ive handled, it seems like you can mold and shape them into any bash and then just pop them right out again like it was never there. They are really spectacular. Thanks for posting the picture. It just makes me want to buy some stiff collar shirts even more. :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
A couple of the derbies in the 1916 catalog say that they're available in "all proportions". I guess that the shape of the curl, the shape of the crown, and maybe the felt characteristics are the distinguishing characteristics of those models, as crown height and brim were advertised as variable.

Thanks for posting those.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Do you have pics of the Kenwood? I would love to see it. Judging from the early hats that Ive handled, it seems like you can mold and shape them into any bash and then just pop them right out again like it was never there. They are really spectacular. Thanks for posting the picture. It just makes me want to buy some stiff collar shirts even more. :)

I could never get a very good pic of that hat, but while I never wear it (it just doesn't really work in 2011), it's always been my favorite and I could never let it go. The 3X Beaver is my favorite Stetson felt, and the 1910-ish longhair version of the 3X is just spectacular. I also have 3X Beaver westerns from the '20s and '50s, and they just aren't the same.

You gotta experience that plush black beaver at least once.

Here are some pics:

MultPics.jpg

Last edited:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
A couple of the derbies in the 1916 catalog say that they're available in "all proportions". I guess that the shape of the curl, the shape of the crown, and maybe the felt characteristics are the distinguishing characteristics of those models, as crown height and brim were advertised as variable.

Thanks for posting those.
As rigid as most of them are, to me nothing feels better than a derby if you get one that's exactly your shape and size. Just wish I felt okay wearing them in public - I had the perfect one and sold it :(

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Here's a rare Karl Moon Stetson ad - large and with a nice signature. These normally go for $800 - $1,200. It matches the decor of my home really well, but's just too scarey looking to hang on the wall. Looks like a post-mortem to me.

Karl Moon Stetson Ad Photo

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Hello Scott. I haven't seen you around here in quite a while. Maybe I just missed your posts. After all, I'VE been out myself lately. In any case, it's good to see you back.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I could never get a very good pic of that hat, but while I never wear it (it just doesn't really work in 2011), it's always been my favorite and I could never let it go. The 3X Beaver is my favorite Stetson felt, and the 1910-ish longhair version of the 3X is just spectacular. I also have 3X Beaver westerns from the '20s and '50s, and they just aren't the same.

You gotta experience that plush black beaver at least once.

Here are some pics:

MultPics.jpg

That hat looks SO AMAZING! The quality of the felt just looks amazing. Excellent!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
Is that a 2 1/8 inch ribbon?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
from the Nothing But Stetson Ads thread

Thanks for posting these, Lefty! I have to try and find a "Lyndale," it looks like a really neat hat. I wonder, did most early hats have the model name stamped in the hat somewhere? In not, then many people on the lounge may have an early Stetson and not even know the model name.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've had several of those early 20th century Stetsons with no model name. Frustrating. Typically, they are the 1900 Paris Exposition with 2 medallions on the liner and something like "feather weight" stamped on the sweat.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I've had several of those early 20th century Stetsons with no model name. Frustrating. Typically, they are the 1900 Paris Exposition with 2 medallions on the liner and something like "feather weight" stamped on the sweat.

Yeah, it's frustrating. I saw an early 1900's Stetson receipt the other day with several models I had never heard of. I think many of these model names don't even exist in ads, so unless you're lucky enough to find a sales receipt or old brochure, you might never know about them; even then, the receipt gives no clue as to what the model looked like. Most of those model names in the 1916 brochure are only documented in that brochure - not in any actual hats. The 'Motor' and 'Special' are rare exceptions.

Zetwal - I only have posted a few times this year. Busy with other hobbies.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1896 The Clothier and Furnisher Magazine Ad
1896StetsonHatsfootball.jpg

1896 The Clothier and Furnisher Magazine Ad
1896StetsonHatsWinterSanta.jpg

1897 The Clothier and Furnisher Magazine Ad
1897StetsonHats.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I was excited to find this today....its a Specific advertisement for the 1916 Stetson Pacemaker. This ad is from a 1916 issue of "The American Hatter." The front and rear pinches on the crown that are shown in this ad was a very common style for the pacemaker. Another style that was also very popular in general during the 1916-1918 seasons was the tall telescope crown. In this thread there are pictures of the pacemaker being worn with the telescope style as well. I believe that my pacemaker was originally with a telescope because even after heavy steaming, the horizontal telescope line is still faintly seen.

1916StetsonPacemakerAdAmericanHatter.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I'm going to throw these pics of the 1914-1915 Stetson Salesman book/Marketing catalog that I got last year. They have their own thread, but they should be listed in this one as well.

Well I got these plates and they are spectacular. There are 12 plates all together, but really its 6 plates that are doubled. In other words, there are two sets of 6. Whats interesting though is the fact that the first set has writing on them. At first I thought it was a salesman catalog, but after looking at the numbers, I don't think so. It may have belonged to Stetsons marketing department. I'm unsure. Each hat has a Stetson block number next to it along with measurements for brims with and without the curls. There are comments on the bow work, etc. This is REALLY interesting stuff. Enjoy :eek:)

First Set WITH writing

IMG1.jpg

IMG.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member