Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman's 'new' offering...

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Aesthetics aside I always found the pockets on my Eastman a2 (Monarch repro I believe) hard to use because of their placement towards the sides. Never noticed they might be high also. I always imagined they are where they are because it is a relatively large size (44).

I'm editing this to say that I have looked at a lot of pictures of real a2's and the placement of pockets varies a great deal, and my Eastman looks right in the ball park. My issue with the pockets probably has more to do with my rotator cuff problems than the jacket. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I dont care how many Jackets it takes to know the difference. Lets not start a measuring contest, its just not the way. A stink can turn into a Raging Sh*t storm too quickly. Forgiveness is divine, and my own ignorance must be pardoned along with any others with a different Oppinion.

Case in point; If There is a Reason for this Variation or not, meaning; was it Deliberate or an oversight.

Enlighten us Andrew! that Last comment contains no solid answers, its slanted with a slight sarcastic overtone. Not all of us have the luxury seeing what is a horseshoe and what is a Hand grenade. Sometimes we forget where we all started;

I ordered my Eastman B-2 Hat when I was about 16, and it ended up being NOTHING like I was expecting...I was Just happy I got anything at all.

I still dont*understand from your Perspective why its a crucial and key importance in the correctness of this particular Jacket Contract...please feel free to enlighten me on the significance between the original and New Jacket, keeping in mind I know absolutely nothing more than what the pictures tell my Eyes.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
If you look at the images of the Monarch on the Acme Depot site, the pockets are placed like they are on my repro. Look at the front image and side image. I suspect the pockets were placed where the person sewing them on happened to do it. I found out when I first had to look into manufacturing issues that products with the same name from the same company always vary to some degree as material prices change, different subs do the work, etc. It's just not reasonable to compare a repro to one or even a dozen examples of something produced in quantity and pronounce the repro somehow wrong.

Brettafett

One Too Many
I don't think one can 'pin' anything specific down for sure. theres an original WW2 Star on Ebay now with the weirdest measurements... ;/
IMO picking up a $1000+ original maker jacket and tweaking lengths in no way detracts from the 'originality'. Way better to get a jacket that fits perfectly, than one exact to 'one' particular WW2 jacket, (from which a pattern was made, which no doubt varied from batch to batch and order to order)... but doesn't fit right.

Anyway, back to the topic. I received my new ELC vintage Russet sample and all I can say is WOW. Yes, other makers have some great 'character' hide, but this is the nicest hide I've seen so far and I have current samples from everyone.
I love the colour, mid brown russet without too much 'reddy' tones and so much character and grain. Just messing about with it and already the lighter base colours beginning to show through. Gonna be 'nuts' once broken in after some wear.
This will apparently be offered as the RW 1401 and Werber standards from now on. Will be interesting to see what an actual production jacket looks like with this stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy