Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman ELC B-6 - Have questions, will travel

3onaMatch

One of the Regulars
Hey all. So I'm considering a new jacket purchase for the winter. There are loads of pics and convos. concerning RAF jackets and B-3's but what about the B-6? I'm looking for a nice trimm-ish fitting silhouette, less poofy, A-2-esque. The Eastman B-6 broken grain seems right up my alley.

Anyone out there with pics (fit pics, too!) and/or insights concerning this model? How's the sizing? The only frame of reference I have is an Eastman house A-2 on which I needed to size-down to get the correct fit. Worried about sizing down on the B-6 though. Measurements can be tricky because of how thick the jacket is.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
The B-6 does fit trimmer than a B-3, so it's a good option. You might also consider a D-1 (very similiar to the B-6) which has a simpler back design.
Since you mentioned A-2-esque a vintage (one-piece back) L.L. Bean A-2 makes a great cold weather jacket down to about 20 degrees F. There is one of these insulated ones in a size 38 on ebay right now- http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-LL-Bean...49?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item3ccb9723f5 The seller's pit to pit measurement sounds a little large so I wonder how accurate it is. I own two of them and they fit more trim than the newer L.L. Bean A-2s.

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
Thanks for remembering me Van.

I just put the B6 up for sale on eBay yesterday, if you do a search for ELC B-6 it should come up.

damien, it's a size 44 way too big for you IMHO wouldn't want to sell you the jacket and have you end up where I am. Good Luck.

Dave

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hi,

don't know if it helps but here's Olli's AERO b-6 with lots of pictures.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?52376-My-new-AERO-B-6-Shearling-Flight-Jacket

I've seen and handled the jacket and it really is a beauty...thick plush fleece but also very strong and thick leather. Thin skins can sometimes be an issue with shearling jackets because usually they are selected for fleece and not for leather quality.
The Eastman is slightly more authentic but their .50 cal fleece is not my cup of tea. Too shallow and itchy but it looks good on pictures.

I've got an Aero B-3 here (my sons) and it's really a lovely jacket. It all comes down to what you like. Supposedly, ELC uses new sheep that is better than the old stuff. I never handled one, but I never liked the pics of the "leather" side as Jan says. Are you concerned on authenticity? If not, then there's lots of options in the B-X realm.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
One thing I've wondered about the B-3 and B-6 is the white fleece, does it get dirty/grubby easily? One of the things that I like about Irvins is their honey-coloured fleece, which would seem at least be a bit dirt-resistant.

One thing I've wondered about the B-3 and B-6 is the white fleece, does it get dirty/grubby easily? One of the things that I like about Irvins is their honey-coloured fleece, which would seem at least be a bit dirt-resistant.
In my experience with a lesser one and my son's, they stay incredibly clean. I think the fleece has lanolin (I think HD mentioned this before) and it doesn't really get dirty. Maybe if you're working the farm/ranch in it or in battle, but what I've seen is it's not something to worry over.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I had considered an Eastman B6 in their 'Redskin' Fleece, i tried one at the War & Piece show this year. Personally I did not like the thinner fleece compared to their B3 which i have and the surface was almost 'crackely' if you can see what I mean. I also only wear sheepkin jackets with T shirts.
Nothing wrong with the quality of the jacket whatsoever otherwise. Just after trying one I would not now order one of these, maybe I'm just too comfy in my B3 Roughwear.
John

3onaMatch

One of the Regulars
Hey thanks, everyone, for all the input. John and others with ELC experience, how are the B-6's sized? Should I size down for a trim fit? I don't want to overdo it and wind up with a too-tight jacket.

Some consider Aero's renditions "not accurate", but they're a lovely and robust jacket. If I get one, that's likely going to be the one. I too (again, only pics) don't like the "cardboard" looking sheerling that appears in the ELC jackets. Sheep is clearly more prone to tearing though - my tough but cheap model got snagged on a rose tree and ripped a big hole in it. OTOH, my other jackets laugh off such treatment :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I suppose, if you're not dead set on accuracy, Aero could add some horse hide armour on to the arms of a B-6 for a bit of protection. Heading over to interview Ken C in a professional capacity on Thursday, actually, may ask him about that.

I suppose, if you're not dead set on accuracy, Aero could add some horse hide armour on to the arms of a B-6 for a bit of protection. Heading over to interview Ken C in a professional capacity on Thursday, actually, may ask him about that.
Certainly the HH on the B-3 is a big help. And it looks great too - esp in contrasting colors.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's a lovely look. The B-3 may a bit too heavy duty for kicking around Glasgow, so a B-6 with some contrasting HH added on might be a nice compromise. (The shearling fund continues apace...)

chamboid

One of the Regulars
If you are in london pop along to a shop in Seven Dials called The Vintage Show Room. Earlier this year I picked up a new ELC Roughwear B-6 for £230 and know they have size 36 in there too as it was the first one I looked at. The one I got is size 34 and fits great so downsizing is an option. The coating it tough but not cardboardy.

It's a perfect intermediate sheepskin jacket. The ANJ-4 is also a great jacket but much thicker. Surprising I have a size 38 in that which fits well, like an original 36.

Check out the shop though it's a little gem

Last edited:

riskyB

New in Town
My vote is for the ELC RW B-6 or their standard D-1. I have an older model (RW) and love the color of the fleece and texture of the hide. It seems to be cut trimmer than my standard ELC B-6. I am not sure how the new ELC RW B-6's fit. The D-1 is also another great choice and very easy to wear. It is probably the one I grab the most when needing a cool weather jacket. Since the cut if more boxy on the D-1 it seems to fit over everything from a t-shirt to sweaters. The Aero's I have seen (D-1) seem to have a little longer fleece which might be a nice compromise if you didn't want to go as heavy as a B-3.

This isn't an ElC
..but here's a pic of my Aero B-6 when purchased about 8 yrs ago..

afb32.jpg

and 4 yrs ago...

100_0744.jpg

The fleece is actually a very nice golden cream color.
HD

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy