Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman thunderbird A-1

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,
Just had a good look at the Eastman Thunderbird jacket. It is gorgeous. Not my usual style as I ride a couple of motorbikes and tend to gravitate towards different like jackets. I just think it is a very smart jacket. I would be interested to see it on a human? Anyone got one, or any thoughts. Would be interested to hear more about it. Cheers

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
It's an interesting jacket, but I'm not really sold on it. I'm a bit of a stickler for one hide and mixtures of wool and leather (or grizzlies) don't really appeal. I can't get my head around the leather pocket flaps on wool, although I have seen period photos of a similar jacket style.
The hide on the sleeves is horse I think, which might make it more robust than cape though if you're planning to ride in it.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Would look good on a pre war flathead Harley Davidson or Indian etc, with a semi Highway patrol look. You know with those Jodphur trousers and high boots.
just my thoughts, John

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for that guys. It isnt a jacket I would usually like. For so,e reason it appeals. My harleys perform like pre war flat heads....domt know if I could pull the boots etc off! But I know what your saying. I just thought it seeemed like quite a nice package. The horse sleeves look great?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Wouldnt mind some pics of it in the flesh damienweaver. It looks really smart....how are Eastman to deal with?

3onaMatch

One of the Regulars
Will get some pics posted as soon as I take them. Been too cold here for lightweight jackets. Can't comment on dealing with Eastman because I got the jacket secondhand in like-new condition.

Edward

Bartender
Don't know if I'd use it on a bike (can't see it doing much in the event of a spill), but it's a cracking looking jacket. I've also lusted after a couple of variations on the same theme from Buzz Rickson...

$T2eC16R,!ysE9sy0iHyJBRRIly7Kfw~~60_57.JPG

AAF%20training%20jacket.jpg

devilish

A-List Customer
I have gone back and forth over that Thunderbird, some days I like it others not. I have to say though, of all the mixed wool/leather jackets out there I think that is one of the top choices. (On the days I like it, at least)

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Just a thought but for the money involved . . .

that is, a retail of 700 GBP . . .

you could modify a wool Spearhead A-1 with leather sleeves and a patch for much less.

Spearhead A-1 $75
Rotten sheepskin ANJ4 or M445 jacket on Ebay - $50-75 (to get sleeve reinforcements, pockets, extra cuffs etc)
Air Corps Patch - $10-35
Tailor to do the mods and make the A-1 trimmer fitting if nec $50-100

Upper end: $300 versus the Eastman at $1000+

Edward

Bartender
I have gone back and forth over that Thunderbird, some days I like it others not. I have to say though, of all the mixed wool/leather jackets out there I think that is one of the top choices. (On the days I like it, at least)

I really like it - no strings attached! ;)

that is, a retail of 700 GBP . . .

you could modify a wool Spearhead A-1 with leather sleeves and a patch for much less.

Spearhead A-1 $75
Rotten sheepskin ANJ4 or M445 jacket on Ebay - $50-75 (to get sleeve reinforcements, pockets, extra cuffs etc)
Air Corps Patch - $10-35
Tailor to do the mods and make the A-1 trimmer fitting if nec $50-100

Upper end: $300 versus the Eastman at $1000+

I like the Spearhead wool A1. I've actually considered one of those as-is, without modding it. I have their Travis Bickle edition tanker jaket, and for the money it's superb.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I'm keen on one too.
I have one that is too small that I've given to my eldest son.
Great quality for the money and I'll be buying a larger one.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Just bought a Spearhead woollen 'A-1' (not sure of the true designation) and have been told that they'll be offering one of these hybrids with leather sleeves in May. Not one for me, but it'll be significantly cheaper than the other versions on the market.
My woollen jacket is perfectly acceptable quality for the money.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
It's not really an A-1 in my book either (hence the inverted commas), I just don't know what to call these wool/leather hybrids.
Nevertheless, it's an authentic '20s/'30s civvy design, albeit not one for me.

Last edited:

rus1980

Familiar Face
All,

I'm looking at purchasing this jacket. I would appreciate hearing from others who own it. I wrote Eastman leather two days ago about the jacket, but they haven't replied to my email. I'm relatively new to leather jackets (I own a perfecto and a Pegasus D pocket "s") and I'm looking to add something like the Thunderbird to my collection.

I wrote T-birds in Paris to see if I could source the jacket from them. They said they'll have one in stock soon.

My major concern is getting the right fit and what is the best way to purchase this jacket. My chest size measures a 44, but I have a heavier build. I think I should probably order the 46, but I'm worried it will be too loose.

I used the Eastman jacket sizing program on their website and it tells me I should order the 46. Does anyone have any experience with how accurate the Eastman jacket sizing app is?

Rus

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
All,

I'm looking at purchasing this jacket. I would appreciate hearing from others who own it. I wrote Eastman leather two days ago about the jacket, but they haven't replied to my email. I'm relatively new to leather jackets (I own a perfecto and a Pegasus D pocket "s") and I'm looking to add something like the Thunderbird to my collection.

I wrote T-birds in Paris to see if I could source the jacket from them. They said they'll have one in stock soon.

My major concern is getting the right fit and what is the best way to purchase this jacket. My chest size measures a 44, but I have a heavier build. I think I should probably order the 46, but I'm worried it will be too loose.

I used the Eastman jacket sizing program on their website and it tells me I should order the 46. Does anyone have any experience with how accurate the Eastman jacket sizing app is?

Rus

Give Gary a ring. I've found him extremely helpful when I ordered from them a few years back and I was in the same quandary size-wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran