Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Leather Clothing USAC A-1 Capeskin Flying

HPA Rep

Vendor
This is one of my favorite leather jackets, largely due to the inherent classic good looks and the amazing light weight of the genuine capeskin, which makes this feel as though I’m wearing a chamois shirt or light sweater. The overall impact of this combination of style, looks and near-weightless comfort is a jacket appropriate for wear even as part of an ensemble in lieu of a sport coat; often I wear the A-1 indoors at the office. This is a super piece for spring and fall, if nothing else.

So as to help put the A-1 now following into some sort of fit perspective, it’s a size 40R. I'm doing the modeling and my body measures are as follows: 40" chest circumference, 30" waist, 5' 9" tall, 148 lbs. with a lean, athletic build.

We have most sizes in stock in the A-1 jacket.

All items we ship to Canada are assumed by Canadian customs officials to be of U. S. origin, thus qualifying for duty-free import under NAFTA, so Canadian customers benefit greatly and should only have to pay national and provincial taxes, which are, for the most, unavoidable and would apply to items even of Canadian origin.

You can see product details, detailed and larger images, fit tips, and product measurements on our website here:

https://www.historypreservation.com...her-clothing-usac-a-1-capeskin-flying-jacket/

_DSC0003adjwo.jpg _DSC0009adjwo.jpg _DSC0015adjwo.jpg

CBI

One Too Many
wearing mine right now, these are super jackets and I have been happy with mine.

John Lever

One Too Many
Sadly I sold mine but I can honestly say these are very nice jackets and a treat to wear. My friend Ian has had several versions of A1 and he has sold all of them apart from the Eastman. This design only works in Capeskin and Gary has nailed it.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Sadly I sold mine but I can honestly say these are very nice jackets and a treat to wear. My friend Ian has had several versions of A1 and he has sold all of them apart from the Eastman. This design only works in Capeskin and Gary has nailed it.

I agree, John. I've seen the A-1 in horsehide, cowhide, goatskin and maybe some other leathers, but capeskin is the stuff. I once saw a vintage civilian A-1 style that was made of sueded capeskin and that was a very interesting jacket that I'd like to see some maker produce today.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tried one on once on a visit to ELC..Mmmmmm...off down there Tuesday, I may have to ask to try an A-1 again.

bn1966

My only dilemma is that I also need another A-2 (current one a bit snug) & I can't stretch to both. What I do need is a nice light jacket because our weather in the UK stays warmer longer & I love a light leather..could be a toss up between a goatskin A-2 or the A-1 what do you reckon?

HPA Rep

Vendor
A-1 all the way! I admit to owning the old Cable RC A-2 in goatskin and I do enjoy the look of this and it fits to a tee, but my A-1 is much more the go-to jacket. I choose the A-1 due to the capeskin Eastman uses being absolutely delicious and the look being far less military, not that I dislike something looking military, but I have so much that is military in my wardrobe, that the A-1 makes for a welcome change. I'm also given to wearing the A-1 indoors as part of an ensemble and usually with a tie. And if you like public approval, I get far more unsolicited public compliments on the A-1 than on any A-2 I've worn short of the 1980s.

HPA Rep

Vendor
One other point: While many makers have vintage A-2s from which they derive their copies to varying degrees of high authenticity, Eastman is the only maker outside of Japan to have a vintage jacket to copy, and from what I see coming from Japan, they don't typically use capeskin as the leather in their copies. This makes the Eastman A-1 jacket extra special to me, because it's not based on photos but is based directly from the holy grail of American leather flying jackets.

bn1966

You're tempting me! I could do with something a bit less military looking (everything else is), I remember it being light when I tried one on years ago and placed an order for a RW A-2. How does the fit compare to an A-2? Is it as snug?

bn1966

I read some where that it's a bit more fragile than some (not that I'd use one as an escape and evasion jacket).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
A-1 all the way! I admit to owning the old Cable RC A-2 in goatskin and I do enjoy the look of this and it fits to a tee, but my A-1 is much more the go-to jacket. I choose the A-1 due to the capeskin Eastman uses being absolutely delicious and the look being far less military, not that I dislike something looking military, but I have so much that is military in my wardrobe, that the A-1 makes for a welcome change. I'm also given to wearing the A-1 indoors as part of an ensemble and usually with a tie. And if you like public approval, I get far more unsolicited public compliments on the A-1 than on any A-2 I've worn short of the 1980s.

I can see that. A guy is an A2 is a bit of a cliche. An A1 is something fresh.

CBI

One Too Many
If you are in to A-2's, you gotta have an A-1. It has some vintage features/cut that is so unique, really nothing like it. I own an recent ELC cape A-1 and Good Wear A-1 in Vermont Espresso Horsehide (a hide I believe GW no longer carries). its a super lightweight hide that has about the same drape as cape. I like both A-1's a lot. I believe i have owned 4 or 5 A-1's over the years. Spearhead Militaria on eBay sells a terrific wool A-1 for only $75. Not instead of leather/cape but a great additional A-1.

John Lever

One Too Many
My first A1 was about 15 years ago from Aero. At the time is was the only real repro I could afford.
They weren't that popular back then but has really become a must have. I should have kept it it would look amazing by now.

HPA Rep

Vendor
You're tempting me! I could do with something a bit less military looking (everything else is), I remember it being light when I tried one on years ago and placed an order for a RW A-2. How does the fit compare to an A-2? Is it as snug?

It's trimmer than most Eastman A-2s, especially in the arm diameter, but the capeskin is so much more soft and pliable than any A-2 leather that the A-1 comes out the winner with near-weightless comfort.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I read some where that it's a bit more fragile than some (not that I'd use one as an escape and evasion jacket).

Capeskin is sheepskin, so on the one hand it's more fragile than horsehide, steer hide or goatskin, but you'd be amazed at how resilient and tough this vegetable-tanned capeskin is. It can take quite a good deal of abuse and use, and it stretches if you pull on a section, whereas the aforementioned hides would be fully immovable if you tried to stretch them. If you're thinking about hide punctures, you could deliberately puncture capeskin more readily with something such as, say, a screwdriver, but it would still take some effort and I wouldn't be put off from an A-1 for this reason. But if we're talking taking a good fall off of a motorcycle and scraping along the highway, then capeskin would lose in that regard more easily.

bn1966

Thanks for all your input..much appreciated,

I wasn't planning on using it when taking to two wheels, too trim (shoulders & chest would be my problem) could be a problem but then if it's got some stretch in it...looking for a 48 so fingers crossed there will be one I can try on Tuesday :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy