Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Earmuff Etiquette?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Over the hat? I don't think so. It'd crush the brim up on the sides and look stoopid.

So how do you wear 'em? Strapped around the back of the head? Under the hat? Not done, period?

It's 23¬? in NY today, and freezing ears want to know.

MattJH

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Over the hat? I don't think so. It'd crush the brim up on the sides and look stoopid.

So how do you wear 'em? Strapped around the back of the head? Under the hat? Not done, period?

It's 23¬? in NY today, and freezing ears want to know.

I don't have an answer to your question about earmuffs, but I did want to make a suggestion just in case! I know there's a propensity here to dislike Tilleys and I understand the reasoning behind it, but the TW2 Winter Tilley has a built-in flap that protects the ears if you choose to fold it down. It's extremely functional and practical. I wore mine today. And unlike the boater-style Tilleys, this one is a charcoal color and doesn't look bad at all.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Use a scarf. There are a number of ways to do it:

Put the middle of it over the top of your head, wrap the two ends under your chin and around the back of the neck to end in the front. Use a thin enough scarf that your hat will still fit.

or...

Put the middle of the scarf at the back of your head, high enough to cover your ears but not interfere with your hat. Wrap the ends forward around your face, covering the nose, around the back of the neck to cover the lower portion, bring to the front.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
For the luva pete, fellas, I already know how to use a scarf and I don't want a Tilley. I just wanna know how to use earmuffs. :eusa_doh:

Right now it's looking like across-the-back. If I could see some period pictures, it would help.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I noticed they forgot to give you instructions on wearing your hat:
Carefully pick it up by the brim, use two hands as so not to drop it. If it was resting on the crown rotate the hat 180 degrees so the opening is facing down. Raise the hat until it clears the top of your head, if you don't you will bump it into your face. As the opening aligns with the top of your head, lower the hat until a slight resistance is met. And there you go!;)

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
There are ear muffs out there now that are designed to be worn behind the head. There are a couple of brands and styles. Here are a couple:

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=469&CatID=34839&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=10f3999&ProdSeq=1&ProdCount=2&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=ear+warmer&RefPage=SearchProducts&mscssid=64291d991eb2048f39a9a2f3c6f4f3486xMnVNoVzaGWxMnVNoVzaGo200B838C2D455D19EF2A5E3A42B327E22C840701719&CmCatId=SearchResults|SearchProducts|469&FromBanners=N&S4DeptID=469&S4PageNum=1&S4PageSize=28&Dep=men

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...=ear+warmers&qs=5090883-PrfmcsGoogle_12667834

You can also find them at many stores where you would purchase gloves, hats, and scarves.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
One silly comment deserves another

This pair is quite dashing if you have a fuzzy fedora :p

L51046_Milky_Blue.jpg

Then again, this might be a good choice. I feel quite sure that they would not blow off, even in the Windy City.

tradition.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
We're not much help, are we?

Fletch, put the band behind your head. Forget etiquette, just do what works.

J.B.

Practically Family
More Than U Ever Wanted 2 Know About Earmuffs...

From my own personal experience and observation in the fifties and sixties -- men wore the kind of earmuffs that were connected by a thin wire -- the kind actually invented by Chester Greenwood of Farmington, Maine in 1873. They were worn across the top of the head and then the hat was placed on top. This proper way to wear earmuffs with a hat is evidenced by a pic of Chester himself...

greenwoodsb6.jpg

...and a later advertisement featuring his son Clinton as the earmuff-under-hat model!

earmuffsclintonqt7.gif

The first Saturday in December each year is celebrated as Chester Greenwood Day in Farmington (complete with parade) :arated: and giant earmuffs placed over the town's police cruisers?!

Chester's Wiki.

Oh BTW, I recommend you choose one of your larger hats for wearing with earmuffs! If you try to wear 'muffs' with one of your one/two-size-too-small hats, it will be uncomfortable!

Hope this helps!
emogrinyespe7.gif

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Also, I've seen sets of earmuffs that had no connecting band or wire whatsoever. I had a pair once--they snapped onto one's ears and stayed there with elastic tension or something. I have oddly-shaped ears, so they didn't work very well for me, but they might for you.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You don't appear to have oddly shaped ears. Then again I could be distracted by the topper.

Here's what I did yesterday. Worked like a charm.

361588186_dc951cb4eb_m.jpg

Yeah, I need a haircut. I owe my barber a few favors so I'm lying low.

I assume few to no Greenwood Ear Protectors survive, due to the thinness of the wire band?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Nice leather band on the Saks product. Won't catch and pull hair so readily as my plastic adjustaband. Maybe I'll stop in and check 'em out when I'm next in town.

My muffs pictured upthread are sheepskin, which is both comfy and eye appealing.

J.B.

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Nice leather band on the Saks product. Won't catch and pull hair so readily as my plastic adjustaband. Maybe I'll stop in and check 'em out when I'm next in town.

My muffs pictured upthread are sheepskin, which is both comfy and eye appealing.

Of course --but I myself long for that recurring vintage experience of profanity and pain when -- as my hair became caught in the slider, tangled, and pulled out by the roots -- always resulting in my quickly letting go of one end of a muff, in turn causing the sling-shotted loose end to smack me violently upside the face in freezing, Arctic, snot-cubing weather during which incident my eyeglasses were always rendered briskly to the sidewalk where I promptly stepped on them...

Oh yeah...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic